Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 04-08-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Lightbulb Book Creation Tutorials

I've created this thread for people to post tutorials on how to create eBooks for the Sony Reader.

To start things off, attached is a detailed illustrated tutorial (as a Microsoft Word document) showing how I create Reader e-Books from "Project Gutenberg" files, using "Book Designer". I hope that people find this useful. This is the exact process that I use to create all the books I've posted in this forum.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or suggestions for improvements.

EDIT: 24th Jun 07

Uploaded v1.1 of the tutorial, which is rather more generic, and stresses that the techniques described can be used to produce a book in any format supported by Book Designer, not just Sony Reader books.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip HarryTs_Book_Designer_Tutorial.zip (1.75 MB, 3559 views)
File Type: zip HarryTs_Book_Designer_Tutorial_v1.1.zip (1.75 MB, 4194 views)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Creating Mobipocket Books

Having now bought an Iliad, I've started seriously exploring creating MobiPocket format eBooks. Using BD I've encountered a couple of problems:

1. No table of contents - I believe that's a shortcoming of BD. That means, though, that if you do create an MP book using BD, it's vital to create a manual TOC (or use the "Insert TOC" menu command) because otherwise the user will have no way of navigating the book.

2. Illustrations in the books come out VERY small and checking or clearing the "Keep Pictures Sizes" box on the "Make Book" dialog appears to make no difference at all. What should be a full-page illustration comes out as perhaps a 2" square picture.

Does anyone know of a way of getting full-sized pictures in a MobiPocket book using BD?
Advert
Old 08-07-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just played with MobiPocket book creation and I've noticed that the graphics don't work very well. if I have keep graphics sizes (or whatever it is) then I get a small cover and if I uncheck it, the cover is even smaller. I guess it's something you'll just have to put up with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I suspect that the graphics are being sized to the resolution of the Palm/Pocket PC screen that BD "thinks" the file is being created for, so I'm finishing up with a 320x240 (or whatever) graphic even through I'm viewing it on a 1024x768 screen .

Strangly, though, it doesn't seem to be a "universal" problem. The "full screen" illustrations I've converted have gone really, really small, but the much smaller graphics in the "Dancing Men" story in the Sherlock Holmes omnibus have come out OK.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:04 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it's time to ask vvv to add iLiad to the list of devices in the MobiPocket creation screen so BD can format properly for it. The ILiad support seems to be for PDF in BD.
Advert
Old 08-07-2007, 07:06 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've already sent him a PM .
Old 08-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The mobipocket image support includes the option to have three sizes (losrc, src and hisrc), see Image support and display. I'm not sure which the iLiad will display when there is a choice. Most books I have tried don't seem to include multiple sizes, and tend to have rather small images. If large images are included, adding a small alternative image would not increase the file size much and would aid readability on low res devices.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
So, how do you create mobipocket books in BD?

Do you choose Make eBooks -> Palm/PocketPC option?

Have you solved problem with inserting pictures?

What type of device do you choose in the option device?

Last edited by astra; 11-02-2007 at 11:17 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Use the "Palm" option. Set the format to "MobiPocket" and the device to anything except "Palm B&W". All the other three device options are the same, and give you colour pictures in the resulting file, which is nice if you're using the desktop reader.

One thing to note with Mobi books is that you need to insert MANUAL pagebreaks at the start of chapters - you don't get them automatically as you do with the Sony Reader option.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there a Mobipocket emulator what I can install on my PC to have any idea of how my mobipocket book is going to behave/looks like on the iLiad?

Just out of curiosity, if I had cybook gen3 would I have to re-edit mobipocket books created for the iLiad and vice versa?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:07 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
FBReader should work: http://www.fbreader.org/
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:12 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You could download the Mobipocket reader from Mobipocket. The iLiad books are just text based. There is no reason they won't work with the Gen3 or Mobipocket Desktop.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:43 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
FBReader should work: http://www.fbreader.org/
Thanks.

JSWolf
this one - Mobipocket Reader Desktop 6.0?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Use the "Palm" option. Set the format to "MobiPocket" and the device to anything except "Palm B&W". All the other three device options are the same, and give you colour pictures in the resulting file, which is nice if you're using the desktop reader.

One thing to note with Mobi books is that you need to insert MANUAL pagebreaks at the start of chapters - you don't get them automatically as you do with the Sony Reader option.
I have done it as you explained and it works fine - manual page breaks and TOC. There is only one thing I miss. When I am at the beginning of a book (where my TOC is located) I can choose any chapter I want and it takes me over there. What if I want to jump to another chapter? How do I get to this page where I have TOC, so I can choose where to go?
In Sony reader it is not a function of LRF, it is reader's function, I just hit MENU wheel once it gets me back to TOC.
What do you do in iLiad? Is it possible?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:24 AM   #15
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
Has anyone found a decent way to create Mobi books in OS X?
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote