Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #31
topquark
Connoisseur
topquark began at the beginning.

Device: K3, PW2
I just checked my above conversions on my actual Kindle Keyboard and the dropcaps are perfect with the medium line spacing setting. I guess there is no way to get a smaller-sized dropcap in the same ebook. If there is a way to accomplish this, please do let me know.
topquark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #32
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by topquark View Post
I just checked my above conversions on my actual Kindle Keyboard and the dropcaps are perfect with the medium line spacing setting. I guess there is no way to get a smaller-sized dropcap in the same ebook. If there is a way to accomplish this, please do let me know.
I think you should be able to use calibre's standard Tweak Book feature to do any fine tuning on your smaller dropcap. This will explode the azw3 so you can manually edit the css file, then rebuild it again. As long as you don't convert it again the manual tweaks will stay put.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #33
topquark
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think you should be able to use calibre's standard Tweak Book feature to do any fine tuning on your smaller dropcap. This will explode the azw3 so you can manually edit the css file, then rebuild it again. As long as you don't convert it again the manual tweaks will stay put.
All right. I'll try that!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #34
topquark
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Just FYI, this worked PERFECTLY! THANK YOU!!!

For the others, just make sure that when you explode the azw3 file in calibre and tweak it, that you use em values for the font-size of the second dropcap.

Here are some dropcap formulas for various sizes of fonts. These should work all right as long as you indicate in the eighth value of the font size key the same value as the font-size, in px.

span.dropcaps {
float: left;
font-size: 80px;
line-height: 0; -->> okay lang lagyan ng value, like 70px
padding-top: 1px;
margin-top:-.375em;
margin-bottom: -.5em;
margin-right:1.35px;
font-weight: bold;
}

.drop {
font-size:3em;
margin-top: -.3em;
margin-bottom: -.5em;
margin-right: .05em;
}

span.dropcaps ((((dropcap a bit high but all right)))
{
font-size: 100px;
line-height: 80px;
margin-top: -0.5em;
margin-bottom: -.5em
}

span.dropcaps (((dropcaps just right)))
{
font-size: 100px;
line-height: 80px;
margin-top: -0.475em;
margin-bottom: -.525em
}

span.dropcaps {
font-size: 70px;
line-height: 70px;
margin-top: -.415em;
margin-bottom: -.475em
}

for one-line dropcaps, this one worked for me:
.dropcaps1 {
font-size: 2.5em;
margin-bottom: -0.50em;
margin-top: -0.725em
}

to everyone who helped.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #35
topquark
Connoisseur

I guess I'm a total dunce because of that last one about the one-line dropcap. I should just have gone with a raised initial and used a span class code.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #36
topquark
Connoisseur

Which brings me to another issue not exactly azw3-related. Why do lines with raised initials have large line spacing? Is there a workaround to that?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Which brings me to another issue not exactly azw3-related. Why do lines with raised initials have large line spacing? Is there a workaround to that?
Because the line height required by the bigger font prevails for the rest of the block:
You may need to edit the CSS style for the normal part and add: line-height: 1.2; to force it back down
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Because the line height required by the bigger font prevails for the rest of the block:
You may need to edit the CSS style for the normal part and add: line-height: 1.2; to force it back down
Not in KF8 (eInk Kindles). It doesn't respect line-height of that small. You have to make it a drop cap or a regular letter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #39
randomzombie
Enthusiast
randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.

Device: current: Aura HD
Quote:
@hermil, I think it is inherent to the AZW3 format. I think it's a take-it-or-leave-it kind of deal with AZW3. Me, I'll take it rather than going back to mobi, for purely aesthetic reasons.
I have this same problem. But I like the tightness of the minimal spacing of the MOBI file compared to the AZW3 that I usually just reconvert to MOBI. Alas!
randomzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #40
randomzombie
Enthusiast
randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.

Wanted to add. JSWolf, I really like your Compact SIL update! Perfect for night reading. Now, I kinda feel like an ungrateful jerk, but how hard would it be to slightly modify it removing a tiny bit of weight for a daytime version? The PW I settled on has good contrast, so it's almost a little too chunky-bold for daytime reading. Would I be able to do it myself? Are there any freeware font editing programs out there?

But yes, great font! My fave update so far...
Old 02-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomzombie View Post
Wanted to add. JSWolf, I really like your Compact SIL update! Perfect for night reading. Now, I kinda feel like an ungrateful jerk, but how hard would it be to slightly modify it removing a tiny bit of weight for a daytime version? The PW I settled on has good contrast, so it's almost a little too chunky-bold for daytime reading. Would I be able to do it myself? Are there any freeware font editing programs out there?

But yes, great font! My fave update so far...
Sure, I can remake the compact with a little less weight for you. That's not a problem. There doesn't seem to be a free solution that I've found to do it all.

PM me please and remind me. Then I'll PM you the link back when I have it done.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #42
randomzombie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sure, I can remake the compact with a little less weight for you. That's not a problem. There doesn't seem to be a free solution that I've found to do it all.

PM me please and remind me. Then I'll PM you the link back when I have it done.
Cool! That'd be great!!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomzombie View Post
Cool! That'd be great!!
Before I do it fully, I'll take the regular version and make it with just a little more weight so you can try it and if you like it, I can make it into a compact version.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-06-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #44
randomzombie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before I do it fully, I'll take the regular version and make it with just a little more weight so you can try it and if you like it, I can make it into a compact version.
Okay, sounds good, thanks!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #45
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
Second edit: THIS IS SOLVED NOW, PLEASE DISREGARD. It turns out that it was a simple table problem, not related to calibre. Many thanks to Jellby!

Hi, I think/ hope my problem is simpler but this thread has the appropriate title: I am using a resource for online books, ultimate aim being to read them on Kindle.
Each chapter of a book is a separate webpage; so I download them all and produce an epub out of them in Sigil.
There are linked footnotes at the end of each chapter ("formerly" webpage) and I could not find any way to have them properly linked with the main text using the .mobi format.

Thus: go for azw3 and the links work... Fine but the problem is that this time the margins become fixed -- thus e.g. the right half of the lines become invisible on Kindle/ or Kindle apps, no reflow at all... None of the different settings I used in calibre (remove fake margins/ ignore margins etc...) enabled me to solve this issue. I suspect that this issue is pretty simple for someone more skillful in using calibre or even Sigil, yet I spent many many hours to solve it to no avail. (The problem applies to every epub created with the html files, not just to one particular book); I would be grateful for any help indeed!
[conversion log example attached]

Edit on the next day: This might be fixed in the epub itself it seems; so I dared to open a new thread and pasted the css content there
Attached Files
File Type: txt conversion log.txt (8.9 KB, 596 views)

Last edited by mrevent; 04-11-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Css linked
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote