Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
mrmember
mrmember began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Curve 8330
What are some good "free" books?

I'd like some recommendations for some outstandingly good 'free' books.

Also, where can I get the cheapest 'Catcher in the Rye', if somebody knows?
mrmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Tell us what you like to read.

In the meanwhile ...
Look at the top of this page. You will notice "E-Books" link. Over ten thousand books. Each of those must have been special for person that uploaded the book, because the vast majority of those books are lovingly formated, proofread and prepared by our members.

Above the E-book link there is wiki link.
In the main wiki page there is link called "Free e-books"

Do not forget to visit our forum index
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/
Please notice two popular subforums called
Reading Recommendations
and
Deals, Freebies, and Resources

If you like SciFi do not forget to visit Baen Free Library and look up their Fifth Imperium CDs with free books. Beware! Highly contagious stuff. You read one book and you will buy rest of the series ;-)

If you live in USA you can most probably borrow e-books from a public library. See our wiki.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Try :-

DEAD(ish) by Naomi Kramer (Available on Smashwords)

Naomi is a very regular contributor on the MR Forums
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is public domain and quite good.

I believe Dracula is public domain and available on lots of sites including Project Guttenburg.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed "Three men and a Dog"
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Up top, click "forums". Then go to "deals and freebies". Kokand (Karen) is a dedicated bargain hunter and posts deals daily.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmember View Post
Also, where can I get the cheapest 'Catcher in the Rye', if somebody knows?
It's not for sale as an ebook.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm a little confused by why you have "free" in quotes. You want them to be not-free in some way? *baffled look*

Anyway, I've pasted in my standard list of favorite free ebook sites below. But if you're looking for recommendations for specific books, not specific sources, that's going to be a bit trickier without knowing what you like.

I'm into mysteries, so of course the Sherlock Holmes stories are a natural. I just started reading John T. McIntyre's Ashton-Kirk stories, which are just as atmospheric for a different atmosphere, and fascinating. One of my projects for this summer is assembling and reading all the hard-boiled detective stories I can find.

If you like SF (please, kacir, not scifi!) and fantasy, then follow kacir's suggestions and run straight to the Baen Free Library. Project Gutenberg and the sites that scrape it have been reprinting a lot of stories from classic SF magazines which have fallen out of copyright, too, and a lot of golden-age works.

If you like the old pulp adventures, the works of Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs are available -- I believe one of our fellow MobileReaders has packed up some nice omnibus editions of them up in the book section. For those people who think of REH as the author of Conan and that's all, you have a treat in store when you read the rest of his work.

Do you want something a bit more literate than mighty thews and clashing steel? Try the Harvard Classics. They have their own bookshelf over at Project Gutenberg.

And finally, here's my list of my favorite free (all gratis, most libre) ebook sources:

Right here on MobileRead is a good start -- the ebooks are built by hand by MobileRead members, and in my opinion they have the best formatting. There are a lot of other good ebook sites out there. Here's my personal free ebook source list:

Public Domain

MobileRead - best formatting, limited selection (hand-built by MobileRead members)

ManyBooks - PG scraper, but sometimes has books from other sources, good formatting

Feedbooks - mostly scrapes PG, improves formatting

Project Gutenberg - the granddaddy of them all, phenomenal selection

Munseys - painful to use, but has books nobody else does

the Internet Archive - generally only the scans are readable

Google Books - most of the time, what's good isn't free, and what's free isn't good

Free non-PD

Baen Free Library - amazing selection; also, they will tempt you into buying books

5th Imperium - Baen CD collections

Other Things

Search: Inkmesh. Sadly, it's not a very comprehensive search engine, at least when it comes to free ebooks - it misses a lot of them - but as far as I know, it's the only ebook-specific one out there.

If you're using free ebooks, it's only right to give something back: proofread a page a day at the Distributed Proofreading Project.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
mrmember

Thanks for all the great and comprehensive answers! You've given me a good starting place!

Worldwalker, by writing 'free' the way I did, I was just emphasizing to better make sure those responding would know I mean...free...and certainly not non-free

So...I can't get a free copy of 'Catcher in the Rye'?
Old 06-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If you have a printed copy, you could scan it for your own personal use. That would be legal in many countries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Thanks for all the great and comprehensive answers! You've given me a good starting place!

Worldwalker, by writing 'free' the way I did, I was just emphasizing to better make sure those responding would know I mean...free...and certainly not non-free
Um ... putting quotes around something makes it mean the opposite of its literal meaning. The classic example is "I saw you and your 'wife' last night." When you read that, do you think I believe you're married to that person? Or that exactly one of you is biologically female?

Quote:
Not legally.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
mrmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Um ... putting quotes around something makes it mean the opposite of its literal meaning. The classic example is "I saw you and your 'wife' last night." When you read that, do you think I believe you're married to that person? Or that exactly one of you is biologically female?
Worldwalker, yepsie doozers, you've got a good point there!

Edit: Forgot to say I got 'Catcher in the Rye' at a used bookstore on Tuesday for $3. That made me happy. Just a tip for anyone interested in reading it...read the first two and last two pages very carefully.

Last edited by mrmember; 06-11-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Edit: Forgot to say I got 'Catcher in the Rye' at a used bookstore on Tuesday for $3. That made me happy. Just a tip for anyone interested in reading it...read the first two and last two pages very carefully.

a happy customer .... Welcome to MR, by the way ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote