Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
jamesread
Banned
jamesread began at the beginning.

Device: none
Royalties payments for each ebook-selling site

Perhaps some self-published authors here can answer some questions I have on this subject, for which I would be appreciative.

What are the options for how a self-published author in the US can get their royalty payments sent to them in each of the following:

-Amazon DTP (I know someone who did this a few years ago and they said you needed to give Amazon a US bank account info. They didn't offer to pay royalties via Paypal at that time. Has it changed now?)

-Kobo

-Sony ebookstore

-Barnes and Noble

-Borders

-Apple's iBookstore

???

Do you need to give them one's bank information, or will just a Paypal account do?
(I know Smashwords does the Paypal payments.)

Thanks in advance for any clarification and help.
jamesread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I don't think you can independently sell on any of them except Amazon. You have to be listed through a distributor like SW, I think.

From what I know - Amazon pays monthly, Smashwords quarterly. Good luck
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Jaxx is correct. Unless you are a publisher with a backlist, most online retailers would prefer you deal with Smashwords, who will get you listed on those sites. Anyone can deal directly with Amazon at this time.

Smashwords pays either paypal or check. Amazon will give you direct deposit or check (if you are outside of the US).
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
jamesread
Banned

Thank you, both Jaxx6166 and Valmore Daniels for your replies. If one writes under a pen name, does the check or paypal come in your real name or would cashing a check made out to a pen name be difficult?

This is a weird question, but I'm really such a newby at this digital publishing venture, I have no idea how this would work.

Thank you again!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Amazon will make the check out to whoever you tell them to; cashing it is something you should discuss with your bank. You may have to provide them with a document saying you are doing business as <pen name>, which I'm sure any lawyer or registry office can create for you.
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
indie
Enthusiast
indie began at the beginning.

Amazon will pay via check, or U.S. bank account. They don't work with paypal because that is technically a rival company, and I don't think there are any future plans. Eg. Paypal is owned by Ebay.
indie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
There shouldn't be a problem using a fictitious name, most of the payments are tracked through your SSN or whatever your country of origin gives its residents. This is for W-9/tax purposes. You pretty much are signing up as almost an independent contractor or your own company offering to do business with them.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
jamesread
Banned

Thank you for all your responses! I now have a clearer understanding of how this all works and I'll share this thread with some of my writer friends also.

I hope this thread could also help out anyone else looking to get into this ebook-publishing/selling endeavor.

Thank you so much for all of your replies once again!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:38 AM   #9
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Yes--you are paid under your real name, but published under a pen name.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Don't confuse 'royalties' with retail commissions, James. Much depends on your geographical position. Without an 'official' US presence, the big new online ebook stores won't touch you (unless you jump through hoops). Smashwords is an option, but if you're not US, prepare yourself for 30% retained tax-at-source on each sale, minus Smashwords' own 18% and individual retail commissions. Neil (whose wee publishing house just spent a small fortune in legal fees, etc on US registration so that we can deal direct with the US stores and upload our own, perfectly prepared, ebook versions) Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
B.K. Wright
Zealot
B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smile DIY (Do It Yourself) is BEST

You can definitely work directly with these retailers. Going through SW is not necessary. Contact Kobo - they will give you a separate account with them, with instructions on how to upload. Beau to Beau Books (B.K. Wright, i.e. me and my staff) works directly with Kobo. Apple will work directly with you - Beau to Beau Books works directly with Apple. We have our own account with Apple, have reformatted our own epubs to their specifications, and work directly with them. Amazon is easy to work directly with, as you know. Barnes and Noble - might want to wait to see what happens with the company - company is for sale.

Any questions on how to work directly with any of these - contact me at info@beautobeau.com.

Trapezium ebooks is a new site - work directly with you, also.
B.K. Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
B.K. Wright
Zealot
B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.B.K. Wright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smile One More DIY Thing

Kobo powers the Borders ebook store, so what is uploaded to Kobo is sent to Borders, and also to the Chapters Indigo ebook stores in Canada.

B.K. Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #13
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Don't confuse 'royalties' with retail commissions, James. Much depends on your geographical position. Without an 'official' US presence, the big new online ebook stores won't touch you (unless you jump through hoops). Smashwords is an option, but if you're not US, prepare yourself for 30% retained tax-at-source on each sale, minus Smashwords' own 18% and individual retail commissions. Neil (whose wee publishing house just spent a small fortune in legal fees, etc on US registration so that we can deal direct with the US stores and upload our own, perfectly prepared, ebook versions) Neil
Smashwords is no longer required to withhold taxes from non-US authors according to the August 25 site update:

https://www.smashwords.com/about/beta

One reason why I would choose them over dealing directly with Amazon once they start distributing there. The other reason I would choose them is if you are pricing your book under $2.99 - Smashwords will pay you 42% of the retail price on books sold at Amazon, rather than the 30% Amazon would give you for dealing with them directly.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:43 AM   #14
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Other than marketing and exposure - what is the primary reason people are using other stores to sell their book - considering that you can setup a WWW page + paypal to do it yourself?
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #15
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Other than marketing and exposure - what is the primary reason people are using other stores to sell their book - considering that you can setup a WWW page + paypal to do it yourself?
Marketing and exposure are king. I get only 10-15 visitors a week to my web site! When I'm ready for a new book, I don't go browsing authors' web sites to buy; I go to Amazon or to Smashwords. There, readers can see reviews written by others. On an author's web site, they don't know whether the 1-star reviews would ever be posted.

That's not to say we couldn't sell our books from our own web site using PayPal, but the hassle of sending out the file (or DTB), dealing with returns, etc. may be a little much. We have enough to do with writing and marketing. Some writers (like me) don't want to complicate our already busy day with sales on top of everything else.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote