Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Big Changes for Amazon Cloud

Cloud Player and Cloud Drive are now two separate services; and the prices for storage in Cloud Drive have been cut in half.

--- IMPORTANT NEW INFORMATION --- (03 Aug 2012)

Quote:
Thanks to information I learned from Atunah, it's come to my attention that Amazon has different pricing plans for different people. Why, I have no idea. Anyway, the subscription options for Atunah show plans where music is a separate plan priced at $25 per year on top of the data plan prices (see below). For further details, see the thread starting with post 106.

Clearly, this is a significant increase in cost for those who are not offered the bundled plans. They may wish to consider Google's free 20,000 song plan.

Cloud Player has two versions - free and premium. Free will allow you to import up to 250 non-Amazon purchased songs. Premium will allow you to import up to 250,000 non-Amazon purchased songs. The import is similar to Apple's iTunes Match. Songs purchased from Amazon don't count toward these storage limits.

Prices for Cloud Player Premium start at $25/ year and include 50GB and up of Cloud Drive storage.

Cloud Drive Pans & Pricing per Year
  • free = 5GB + Cloud Player Free
  • $10 = 20GB + Cloud Player Free
  • $25 = 50GB + Cloud Player Premium
  • $50 = 100GB + Cloud Player Premium
  • $100 = 200GB + Cloud Player Premium
  • $250 = 500GB + Cloud Player Premium
  • $500 = 1,000GB + Cloud Player Premium
By contrast, Apple only allows up to 25,000 non-iTunes purchased songs in iTunes Match. The $25 yearly fee for music is the same for both, but Amazon also includes 50GB of Cloud Drive storage; whereas Apple only includes 5GB. An additional 50GB of cloud storage from Apple will set you back another $100.

Complete details can be found here:

Amazon MP3 Store and Cloud Player Support

Last edited by tubemonkey; 08-03-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: new information on plan pricing
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
But can we resell access to our accounts?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Oh, wow. I went over to Amazon MP3 just a few months ago. I have more than 250 songs from my CDs on there as well as what I have bought fro Amazon, so I guess I'll have to pay for premium?
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Oh, wow. I went over to Amazon MP3 just a few months ago. I have more than 250 songs from my CDs on there as well as what I have bought fro Amazon, so I guess I'll have to pay for premium?
Unless you have quite a bit more than 250, I'd take them off. Otherwise, it'll cost you $25 a year to listen to your own music.

I only keep Amazon purchased songs (over 1,000) in my cloud. My CD's are on my hard drive and mSD cards. That's sufficient for me.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:

Yeah, you'll have to delete a bunch or pay up after 30 days.

I was mad, because the original deal was if you'd bought music from Amazon, you got to use Cloud Player for free, including storing your own music there.

I know they can 'change their terms at any time', but it still felt like a shitty move.

So it's back to Pandora for me for listening to music at work.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Duze
Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, Nook Color (CM7), Nexus 7 (pre-ordered), GTab 7+ (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Free will allow you to import up to 250 non-Amazon purchased songs.
Think ill stick with Google music. They allow 20k songs for free.
Duze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

I was mad, because the original deal was if you'd bought music from Amazon, you got to use Cloud Player for free, including storing your own music there.

I know they can 'change their terms at any time', but it still felt like a shitty move.

Really the only thing that has changed is there is now a 250 song limit, on songs you didn't buy from Amazon. Amazon purchased music still seems to be free.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Really the only thing that has changed is there is now a 250 song limit, on songs you didn't buy from Amazon. Amazon purchased music still seems to be free.

That's like saying, 'the only thing that's changed in that recipe is they now use caviar instead of sugar.'

The upshot of it is that it makes want to boycott buying music from Amazon at all - trying to force me into a walled-garden is the surest way to lose me as a customer.

It's why I don't own a Nook, it's why I don't own a Kindle, it's why I don't own an iPad or iPod.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
That was a one year promo, but they kept extending it. Mine is slated to end 18 Aug.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Google has the best free cloud package and Amazon has the best paid cloud package.

Free Cloud Plans
  • Amazon: 5GB data + 250 songs
  • Apple: 5GB data + 0 songs
  • Google: 5GB data + 20,000 songs

Paid Cloud Plans
  • Amazon: 50GB data + 250,000 songs = $25/ year
  • Apple: 5GB data + 25,000 songs = $25/ year
  • Google: 25GB data + 20,000 songs = $30/ year
Old 08-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unless you have quite a bit more than 250, I'd take them off. Otherwise, it'll cost you $25 a year to listen to your own music.

I only keep Amazon purchased songs (over 1,000) in my cloud. My CD's are on my hard drive and mSD cards. That's sufficient for me.
Quote:

Yeah. I have a dinky amount of storage on my phone and even my Walkman MP3 can't hold all my music, though it does hold the vast majority, certainly everything but my recent purchases (it is 4G - the Walkman, not the phone). So, I need a cloud player. I only have about 1000 songs.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Yeah. I have a dinky amount of storage on my phone and even my Walkman MP3 can't hold all my music, though it does hold the vast majority, certainly everything but my recent purchases (it is 4G - the Walkman, not the phone). So, I need a cloud player. I only have about 1000 songs.
For music on the go, I use my Sansa Clip Zip 8GB w/ mSD cards. At home, I mostly stream Pandora and local rock stations on my iPod touch or Grace Internet Radio. I really have no need to store my own music in the cloud.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
For music on the go, I use my Sansa Clip Zip 8GB w/ mSD cards. At home, I mostly stream Pandora and local rock stations on my iPod touch or Grace Internet Radio. I really have no need to store my own music in the cloud.
Yeah. I tried a Sansa 2-3 years ago but returned it and got the Walkman. The Sansa didn't work out for me.

I haven't tried Pandora but I don't listen to rock stations. I'd rather shuffle my own music.

I admit ignorance as to whether my Walkman has an SD card slot or not. I've never used an SD card. If I'd gotten an 8G instead of a 4G Walkman, I'd still have plenty of room.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just "bought" my first Amazon mp3 last night with free bonus points I earned buying apps for my grandson's Fire, and the download opened automatically in iTunes. Being as I already use an off-site backup, I could care less about the terms of either Amazon or Apple.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

I only keep Amazon purchased songs ...in my cloud. ...That's sufficient for me.
That's what I've been using it for, only those cd's purchased from Amazon ... e.g. free. I copy non-amazon cd's to my phone and tablet as needed, but most of my purchases for the past many years are from Amazon anyway.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote