Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Corruption

When I turned my PRS-600 on this morning, it had a warning of something similar to "internal formatting issue", and gave me a single OK button to click. So I clicked it. And it reformatted my device.

This, of course, wiped all the books I had on there. Good thing I had a copy on the computer. But, when I try to copy them back over, I get an "input/output error". I should add I'm running Ubuntu, so I just use drag & drop to the USB folder.

Sony support was useless, as they couldn't come up with anything that didn't rely on their eBook Library and Windows. I tried to download the firmware (it came in an .exe, why the f can't they just zip this stuff instead of doing self-extracting exe's?), changed the extension to zip, and extracted it. Even though it implants an Linux kernel on the reader, it seems to rely on Windows to update itself.

So, I turn to you, oh wise and knowledgeable forum. Does anyone have a method to reflash a PRS-600 via Linux? Alternatively, what are the exact names of the folders in the media folder? Maybe I can just recreate those and get back to reading...
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
erio
erio began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
No, i don't... i don't even have it on my hands yet, so you can imagine how few i can help to you, and even less if it comes to Linux... but just wondering... couldn't you find a friend with windows and do it in their computer? =)

Good luck with it anyway
erio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
I just moved, and therefor don't have any friends within walking distance. But, I drove an hour to go talk to the Sony Store and they replaced the device for me after they couldn't get it to reflash either. Guess I just got a lemon.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
I just moved, and therefor don't have any friends within walking distance. But, I drove an hour to go talk to the Sony Store and they replaced the device for me after they couldn't get it to reflash either. Guess I just got a lemon.
Glad you were able to get it sorted even if it needed replacing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote