Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Tango Mike
Enthusiast
Tango Mike began at the beginning.

Device: none
Conversion Cover Trouble

I have a problem changing the cover on the epub version of my novel and would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix it.

The first time I converted the file I didn't add a cover and ended up with the Calibre book image. Later I changed it for both the epub and mobi versions and the changes appeared to be successful. But when viewed in Calibre, the mobi version is fine, but the epub cover still shows the Calibre one.

I've tried changing it multiple times by: select the book, edit metadata individually, select epub, cover; the Calibre cover appears in the cover window; click remove, browse, select the new cover, it appears in the window, click OK, then view the epub version and it still has the old cover.

I'm using an OS 10.5.8 Mac that won't run Nook for Mac, but Adobe Digital Editions works fine. I have two versions of the epub file in the ADE library (for comparison purposes), both of which show the new cover in the thumbnail. When I open the older of the two, it has the newer image, which means that I have been previously successful in getting the new epub cover. But the newer version has reverted to the older Calibre cover for some reason. My wife has a newer Mac, and her Nook for Mac displays the older epub version with the newer cover image, again proving that I got it done at some point.

In PubIt, the My Titles page has the new image showing in the thumbnail. But when I select action/edit, preview, the Nook emulator shows the old cover. I close preview, go to step #3 where the new image is (erroneously) displayed, click upload, browse, select, upload the newer cover image again. But when I return to preview, the Calibre image still appears in the emulator.

Bottom line is that I have repeated the correct steps as I understand them to change the epub version cover image in both Calibre and PubIt and have not been able to do so. As a newbie to this conversion process, I am stumped.

Anyone ever heard of a problem like this? Thanks.
Tango Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You do have to reconvert the file (epub to epub or mobi to epub)for the cover to actually be embedded in the epub.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Tango Mike
Enthusiast
Tango Mike began at the beginning.

Device: none
Helen: At the risk of being thrown off the forum for inappropriate behavior, I think I love you. [insert very smiley face here]

I have been struggling with this problem for most of about two days now, frustrated beyond belief. Next I'm going to learn that the user's guide makes the requirement for that step clear, or that it's something everyone should know. Whatever the case, I can mark that problem as history and get on with my ebooking conversion life.

Thank you so much.

Tosh
Tango Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Welcome
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote