Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #451
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Plus the fact that the log files are in RAM, not in flash:
Code:
[root@kindle log]# pwd
/var/log

[root@kindle log]# ls -l
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         77713 Feb 13 08:44 Xorg.0.log
-rw-------    1 root     root         99592 Feb 13 08:59 messages
-rw-------    1 root     root            45 Feb 13 08:55 netlog
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root             0 Feb 13 08:45 odotlite
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           168 Feb 13 08:25 udhcpc.log
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root             0 Feb 13 08:45 wpa_supplicant

[root@kindle log]# df -h .
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                    32.0M    488.0K     31.5M   1% /var
But I suppose you could worry about RAM wear now instead.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #452
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1: Most of the heavy framework logging is stored on the settings part (/var/local).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #453
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: Most of the heavy framework logging is stored on the settings part (/var/local).
Translation for the non-geek.
The sub-directory /var/local is a persistent storage part of the /var file system tree, stored on the flash device.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #454
peepo
Enthusiast
peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k5
NiLuJe many thanks for your patience and advice,
Where can I raise this as an enhancement bug request?

Rationale:

Evidently this is ghosting, screenshot does not show any transparency.

Having had the Kindle for 18 months, I never noticed this before at all...

when I navigate to a white page, there is still no ghosting,
and I never saw any with the original screensavers.
peepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #455
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Plus the fact that the log files are in RAM, not in flash:
Oh. Uh, that too, yeah. You can tell I've never kicked up usb networking and looked at the thing's non-userstore filesystems, can't you?

Quote:
But I suppose you could worry about RAM wear now instead.
It does exist! Ionic migration and the like will cause failure of powered-on semiconductor devices on sub-century timescales. But, y'know, I'm not terribly worried if my Kindle wears out seventy years from now. I'm more worried about a year or two.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #456
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
- - - -
But, y'know, I'm not terribly worried if my Kindle wears out seventy years from now. I'm more worried about a year or two.
Since I am nearly 70 years old myself, I consider a life time of < 70 years unacceptably short.

A more likely concern would be:
"Can I get a new battery for this device with the life-time of a Mayfly in two years?"
Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #457
peepo
Enthusiast
peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k5
workaround: add 180° rotated image, as they swap ghosting is lost

tx again...
peepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #458
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
A more likely concern would be:
"Can I get a new battery for this device with the life-time of a Mayfly in two years?"
I know the answer to that: yes. I paid for extended insurance, which includes one battery change at a time of my choosing within the three-year insurance coverage.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #459
milkmouse
milkmouse began at the beginning.

Device: KPW
Hi! A little help please? I just got the KPW and successfully installed the Jailbreak and the Python and Screensaver hacks. I can't get the screensaver hack to work properly though.

After a full restart the Kindle will use my custom image for the first screensaver, then after that it no longer uses the images in the folder, just displays whatever was on the screen when it went to sleep.

All the images I've used have been PNG in 758x1024 resolution, some were 24 bit so in case that was the issue I tried again with 1 image in 8 bit. Still the same.

Any ideas?
milkmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #460
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmouse View Post
Hi! A little help please? I just got the KPW and successfully installed the Jailbreak and the Python and Screensaver hacks. I can't get the screensaver hack to work properly though.

After a full restart the Kindle will use my custom image for the first screensaver, then after that it no longer uses the images in the folder, just displays whatever was on the screen when it went to sleep.

All the images I've used have been PNG in 758x1024 resolution, some were 24 bit so in case that was the issue I tried again with 1 image in 8 bit. Still the same.

Any ideas?
Did you place a blank file named last in the linkss folder? That is the only way I know that you would get a screensaver image of the last thing on your screen. If you did, delete it.
That you get one of your custom images after a restart suggests you installed the hack properly (the last screen screensaver is an optional feature of the screensaver hack).
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #461
milkmouse

No, that would have been pretty hard to do by accident!

I finally figured it out, the screensaver images need to be named sequentially as bg_medium_ss_00.png, bg_medium_ss_01.png etc etc.

As long as you stick to this format you can drop images into the screensavers folder and as soon as you eject the kindle they will be added. Apologies if this was already in the instructions
Old 02-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #462
milkmouse

And thanks for the help GoSharks
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #463
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
No, that would have been pretty hard to do by accident!
Didn't mean to insult your intelligence, but you would be surprised what people seem to be able to do by 'accident' around here!

Quote:
I finally figured it out, the screensaver images need to be named sequentially as bg_medium_ss_00.png, bg_medium_ss_01.png etc etc.

As long as you stick to this format you can drop images into the screensavers folder and as soon as you eject the kindle they will be added. Apologies if this was already in the instructions
I'm pretty sure the hack numbers the screensaver images on its own (that's where the random and shuffle features come in)... are you sure you were disconnecting the usb cable before restarting?
Anyway, glad you got things sorted out. Welcome to MR
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #464
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Not screensaver (all working - thanks NiLuJe!) but image-related question: on the PW is there a way to change the default picture that is used for collections to something of our choosing?
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #465
shaicloud
shaicloud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi there,

I followed the guide pretty closely, but when I turn off my screen, the display simply dims to whatever I was on. I made sure there was no last file in the linkss folder...I've tried having the screensaver be the last book I've read, and it did not work, I also tried having a custom image, that was set to the proper resolution 758x1024.

I'm sort of out of ideas
shaicloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch