Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #421
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtzll View Post
...Keep in mind that if I reboot the device, the sceensaver doesn't work right off the bat... I have to go to JBPatch and manually restart the framework every time post boot, and then it works.

Anyway to fix this?
When you say that the screensaver doesn't work, what do you mean? No screensaver? original screensavers? blank screen?
Also, when you do your restart, are you physically disconnecting the usb plug?

Last edited by GoSharks; 02-03-2013 at 12:11 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #422
wtzll
wtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Post in the JBPatch thread on that one, it sounds like a JBPatch problem.
OK... I redid the whole procedure as before, except I skipped the JBPatch, and guess what, It doesn't work . It wont trigger on the boot for some reason.

Something I noticed, when it works, in the linkss folder, a file mounted_ss(or something like that) appears. That only happens when i restart the framework (with the JBPatch).

I'm not sure what is happening here but its strange.
wtzll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #423
wtzll
wtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animalswtzll is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
When you say that the screensaver doesn't work, what do you mean? No screensaver? original screensavers? blank screen?
Also, when you do your restart, are you physically disconnecting the usb plug?
When I say it doesn't work I mean it wont show the default 00_you_can_delete_me-pw.png image in the :\linkss\screensavers directory, but instead the default images (pencils and shit...).

And
Quote:
..I have to go to JBPatch and manually restart the framework...
I mean, i go to JBPatch -> go to third tab and click restart framework.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #424
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And I mean, i go to JBPatch -> go to third tab and click restart framework.
Have you tried a restart via menu > settings (not just a framework restart through JBPatch) without having a usb plug connected to your computer?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #425
wtzll

Quote:
Have you tried a restart via menu > settings (not just a framework restart through JBPatch) without having a usb plug connected to your computer?
Haha yes. I removed the cable and restarted as you said. And it works now (without JBPatch). Interesting....
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #426
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Haha yes. I removed the cable and restarted as you said. And it works now (without JBPatch). Interesting....
Go ahead and reinstall JBPatch (if you want it), they do all play nicely with each other - promise! Welcome to MR by the way.... here's some K for perseverance!

Last edited by GoSharks; 02-03-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #427
wtzll

Quote:
Go ahead and reinstall JBPatch (if you want it), they do all play nicely with each other - promise! Welcome to MR by the way.... here's some K for perseverance!
Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #428
pico.marco
pico.marco began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
pico.marco have you tried uninstalling the screensaver hack and then reinstalling it?
That solved a similar issue for me.
Yes, I tried... And now it works! Thanks!
pico.marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #429
pgfiore
Enthusiast
pgfiore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks from me too (kpw 5.3.3, jbpatch already working).
I re-installed many times with no results...

The trick had been to uninstall linkss 0.7.N and then installing one more. works like a charm!
pgfiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #430
doodie
doodie began at the beginning.

god I suck I don't know what the heck I did but everytime I try to put anything in the links/screensavers folder (a png, a blank cover file) and reboot it gets deleted.

Last edited by doodie; 02-07-2013 at 02:07 AM.
doodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #431
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodie View Post
god I suck I don't know what the heck I did but everytime I try to put anything in the links/screensavers folder (a png, a blank cover file) and reboot it gets deleted.
The application automatically deletes un-usable files.

Something is wrong with the file you are trying to use.
Try again with a file known to work on your device (which you did not mention).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #432
doodie
doodie began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The application automatically deletes un-usable files.

Something is wrong with the file you are trying to use.
Try again with a file known to work on your device (which you did not mention).

lol
somehow I missed reading that far I just assumed if the cover was sent tagged in calibre everything would work without having to resize and stuff.

doodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #433
pgfiore
Enthusiast
pgfiore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I feel dumb... but can I put more than 1 file in the links/screensavers folder and set which one I want as fixed screensaver? (with 1 file only, mine already works btw)
ciao
pgfiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #434
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
OK, so I looked at the screensaver hack and recoiled in horror when I found that every time you switch books (in cover mode) it's copying the current cover to ${LINKSS_BASEDIR}/screensavers/bg_{medium,small}_xs00.png. This is not going to have a good impact on Flash life at all (I know, it's not so important these days, but I'm a systems programmer and that means I'm a professional paranoid; I even found myself worrying about what would happen if power went out during all those writes and had to remind myself the Kindle has a battery! but I really do care about Flash life on a device as important as my entire library).

A possibly-stupid suggestion off the top of my head for fixing this. At bin/linkss time, mount a tmpfs on $LINKSS_BASEDIR/ss-internal and bind-mount *that* over /usr/share/blanket/screensaver (rather than directly bind-mounting the screensavers dir as now), and when you have to switch a screensaver, drop an absolute symlink in the tmpfs pointing at the screensaver you want to use (/mnt/us/linkss/whatever).

Now the total number of Flash writes per in-cache book switch is *zero*. It would be faster too, since Flash writes are slow.

Am I missing some obvious reason why this wouldn't work?

Last edited by NullNix; 02-09-2013 at 07:50 PM.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #435
phoneticerror
phoneticerror began at the beginning.

Sorry to have to ask, but I've installed everything the way I have been told to. All my screensavers are in the correct place, and have the correct dimensions/file type. I've rebooted my device twice, but I'm still getting the exact same built in screensaver that I always have had. None of mine are making an appearance on the Paperwhite screen. Anybody know why this is?
phoneticerror is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch