Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #16
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
See here for a discussion on em dashes.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14781
Thanks, Jon. I know what an emdash is - that's not the point. It would have been nice if someone had offered to clean up Madam Broshkina's files to correct problems if they existed. I would hope people would feel free to do that with any imperfect conversion (all of mine, for example!). You are well aware of the work involved in doing conversions and to do 539 of them is a tremendous amount of thankless toil. To such a person I would hope people would want to thank and offer help, not ask that person to please do more.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #17
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Some people are so ungrateful
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
It would have been nice if someone had offered to clean up Madam Broshkina's files to correct problems if they existed.
Unfortunately, that's more easily said than done. Without the cleaned up source files from which the versions are generated, correcting the books would require re-doing them entirely from the original sources. The formats that are posted here are still mostly terminal formats, in the sense that they can't be converted to something else.

In this case, I think that Madam Broshkina mentioned that she's since lost her cleaned up files due to a system failure, so they're not even available to her. I don't blame her for not wanting to re-do the lot from scratch simply to fix emdashes. I'm particular about emdashes myself, and I wouldn't do such a re-work under those circumstances.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #19
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Unfortunately, that's more easily said than done. Without the cleaned up source files from which the versions are generated, correcting the books would require re-doing them entirely from the original sources. The formats that are posted here are still mostly terminal formats, in the sense that they can't be converted to something else.

In this case, I think that Madam Broshkina mentioned that she's since lost her cleaned up files due to a system failure, so they're not even available to her. I don't blame her for not wanting to re-do the lot from scratch simply to fix emdashes. I'm particular about emdashes myself, and I wouldn't do such a re-work under those circumstances.
To write a program that takes a MobiPocket file and replace " - " with emdash seems to be rather easy.

But I have since I discovered this forum found it strange that books are uploaded only in a "terminal" format. I would have thought that the source was as important for later converting books to other format or to fix problems. And here we have an example of a disk crash tht affects a lot of books to connect this back to an argument if you should upload books in the secret MobiPocket compression scheme.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
To write a program that takes a MobiPocket file and replace " - " with emdash seems to be rather easy.

But I have since I discovered this forum found it strange that books are uploaded only in a "terminal" format. I would have thought that the source was as important for later converting books to other format or to fix problems. And here we have an example of a disk crash tht affects a lot of books to connect this back to an argument if you should upload books in the secret MobiPocket compression scheme.
We now have a perl program (script) that can reverse a MobiPocket file back into HTML with an OPF file so it is easy to get back. I guess it was a good thing that Madam Broshkina uploaded the files so she can get them back after the crash of her system. I have downloaded some of her books myself. I would like to thank her for her past effort.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #21
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
This point has actually been raised before.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4257#post84257
I don't know if Harry still holds that opinion or if others agree with him but for some reason very few books were ever posted in HTML or TXT.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #22
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
This point has actually been raised before.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4257#post84257
I don't know if Harry still holds that opinion or if others agree with him but for some reason very few books were ever posted in HTML or TXT.
So there is from some people a policy of making books posted here less useful. Strange.

This touch on what status the postings has here. I am really missing a statement from each poster about what status the book has. I want it explicitly said that it is has no use licence or that it is not in the public domain if that is the case since i think many people post here and assume that it is implied that people can do whatever they want with the book since it is based on public domain sources.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #23
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post

I was not aware of that. So if I load BD with a PRC file, I can't fix it (for emdashes or whatever) by referencing the PG file? I was actually planning to do a bit of that myself on a few books I wanted to make minor improvements to.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdmanley View Post
sounds like more e-book snobbery. sorry to hear about your decision, but thank you for all your contributions! they will be missed
How is it snobbery to want to help someone make the conversions as good as possible for the best possible reading experience?

Once I was given the info on Book Cleaner, I did pass it on to others and they've been making better eBooks since. That's how the thread with the BC files started so I'd have a place to post them so Patricia could get them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #25
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Sorry to hear you are quitting the uploads. I find someone complaining about em dashes pathetic. I mean If you were to read "The Great Gatsby" would you say it is a bad book because of incorrect use of em dashes.

People being anal retentive about free books is amazing. One should enjoy the book for what it is. not minor punctuation/format problems.
Thanks for contributing your books to MR- mochiron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I have received a comment about the books that I have created for this site (lack of Em Dashes). That person hesitantly asked me to recreate all the books that I have already made (over 500). Due to a computer crash I have lost many of these books and the fact that I could not get the tools suggested to fix the problem to work correctly I have decided to retire from the book creation business. Many thanks for those of you have passed on karma for the books that I have created.

Sincerely,

Madam Broshkina
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #26
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
quibbling over the length of dashes ... sounds like snobbery to me
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #27
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Did you guys actually read the post?
Quote:
I have received a comment about the books that I have created for this site (lack of Em Dashes). That person hesitantly asked me to recreate all the books that I have already made (over 500).
(emphasis mine)
From what I see it was just a suggestion, not a "complaint", "quibbling" or "bullying".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
We now have a perl program (script) that can reverse a MobiPocket file back into HTML with an OPF file so it is easy to get back. I guess it was a good thing that Madam Broshkina uploaded the files so she can get them back after the crash of her system. I have downloaded some of her books myself. I would like to thank her for her past effort.

Dale
Yes, we can convert the Mobipocket into HTML, but that means that someone has to manually go through every dash. It would (in some cases) be easier to reload the original source once Book Cleaner is setup to handle em dashes.

I do applicate her efforts. And I hope she does keep converting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #29
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
One other reason to want the widespread adoption of the epub format. If someone wants to correct dashes and such, just unzip the epub and edit the XHTML source. Couldn't be easier.

Thinking that the use of proprietary ebook formats like Mobi will keep someone else from doing something that you don't like with an ebook is just as useless as adding DRM. Honest people will respect the author's/publisher's rights and dishonest people will steal, regardless of format or DRM use.

Quote:

jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #30
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Madam... As much as I can, since I don't know you in real life. I want to say I love you in a purely literary sense (without a trace of stalking or weirdness... I am married and happy and love my wife and so on...)

I too format books for this site and understand your frustration at a word of criticism but its possible that, in the weakness of this medium, a forum instead of a real conversation with real relationships, (Wouldn't it be great if we could all get together and talk and see each others expressions and body language and smiles) you may have misunderstood waht was meant to be a respectful request for a criticism.

That said. I know sometimes I do my books in a hurry and have made mistakes with em dashes and so on. I have a family and a job and like to read and do a hundred other things and am not getting paid anyhow for my books I contribute here so if someone doesnt like my book uploads... They are totally welcome to make their own. (Which I've noticed quite a few people have done, re-doing a book I've already formatted.)

To this I take no offense at all. PD books mean anyone can edit or remove stuff or change stuff or whatever, (All things I don't do when I make a book for this site.)
I format books first and foremost for myself and if someone else likes em great! If not. I'll still do it.

Anyhow I guess my point is, I appreciate your uploads and have quite a few on my computer waiting their turn to be read. I don't give a rats you know what if there are emdashes or little green men hanging about in the text! I'm into the story and only the story.

With all respect.

Roy
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote