Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #31
Anais9000
Connoisseur
Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My standard practice, when I'm reading, is to "bookmark" any page on which I notice a typo. Then when I've finished the book, I go back to the source and correct the errors.
Certainly commendable, but not to be confused with proofreading. For instance, there are about a hundred errors, give or take, in your Kidnapped, most of which can't be seen at a glance, but do change the texture of the book. They're not obvious because they're plausible substitutions, transpositions, omissions, etc. which won't be detected unless you're comparing against a proof copy. The first error is a great example: our first estimate of David Balfour is as "'a canny goer; and I doubt not he will come safe, and be well lived where he goes.'"

This comes across as a bit of a jibe at poor David, who we might assume deals sharply and aspires to be of the petite-bourgoisie. Unfair, since what Stevenson actually wrote leads us to expect that David has other qualities that will make him one of the most heartily "well liked" characters in fiction.
Anais9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Oh no, I fully accept that what I'm doing certainly doesn't count as proofreading - just fixing the glaringly obvious faults which I happen to notice. I'm a lousy proof-reader anyway, because I'm a "speed reader" (not by choice); ie when I read I take in an "image" of the whole page, rather than read it line by line, and just completely overlook errors such as the one that you've just pointed out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anais9000 View Post
Certainly commendable, but not to be confused with proofreading. For instance, there are about a hundred errors, give or take, in your Kidnapped, most of which can't be seen at a glance, but do change the texture of the book. They're not obvious because they're plausible substitutions, transpositions, omissions, etc. which won't be detected unless you're comparing against a proof copy. The first error is a great example: our first estimate of David Balfour is as "'a canny goer; and I doubt not he will come safe, and be well lived where he goes.'"

This comes across as a bit of a jibe at poor David, who we might assume deals sharply and aspires to be of the petite-bourgoisie. Unfair, since what Stevenson actually wrote leads us to expect that David has other qualities that will make him one of the most heartily "well liked" characters in fiction.
Quote:
He is a steady lad,' your father said, 'and a canny goer; and I doubt not he will come safe, and be well lived where he goes.'"
That is the full sentence as it appears in the copy Harry T uploaded here and it is correct. Have a look here and here for two different scans from two different editions and you'll see that it is the same. So where you came up with that as an error, I have no idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #34
Anais9000
Connoisseur
Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Mathematically, where <> represents inequality
k <> v
liked <> lived
well liked <> well lived
and be well liked <> and be well lived

The remainder of the proof is left as an exercise for the reader...
Old 06-21-2007, 08:29 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Mathematically, where <> represents inequality
k <> v
liked <> lived
well liked <> well lived
and be well liked <> and be well lived

The remainder of the proof is left as an exercise for the reader...
And what does that have to do with your being incorrect?
Advert
Old 06-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #36
Anais9000
Connoisseur

Harry's version says "and be well lived where he goes."
Both of the two scans you provide links to, say: "and be well liked where he goes."

They can't all be correct.

They aren't all correct.

The scans are correct.

Harry's version is wrong. (As Harry cheerfully admits.)

The fact that Harry's version is wrong is the point I originally made, and which you dispute.

If this isn't sufficiently clear, I'll be happy to go over it again. (Well, not really happy.)
Old 06-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Harry's version says "and be well lived where he goes."
Both of the two scans you provide links to, say: "and be well liked where he goes."

They can't all be correct.

They aren't all correct.

The scans are correct.

Harry's version is wrong. (As Harry cheerfully admits.)

The fact that Harry's version is wrong is the point I originally made, and which you dispute.

If this isn't sufficiently clear, I'll be happy to go over it again. (Well, not really happy.)
Yes, you are quite right. I do apologize. I missed it completely. I just looked at the front bit and not the back bit. I tried to find the source used for the OCR/Proofreading and it's no longer online. Oh well.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #38
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is one solution. Fix all the things that look incorrect to what looks correct. Some can be fixed by a simple search/replace.
The problem with this is, where to stop. Do you go back and "fix" Shakespeare?
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #39
joefox97
joefox97 began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
The problem with this is, where to stop. Do you go back and "fix" Shakespeare?
Absolutely not -- and JSWolf is off-base for recommending that we "fix" the stylings of prior authors. When he writes something worthy of reading generations and millenia later, he can decide if he wants someone from a completely different time and age to re-write that great work.

Until then, lay off the idiocy and bashing on the things that make great works great -- their idiosyncracies are as much a part of them as their storyline.

Joe
joefox97 is offline   Reply With Quote