Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Urdu
Enthusiast
Urdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma
FW 2.6.1 Chess

Could someone tell me if the chess game bug is fixed in 2.6.1 - i.e. can you play check or checkmate without the screen going blank?
Urdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Hi Urdu,

Can not say for sure, but it seems to be more robust. Now, I have played just 2 times since the last update, no blank screen since that time.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Even two successful games is a good sign. That's especially true since I'm trying to pick up the game, after a decade's absence. I'd at least like to tell those opponents that I made an honest attempt to relearn the game. Playing against the Kobo seems like an honest attempt at relearning. Books (including ebooks) give explanations. Playing (including computer opponents) gives experience in recognizing common openings and midgames. An effective end game is an added bonus.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
BWinmill,

If you want to relearn the chess game, I suggest you to try Lucas Chess Portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/games/lucas-chess-portable).

I recommend it heartily (not working on Kobo sadly )!
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Briareos
Briareos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I played one game and the board went white after some moves.
I gave up on chess on the Glo. Though the rest of 2.6.1 seems fairly stable.
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Urdu
Enthusiast
Urdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briareos View Post
I played one game and the board went white after some moves.
I gave up on chess on the Glo. Though the rest of 2.6.1 seems fairly stable.
Ah, that's too bad. No chess playing programmers in the Kobo team I guess.
I'll check the other threads before I update my Glo but "fairly stable" sounds promising.

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to answer this question.
Urdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
White screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urdu View Post
Could someone tell me if the chess game bug is fixed in 2.6.1 - i.e. can you play check or checkmate without the screen going blank?
So I thought just maybe I would try the chess game... I get a square with numbers on the bottom and left sides but no game board ore pieces just get a big white square

So I guess another thing that Kobo broke in their effort at improvement.

:P

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
DragonflyKing
Enthusiast
DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Touch
In Kobo 2.5.2 Chess, not only does the screen go blank but the game declares "Stalemate" after only a few moves. Chess was stable in earlier Kobo releases. You haven't built in an older version of Chess by mistake have you?
DragonflyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
Simon Walker
Simon Walker is kind to children and small, furry animalsSimon Walker is kind to children and small, furry animalsSimon Walker is kind to children and small, furry animalsSimon Walker is kind to children and small, furry animalsSimon Walker is kind to children and small, furry animalsSimon Walker is kind to children and small, furry animalsSimon Walker is kind to children and small, furry animalsSimon Walker is kind to children and small, furry animalsSimon Walker is kind to children and small, furry animalsSimon Walker is kind to children and small, furry animalsSimon Walker is kind to children and small, furry animals

I've completely given up on chess on my Glo. It's seriously annoying to find the pieces disappear leaving you no option but to resign and quit, only for the smug little bloke appear and tell you he's not surprised, he's a grand master...
I've had the "Stalemate" problem too, and on a couple of occasions it's claimed "Checkmate" when it clearl'y isn't.
Simon Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well strange strange tales. When I first updated to 2.6.1 the chess board was blank. White screen of death lol... Lastnight I tried the game again and imagine my surprise when it worked.

regards

JAck
Old 06-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So has chess been fixed in 2.6.1 or not? I can't find any problems with it, but I don't play it much.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
So has chess been fixed in 2.6.1 or not? I can't find any problems with it, but I don't play it much.
Based on it not working one minute and then working at a later time I would say 100 percent its a fail in terms of a fix.

Working correctly would all the time every time

regards

Jack'
Old 06-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
This thread is about it being broken in 2.6.1. I guess we will have to wait for new FW to see if it gets fixed, though self-healing FW would be a very nice thing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't know about Chess, but Sudoku is definitely broken. It completely disagrees with me about where the numbers should go...
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #15
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Well, I do hope that the bugs are fixed. I call these commuter games for a reason: they're wonderful to play on the bus on days when I can't concentrate on reading.

Granted, I do find chess as an alternative to reading when one can't concentrate on reading ironic. Chess, after all, is incredibly hard to master.