Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
concern
concern began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Networked db/large library a no-go?

I have a library of over 10,000 books and I wished to keep it all on a networked drive. My experiences to date (lack of responsiveness and minutes to perform any function) give me an inkling this is not going to work.

Any advice from others with experience? Do I have to place my library on a local drive, or does Calibre have trouble with a large library?
concern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I run with a networked library. However to get decent perfomance I have the metadata.db file on a local disk with the rest of the Calibre library on the NAS. While not as snappy as holding everything locally this does make Calibre usable.

I have attached the batch file I use on Windows to maximise performance when running off a network share. It should be easy enough to adapt it to the syntax of other OS if not running Windows. It is copiously commented so it should be easy enough to understand what it is doing.
Attached Files
File Type: bat CalibreRun.bat (3.2 KB, 310 views)
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
Knipfty
Enthusiast
Knipfty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Kindle PC/Kindle BB
Nice batch file!
Knipfty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
concern
concern began at the beginning.