Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
bgcamroux
bgcamroux began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Desire Z
Exclamation [Old Thread] Problem installing on Ubuntu Linux

Hello,

I'm running Crunchbang Linux on my Asus EeePC, and am attempting to get Calibre installed and running. When I use the command line python script,
Code:
sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"
I get the following:

Code:
Enter the installation directory for calibre [/opt]: 
Will download and install calibre-0.7.33-i686.tar.bz2
                    Downloading calibre-0.7.33-i686.tar.bz2                     
100% [======================================================================]
                                                                                Downloaded 42569064 bytes
Checking downloaded file integrity...
Extracting files to /opt/calibre ...
Extracting application files...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site.py", line 48, in main
  File "site.py", line 37, in set_qt_plugin_path
ImportError: cannot import name QCoreApplication

Run "calibre" to start calibre
brad@bgc-eee:/opt$
Any idea what I can do to fix this? I cannot find where site.py is located in the install tree

I really want to get going with using Calibre - it'd be great for managing school documents as well as ebooks.

Thank you,

Brad Camroux
bgcamroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
this will be caused by some missing/conflicting system library. Do this this to get debug output about which library:

LD_DEBUG=libs calibre-debug -c "print 1" 2>&1 | less

SCroll through the resulting output till you find the errors
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
wahid
wahid began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Question Same issue on Debian Lenny !

Hi Kovid and Brad,

I've been googling for the same error message "ImportError: cannot import name QCoreApplication" and for the same reasons, as I came across your thread.

I have a Debian Lenny 5.0.8 Server and would like to deploy my Calibre-Library onto it. After I read about the "calibre-server" feature, I was more excited.

So first I should first to ensure that my system fulfills the prequisites. Specially the GLIBC. I checked through Aptitude and found a preinstalled one "libc6 Version: 2.7-18lenny7". So I was in doubt, since the version no. is totally different from the requested noted. Anyway I execute
Code:
python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()
and get exactly the same errors mentioned by Brad.

@Kovid
At this step, it's still not possible to run any calibre-command.

@Brad
did you find meanwhile a solution to this?

Greetings
Wahid
wahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Sardog
Sardog began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2
This is still an issue for me

Any update on this thread... I am trying to get calibre working on Debian Lenny and I am not having any luck getting past this error. I find it strange that I can have calibre working just fine instantly on Windows XP and on a portable stick but can't get it to work on Lenny. I am not an a "compile from source" kinda guy but I can download and move around files. I would be willing to bet that my problem is with the glibc that keeps getting thrown around in the forums but I don't see a step by step guide to installing calibre on lenny and getting it running properly. If anyone has any help on this please let me know.
Sardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:02 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Calibre won't install on stock lenny. The glibc libraries are too old. You need squeeze.

I made it work quite some time ago by creating a chroot'ed partition, installing sid (squeeze didn't yet exist) libraries into that partition, then installing calibre. This was a royal bother and in the end I gave it up, but if you want to go down that road, then see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...92#post1185292.

You could also go the backport route to get the newer glibc. The problem is that glibc is used by *everything*. I started down this route and came close to bricking my server, so I don't recommend it. Better would be to upgrade to squeeze.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Sardog
Sardog began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2
Ok, so if I upgrade to squeeze then I take it all the problems go away and i can just use the linux binary install from calibre.... no other changes need to be made? Thanks for you help. I will look and if upgrading won't wreck any other functions that I like to have (like remote desktop) then I will give it a try.
Sardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
kindleren
kindleren began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
I've been googling for the same error message "ImportError: cannot import name QCoreApplication". My system is centos5.6 Linux. I want to know who has solved the problem. Any one can tell me how to solved it?
Think you!
@Sardog
@chaley
@wahid
@kovidgoyal
kindleren is offline   Reply With Quote