Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
A few of Hidari's posts that I have seen are written with an unhelpful tone. However, in most cases, if one ignores the tone the proposed topic of discussion could very easily be made fruitful and interesting.

I suspect--without meaning to offend--that Hidari is young. Youth is not a sin, it is an affliction.

So I propose, let us not mock the afflicted... if there is anything worth discussing amidst his lines, let us discuss it as the civilized and dignified community that we are. If there is not, let us, as he proposes, ignore him altogether without giving in to any desire to mock him and further alienate him from those that might prove positive influence upon him.

I should note: I am not certain this particular thread is redeemable. Though there is something to be said about Hidari's suggestion, namely that people shouldn't post in a thread simply to start/continue/escalate a fight. Of course, in an ideal world, people would not start threads with such intentions either.

- Ahi
I think that I made a similar error of judgement some time ago and was, rightly, brought back to my senses in the nicest of ways. See this link for the thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46512

Perhaps it is time for me to relinquish the Bilbothy and send it to Japan?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #17
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
4. Granny and the MR posse attack anything that is not PR or "Correct" to their thinking. They post and KNOW.
I have been on the receiving end of Granny's big stick several times and it hurts like a stick of warm butter - nice and soothing. Ooooo, could you rub a little more to the right, I have a bit of a kink there and....oh!, that's the spot!

The MR posse is indeed a well organized offensive mass of humanity (and other such beasts). We occasionally do gather for intense attacks of otters, squirrels, wo**, unsilliness, and other things (but most notably chocolate). We attack these with such ferocity that they do indeed sometimes disappear into nothingness (particularly the chocolate). Almost always, these attacks are done with smiles and good will on the part of the attackers in order to fend off the evil spirits that would linger in The Llounge and spoil the freshness there should these attacks ever be made with anything less than joviality and friendship.

Oh, one more thing. I KNOW EVERYTHING (that's why I post everything with such certainty - there's no point in allowing for pointless disputes when I'm around. Right guys?)
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #18
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Oh, one more thing. I KNOW EVERYTHING (that's why I post everything with such certainty - there's no point in allowing for pointless disputes when I'm around. Right guys?)
Good for you!

One ought not pretend to be wrong for others' benefit.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #19
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
maybe you're just in the wrong place. nobody makes anyone be PC. I spout off all the time (just check the kindle forums if you don't believe me) and people may express dismay at my postings, but have they changed me or my thoughts? nope! not one bit.

this place offers a relaxed ADULT! (you might be having a problem with that) forum for discussion; mostly silly, sometimes serious, but it is relaxed. if you need a contentious place for slander and oneuppersonship, perhaps MR isn't for you.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #20
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
unto each of us is a morality that ought to transcend above and beyond the children's playrooms which, one hopes for most of us, are long gone by. you say, i say, we say....points of view are a valuable part of interaction between us whether they be silly or serious....

attempts to deliberately sling arrows and stones derails the harmony that should prevail....

chocolate rules, Okay .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #21
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Okay, short leash here. Let's make this a discussion about differences or silliness, but not about contentious words. One more and it's closed.

pshrynk (moderator)
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #22
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
CHOCOLATE OTTERS....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #23
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700

We do not know what he was trying to say, maybe he changed his mind... but amidst all the dramma there is something positive!

LET'S BAN #2!
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #24
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Funny I have only been on hear for year and half or so. I actually do like the site and the vast amount of info on ebooks and ereaders that is available here.

Yet, I have learned that this site is very much like many a forum. The groups form and the Leaders and the Followers are put in their place. There are exceptions, but it seems that the emotion and pathetic responses of all parties (including me) takes its toll.

So. I named this thread for several reasons:

1. It is in the lounge: As far as I know that means a relaxed discussion.

3. HarryT and I have had problems on threads in the past but he always lets it go and looks at the positive side of a thread or the interest of the thread. He also respects the person on threads after the previous altercation.

4. Granny and the MR posse attack anything that is not PR or "Correct" to their thinking. They post and KNOW.

5. Hello. This is the Lounge IF you do not like this post. DO not Respond.

6. How long will it take Granny to insult me again? Haha.

hidari
OK .... I'm going to say the same thing I said to you in my reply to your PM. Posting in the Lounge does not automatically make every post a "relaxed" post. You stated that you started the post, in which I assume you were insulted, to "stir things up."

Everyone who responds in a negative manner to your post (which, you said was intended to provoke responses) is not necessarily blindly following the post of any one else who responded.

In fact, I read ONLY your post and responded ONLY to that post. I have no idea what DG said to you, or Harry, or anyone else. I posted my response because that was what I thought about your post.

In that post you did what was, in my opinion, a great disservice to Tolkien, and the Lord of the Rings books. I stated that you should get back to us as soon as you had written something better. I would have said the same thing to anyone who slammed the works of any writer I personally admired.

So, please, don't give me this "posse" crap. I stand by what I wrote. It was my opinion. If you don't want to hear my opinion about something that you post at MR, then don't tell me not to post in your thread. You have an ignore button, I suggest that you USE it.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #25
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Quote:

5. Hello. This is the Lounge IF you do not like this post. DO not Respond.

hidari
hidari, I defended you on the LOTR thread as well as disagreed with you. That's all to the good. The quote above is what I don't get.

You're allowed to criticize but others aren't? When you post a thread it's like letting a bird go. You shouldn't be too surprised if it poops on your car.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #26
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Okay, short leash here. Let's make this a discussion about differences or silliness, but not about contentious words. One more and it's closed.

pshrynk (moderator)
Why, you pointless, contentious sot! How dare you have a leash! Or an opinion! You're always walking around here with those things and it's about time that ended. I'm the one that knows stuff. I should be the only one who decides important stuff like what the topic of this thread is, how many moons there are, how much chocolate is "enough", and such and stuff like that.

So when's lunch?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #27
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Some things are pointless. Agreed? Fine. Agreed. Otters are out. Llamas are back in. Lunch starts in 10 minutes.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #28
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Some things are pointless. Agreed? Fine. Agreed. Otters are out. Llamas are back in. Lunch starts in 10 minutes.

I think they worked at my ski school!!!!!!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #29
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by no.guru View Post
hidari, I defended you on the LOTR thread as well as disagreed with you. That's all to the good. The quote above is what I don't get.

You're allowed to criticize but others aren't? When you post a thread it's like letting a bird go. You shouldn't be too surprised if it poops on your car.
Regardless of what Hidari meant, I personally would draw a line between criticism and trolling responses... a line that doesn't always seem to be drawn, if the object of the criticism/trolling is unpopular. Because some of the replies (not necessarily in this thread) are definitely as inflammatory/trollish as some of Hidari's own posts.

Criticize, sure. But--particularly when a discussion of some relevance already started despite the threads origins--what's the point of simply smugly insulting the thread-starter and saying nothing else? That's no more helpful or constructive than Hidari's wrong-headed tone.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapheemail View Post
I respect your opinion, just as everyone should.
I can't agree with this in general. One should respect people - something I try to remember, not always successfully.

Opinions, on the other hand, may need to be mocked.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote