Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
What if someone wants to control the lighting so it is only switched on when it is needed?

I wanted the backlight so I could read during the night.

What's the big problem with having the option to switch it off when you don't need it and want less eye-strain?

I don't leave my lamp on for 24 a day though its selling point is to bring light.
Your lamp can be turned on by fumbling around in the dark to find the switch... how do you propose doing that on the Paperwhite? That's the big problem with having an option to turn it off completely.

As others have said, it's ABSOLUTELY INVISIBLE with even the slightest amount of ambient light.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What if someone wants to control the lighting so it is only switched on when it is needed?

I wanted the backlight so I could read during the night.

What's the big problem with having the option to switch it off when you don't need it and want less eye-strain?
Can you provide some evidence that a PW's light on its minimum setting causes any level of eye strain whatsoever?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #18
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
The PW at minimum lighting setting (in a dark room) is probably TOO dark to read comfortably unless you've habituated to the dark over a long period of time.

Can't see how it would be a problem. During daytime, it's almost invisible at the lowest level.

Unless there is a battery draining issue, seems like it's not a serious practical problem to have the light on perpetually.
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #19
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps they're concerned about the 17 - 68 year MTBF rating on the LED (assuming typical MTBF and 4 hours per day reading) or 3 - 11 years if it were to run 24 hours per day, using the typical range of MTBF ratings for an LED. :-)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #20
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Your lamp can be turned on by fumbling around in the dark to find the switch... how do you propose doing that on the Paperwhite? That's the big problem with having an option to turn it off completely.

As others have said, it's ABSOLUTELY INVISIBLE with even the slightest amount of ambient light.
It's not invisible. I have the previous Kindle Touch and the difference is very apparent to me. Particularly as I have become accustomed to that screen.

I don't know why there are so many defenders of not having an option to switch off the light.

You don't lose anything if the option is there.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It's not invisible. I have the previous Kindle Touch and the difference is very apparent to me. Particularly as I have become accustomed to that screen.
I repeat my previous question. What evidence do you have that (as you claimed) the light on its lowest level causes eye strain?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #22
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I repeat my previous question. What evidence do you have that (as you claimed) the light on its lowest level causes eye strain?
That's my personal experience. I find my eyes get tired faster.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #23
okh
okh has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
That's my personal experience. I find my eyes get tired faster.
I think your problem is not the light, but the capacitive touch layer.
okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #24
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you provide some evidence that a PW's light on its minimum setting causes any level of eye strain whatsoever?
You don't have to prove it. Every person has a different light sensitivity. It's a shame that it's not possible to turn it off completely. And there is no reason to have to justify their own preferences.

Amazon.de did lie to me (they did write me several times that it is possible to turn it off). Now there is an information on the website that it isn't possible.

Beside these points it costs you more money to have the lights on even if you don't need it.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #25
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:

The difference that you're seeing isn't the tiny amount of residual light, it's the two layers of material necessary to diffuse the light and detect your touch. The screen looks very different because it IS different. You can see that the text it below the surface, whereas before it looked like it was practically ON the surface. You can see the fine dots for the capacitive layer if you look closely. What you cannot see is the light, it's just physically impossible. I have extremely light sensitive eyes, so much that my eye doctors always tell me that I should be sure to always wear sunglasses outdoors and I can tell the difference between glass & polycarbonate lenses, yet I *CANNOT* detect any difference between levels 1,2,3, or 4 in a lit room, which means that I'm definitely not seeing the light at level 0.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #26
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Beside these points it costs you more money to have the lights on even if you don't need it.
Costs more? We're talking about 50 milliamps of current (a rough guess, but on the very high end), or ~ 1/4 watt @ 5v, which at 15 cents per kwh costs about $0.0000375 per hour... your charger wastes FAR more power than that if you leave it plugged in even a few minutes too long.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #27
route66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The difference that you're seeing isn't the tiny amount of residual light, it's the two layers of material necessary to diffuse the light and detect your touch. The screen looks very different because it IS different. You can see that the text it below the surface, whereas before it looked like it was practically ON the surface. You can see the fine dots for the capacitive layer if you look closely. What you cannot see is the light, it's just physically impossible. I have extremely light sensitive eyes, so much that my eye doctors always tell me that I should be sure to always wear sunglasses outdoors and I can tell the difference between glass & polycarbonate lenses, yet I *CANNOT* detect any difference between levels 1,2,3, or 4 in a lit room, which means that I'm definitely not seeing the light at level 0.

No it's not the layers. The screen looks exactly like the Kindle Touch only when it is on standby (showing the screensaver) - I'd like the option to keep it off.

If you cannot see the difference put it next to an earlier Kindle or switch it on in the dark.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #28
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Actually, I accidentally found that I can turn the light off! When I got the PW, I was curious where the Magnetic sensor was located. So I got out a magnet. By playing with the magnet I found that I could periodically turn off the light completely. I have not followed through to see if it can be done with precision but I did do it again yesterday!

The sensor seems to react in the lower right corner and in about inch to 1/2 inch

Last edited by FF2; 11-20-2012 at 06:32 PM.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #29
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Actually, I accidentally found that I can turn the light off! When I got the PW, I was curious where the Magnetic sensor was located. So I got out a magnet. By playing with the magnet I found that I could periodically turn off the light completely. I have not followed through to see if it can be done with precision but I did do it again yesterday!

The censor seems to react in the lower right corner and in about inch to 1/2 inch
I suspect there is a software switch or function to do it. There could be a way to open it and disable the lights completely.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #30
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post

The censor seems to react in the lower right corner and in about inch to 1/2 inch
Oh no! Kindles come with censors now? First they take our books, then they tell us what we can read!!!

The sensor wouldn't be a good way to turn off the light as it also puts the device to sleep. That said, I still don't understand the need.