Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
sputnik
Enthusiast
sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: EB 1150, iLiad
Iliad Software idea

Well, this is not about a software running on the iLiad. Rather, it's about a computer tool that is able to print as pdfs iLiad-tailored doc/html files.

Sometimes I need to create pdf files from doc files to read them on the iLiad.

This takes me several steps: first, I increase the font of the document to make it readable on the iLiad (alternatively, I decrease the page area of the document); next, I print the file as a PDF. This second step also has several sub-steps, as I have to go to the PDFCreator advanced options and specify the horizontal and vertical dimensions.

Bottom line: creating PDFs from docs for the ILiad is a lengthy and cumbersome process. I know, the ILiad Companion software has a "Print" function which is easy to use - it uses the content of the clipboard to create a pdf tailored for the iLiad. Although the process is fast and easy, one does not have control over the font (a big Arial font). I would like to be able to customize the font (I prefer serif), or at least make it smaller. Did anyone think to develop a software to do this? Maybe this has been previously discussed on this forum, or maybe there are tools that can do this. If so, please forgive my ignorance and please point me to the relevant information. Thanks.

Last edited by sputnik; 08-27-2008 at 03:11 PM.
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I use BookDesigner. It has output wizards to create documents for various ebook devices, including PDFs for the iLiad (with correct page sizes, etc).

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
rincewind
Connoisseur
rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad
I use a home made script for Gnome (Linux), which allows me to right click and select "create PDF" of several different file formats. Uses LaTeX and stuff though, but I like it.
rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
sputnik
Enthusiast
sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: EB 1150, iLiad
I just realized that the iLiad Companion software allows one to create pdfs with fonts other than Arial or fonts with various sizes. All you have to do is to go to settings and select PDF Creator as the prefered printer to print the clipboard content (which should be formatted with the font you like). Of course, one needs to install PDF creator first. It seems that with Adobe PDF one cannot control the font size or type.
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:10 AM   #5
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
[SNIP!]

[SNIP!]

....Did anyone think to develop a software to do this?.
Yes, Sun & the FOSS Community.

That's what I do:

1. Load the doc file in OpenOffice
2. Run the "template Changer" add-on
3. Choose one of the iLiad templates you've got (you need two at least, for standard and full size ipdf)
4. Save as pdf

You can also find/create templates for MS Word.
And you can easily built a wizard to do it, also.
Of course, for MS you need PDF Creator installed and configured (just save the page size and DPI you need once).

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
lordmax
Enthusiast
lordmax began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Opus, cybook gen10, Palm LifeDrive, NetBookVaio, Kindle, Tolino
simplicissimus

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
All from web

http://bookmaker.simplicissimus.it/

Just select iLiad, upload the file and save the zip.

Or you can download the OpenOffice's extension to do it offline
lordmax is offline   Reply With Quote