Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
HTML converted books causing crashes - Calibre or PRS-505 issue?

The majority of books I read are online stories that I build using the multiple HTML page process and it's been working great until a few days ago.

Here is a list of what is happening. Again, this is only with self-made books using HTML pages - not purchased books.

~ Reading along and turn a page I suddenly get a blank screen. After 30 seconds or so, the reader reboots itself. If I hit continue reading, same thing happens. If I am quick enough and hit my page forward button, I can jump past this "bad spot" but it takes several attempts. This has happened with a number of books, not just one.

~ If I try to jump to a page, I get the "thinking" arrows, formatting text at bottom of screen. This usually goes on for several (3+) minutes before it finishes. Books range from 200 - 300 pages. I've had books twice this size and never had this issue before. Eventually, when I turn a page, the reader reboots itself again.

~ Pages now turn much slower than before. Regular (store bought) books don't have this problem.

I had recently undated to Calibre 6.11 so I went back to 6.8. Didn't help.
I usually convert to epub so I tried several other formats. Didn't help.

I only have around 70 books/short stories on my reader.

I'm thinking now that my reader is the culprit and not the books I'm adding. Anything else I should try before I have to buy a new one? That would one a new can of worms!
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It might be worth trying to reformat the internal memory on the PRS-505. You could have some corrupt files there causing a problem.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

OK, I just reformatted the internal memory and added a HTML book. I've read it before so I know it has worked on the reader in the past. Still having the same problems. Page turning take 4 5 seconds per page. If I try to jump to a page and not turn one page at a time, I get what amounts to an hourglass for about 4 minutes then the reader reboots itself. This time, when it restarted, it opened to the pages I was trying to jump to.

Any other ideas? I'm going to test the SD card now and see if I have the same problem.

Last edited by Katelyn; 09-14-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It certainly sounds like your reader is having problems, but if possible attach one of your epub files and someone can test it for you ontheir reader to help isolate the problem.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Same thing happened to me over the weekend with The Atlantic (reciepe from Calibre 6.12) -- always at the same spot.

I did have my 505 do this once as I was reading "Of Human Bondage" but worked fine after it finished rebooting (but it did lose my bookmarks).

I've only had my 505 about a week and started a thread about this reboot thing when it first happened.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-14-2009 at 12:26 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Katelyn
Addict

Using a PRS-505...

I have attached an epub file that causes the problems described above. For example, If I open the book and page forward, there is a delay of about 4 seconds between each page turn. If I try to jump to another page, the book hangs for several minutes (formatting text at bottom of screen and arrow circling) then reader reboots itself. I've tested 10 different files and have the same issue with almost all of them but only books created from HTML pages.

Would someone else test this and see if you have the same problem?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: epub Dark Side of the Moon - BadSquirrel_75.epub (420.8 KB, 300 views)
Old 09-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
Using a PRS-505...

I have attached an epub file that causes the problems described above. For example, If I open the book and page forward, there is a delay of about 4 seconds between each page turn. If I try to jump to another page, the book hangs for several minutes (formatting text at bottom of screen and arrow circling) then reader reboots itself. I've tested 10 different files and have the same issue with almost all of them but only books created from HTML pages.

Would someone else test this and see if you have the same problem?

Thanks!
Were they all from the same website/source?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Katelyn
Addict

Most of my HTML books come from two or three sources so I'm not sure if all the ones causing problems came from one place or not. I've been creating books from these sites for years and the problems just started a few days ago. As I said in a previous post, I've actually read some of these books before and just recreated them using the same source for the HTML pages so I could reread them.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
Most of my HTML books come from two or three sources so I'm not sure if all the ones causing problems came from one place or not. I've been creating books from these sites for years and the problems just started a few days ago. As I said in a previous post, I've actually read some of these books before and just recreated them using the same source for the HTML pages so I could reread them.

I see. I was wondering if it might be something different/wrong/new in the html that is causing the problem.

If you'd like to give me a url/link I'd be glad to try and duplicate the problem. I.E. create a book from the same source and see if it does the same thing here.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I tried the epub on my PRS 600 and it worked (at least upto page 20)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
Katelyn
Addict

I just noticed that my battery is draining really quickly as well . It appears my reader is headed downhill fast and since the file worked on a different reader, guess it's time to start looking for a new reader.

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the help as always.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
tok240
tok240 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I have the exact same issue with the Atlantic recipe. I'm using a Sony PRS 505, latest firmware I could find and calibre 0.6.16.

The epub looks fine and dandy on my calibre viewer, but whenever I turn to page 9ish or so on my reader (the first big image), my reader goes into reboot mode.

I can also confirmed it happened for 2 different issues (sept and oct). Freaked me out the first time I saw it. I've been making do with a custom recipe for now (no images and not so pretty formatting)

Was this ever solved?
tok240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
A bad character in the html can cause the reader to crash even though it reads fine on the computer. I've experienced this with some ePubs I made using Atlantis - a manual page-break before an h1 tag leads to it inserting an invalid character code at the start of the chapter title. When I remove the bad characters using Notepad++ the ePub works fine.

Katelyn, the ePub you uploaded has references to 'index2.html' in the toc and several of the html files. Since this file doesn't exist inside the ePub that may be what's causing problems on your reader.

If you have problems reading a certain book, I really recommend checking the ePub with ePubcheck as it's far more likely that it's the code that's at fault rather than your reader. ePubCheck often spits out a load of errors on books that read fine. Basically errors of the type 'attribute "qwert" not allowed at this point; ignored' can be disregarded, but 'could not parse toc.ncx: Invalid path' is more serious as are errors that report an invalid XML character.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #14
tok240
tok240 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
A bad character in the html can cause the reader to crash even though it reads fine on the computer. I've experienced this with some ePubs I made using Atlantis - a manual page-break before an h1 tag leads to it inserting an invalid character code at the start of the chapter title. When I remove the bad characters using Notepad++ the ePub works fine.
So, this being my first time exposed to unzipped epubs, to fix this, one must remove the page break in every index.html (one for each article)?

Is there an automated way of doing that?
tok240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #15
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tok240 View Post
So, this being my first time exposed to unzipped epubs, to fix this, one must remove the page break in every index.html (one for each article)?

Is there an automated way of doing that?
In the case I mentioned I found the answer was to remove the manual page breaks in Atlantis and set the heading1 style to 'page break before', which lead to Atlantis generating the appropriate css code for chapter headings.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote