Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
And you have data that says I'm wrong about you not having any data... about being... not... wrong?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-13-2013 at 04:37 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #17
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I've been buying watermarked books for a year now or so. And once I pay I get the copy both in mobi and epub. I haven't touched ADE for a looong time.
I recently noticed that a paper book that I purchased had an offer to get the ebook. Inside the front flap was a page that you had to cut open with some codes in tabular format. On the website you entered two of the codes and registered the paper book with your account, which then gave you permissions to download an unprotected epub, mobi, or pdf. Not sure if the mobi or epub was watermarked, but the PDF had my name and e-mail address on the page footers. Apparently all of that publisher's books were like that. {Manning Publications}

Not a bad system... I wish more paper books did that... I might actually buy more paper books if that were the case.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And you have data that says I'm wrong?
You're the one making claims.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Burden of proof falls on the one making the claim.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, it was HarryT who made the original claim. He should be the one backing up his claim. Then you'll know about my claim based on the results of his proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Most people just aren't bothered about DRM. They buy a Kindle; they buy books from Amazon. What DRM? They never see it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #21
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Actually, it was HarryT who made the original claim. He should be the one backing up his claim. Then you'll know about my claim based on the results of his proof.
I read his comment as:

Quote:
<most people buy device X, tied to store Y, and never think twice about it>
... with Kindle as an example of device X.

Which is probably true of the vast majority of non tech-savvy readers, whether they use mobi or epub.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #22
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Sorry Jon, it doesn't work that way. You made the statement. You provide the proof.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Sorry Jon, it doesn't work that way. You made the statement. You provide the proof.
The original statement was by HarryT. He's the one who has to show proof.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I read his comment as:

... with Kindle as an example of device X.

Which is probably true of the vast majority of non tech-savvy readers, whether they use mobi or epub.
I'm sorry you have comprehension trouble.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #25
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Good grief, people! Do I have to turn this forum around and go back home?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #26
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
So true and why I stop reading some threads that become mired in a repeating loop. They just go on and on and on and on and..............................
Apache

Last edited by Apache; 06-13-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #27
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
As for DRM in ebooks, I think it's too early to tell.
I completely agree. However, since it won't hurt for me to be wrong, here are my guesses:

-- If there are no technical improvements to DRM, use of it, aside from library books, will gradually decline.

-- Publishers whose readers feel some sort of loyalty to them will continue to be more willing to drop DRM. And generalist publishers are not going to generate brand loyalty, DRM or otherwise. Specialized publishers will continue to be less likely to have DRM because they can realistically hope to gain reader loyalty.

-- If Mike Shatzkin is right that specialized publishers will grow and generalists decline, that means less DRM.

-- College textbook publishers, because their audience is somewhat captive while feeling less than zero loyalty to the publisher, will keep DRM the longest.

-- So longer as Amazon lacks a strong preference, book DRM won't totally die.

-- If we get to where virtually every electronic device is continuously connected to seamless wireless Internet, that could allow invention of more effective DRM, which publishers would then widely adopt. As to why someone would buy such semi-Orwellian devices, perhaps they would be free.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #28
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The original statement was by HarryT. He's the one who has to show proof.
Really? Really?? So you have no data and you're just blowing smoke. All right then.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #29
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Sorry. But just sometimes you need to poke that guy in the seat next to you.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #30
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I recently noticed that a paper book that I purchased had an offer to get the ebook. Inside the front flap was a page that you had to cut open with some codes in tabular format. On the website you entered two of the codes and registered the paper book with your account, which then gave you permissions to download an unprotected epub, mobi, or pdf. Not sure if the mobi or epub was watermarked, but the PDF had my name and e-mail address on the page footers. Apparently all of that publisher's books were like that. {Manning Publications}

Not a bad system... I wish more paper books did that... I might actually buy more paper books if that were the case.
I should have said watermarked ebooks, not books. I'd prefer not to have to buy paper in order to get electronic version. That would be 160 real books extra in my house. I have been buying ebooks with watermark but not "on condition that". I don't even see where the watermark is, it is not visible at all. Recently I have been choosing mobi file to put directly on K3. Still put ebooks in calibre but for organisation, not disinfection.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote