Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #16
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentBEATS View Post
I did a quick search and didn't find a topic so I How do you pick the names for characters in your writing?
I write fantasy. I try to consider the imaginary culture they're from, and give them names that match their language and background. I spend quite a while world building -- thinking about the history of my fantasy cultures, their way of life, and even their languages. I can then give my characters meaningful names that reflect their background.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #17
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRM View Post
Sometimes, because I'm not German, I take a word like "weaver" and translate it to German ("Weber") and call that the surname. I'm not saying it's a *good* idea, just one I've used.

-David
Haha, that is great!
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #18
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Typically names just come to me, and often they suggest or are accompanied by a character profile to go with them. I've come up with some names like this and quickly forgotten them because I didn't write them down.
I try to fit these names/characters into whatever I'm writing, where possible.
My point here is that you can be successful by methodically generating names, but I think you can also "channel" them if you are willing to take the time to let them come to you over time.
bthrowsnaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #19
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The names of characters just sort of come to me as I determine who they are. You know, how when you meet someone who's name is Betty, but you can never remember it, because she looks like a Sally.
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #20
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I had to laugh when I read this. I obsessed over my main character's name, as well as the names of the other principals in the novel. Tried to find unique names. Can't be done, not if you use semi-normal names. Then after I came up with a name I liked I would audience test it and find myself back at the drawing board. the whole thing made me crazy.

After I got the main names set, though, I just made up names as I came to characters in the story. I did maintain a separate document where I listed all the names, along with critical dates in their back story. Had a hell of a time with birth dates. Oy!
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #21
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
I try to always use real names and not invent them. And still I have people saying, "I had trouble with all the fantasy names" and I have to say, "No, that's actually Amazigh, or Vietnamese, or Iranian."

I like to use baby naming sites, pick the appropriate nationality for the character, and then just start scrolling until something catches my eye. I have one criterion - Whatever it is, I have to be able to pronounce it.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #22
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
I'm a reader, not a writer.
But I recently read a book where all the last names were from towns from eastern North Carolina. At first I thought it was cute, but by the end of the story I was way tired of it. I guess if I didn't know what they where I would have been alright with them....
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think sometimes the name comes before the character. Of course there are books like "The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook" or a multitude of Baby Names books out there to choose from as well. You can also consult the phone book. Take a 1st name from one person and a last from another. I understand that idea is especially good for when you set a story in a known area. I mean some names are common in a given area of the world.

Last edited by crich70; 02-18-2011 at 11:52 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #24
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Sometimes, because I'm not German, I take a word like "weaver" and translate it to German ("Weber") and call that the surname. I'm not saying it's a *good* idea, just one I've used.
Well, makes perfect sense for German characters. German last names include ones based on jobs just like English (though the equivalent of "Fletcher" which doesn't seem uncommon in English, is nothing I encountered so far).
I know there was at least one kid in my class at school with the last name of Weber.

Quote:
In the US, there are even "most popular baby name" lists by year, going back to the 1930's. So I sometimes use the age of a character to pick a year to comb through. 20 year old girl? Popular girl names of 1990. 45 year old man? Popular boy names of 1965.
There's something like that for German first names, with the by-decade lists going back to the 1890: http://www.beliebte-vornamen.de/
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #25
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Anke, have you looked for both alternatives?
fletcher would be a basket- or an arrow maker

nicht nur "flechten", sondern auch (pfeile) befiedern
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #26
JJWestendarp
JJWestendarp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I go here for first names: http://www.babynames.com/

Then I go here for last names: http://names.mongabay.com/most_common_surnames.htm

Rinse and repeat as necessary. I usually try and grab a name from the middle of each list in order to get away from the common names.
JJWestendarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #27
TJager
Enthusiast
TJager ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TJager ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TJager ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TJager ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TJager ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TJager ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TJager ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TJager ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TJager ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TJager ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TJager ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have to have names that I like in my books. I usually look through baby name sites or books for first names and phone books for last names.
TJager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:49 AM   #28
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonroyle View Post
In some cases I choose based upon people who have screwed me over at some time in my life...

These characters always meet a grisly end
Ha! I've done that too! Notably several characters that are fantasy stand-ins for Nazis-- one of whom gets eaten by a tyrranosaurus.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #29
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Anke, have you looked for both alternatives?
fletcher would be a basket- or an arrow maker

nicht nur "flechten", sondern auch (pfeile) befiedern
Do you have a reliable source for the idea that "fletcher" has anything to do with baskets?
Everywhere I look, "fletcher" means "someone who makes arrows (and/or possibly bows)". It refers to the feather vanes, called fletchings...
Nothing to do with "flechten" that I can find. Korbflechten is "basket weaving".

But while looking up the definition I came across the "arrowsmith" as a synonym/definition, and "Pfeilschmidt" does exist as a German last name, so, yeah, my gut feeling was wrong.

Hobby language nerd, don't mind me.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #30
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I have such trouble with names, my characters usually either go through a name change or have a placeholder nickname until I can come up with one that fits. I mostly write fantasy. Usually I'll try to make up some basic phonetic rules for whatever culture the character's from and throw some sounds together based on that until I come up with something. For non-fantasy I love love love behindthename.com - so useful!

Foreign words (with appropriate meanings) can be cool, as well as providing kind of a 'bonus' for people who actually speak the language. One thing I'd advise people to be wary of, though, is taking random words from foreign languages and making them names - it sounds great until someone actually speaks that language and your characters are named things like "Table", "Rug" and "Lamp"! I read a story like that once, and just couldn't take it seriously at all.
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote