Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #706
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Ok I have some weird behavior here on my KT. I'm also using the ;fc-cache font hack (the one without actually any additional hack to install). After installing JBPatch 2.4.0 there are three additional fonts that show up in the Aa selection menu in any given book.

HangulGothicMTC-Medium_E
HeiseiMaruG
MHeiGB18030C-Medium_E

Those fonts are nowhere to be found within the user partition, forcing another ;fc-cache doesn't get rid of them, but deactivating the font hack does. So thats what I've done for the moment. I've seen at least one of the fonts mentioned in the font resizing topic here on mobileread and that only those 3 are showing for me might have something to do with me already having 6 other custom fonts installed and showing in the Aa menu.

edit: Little specification - The strange fonts only show up once you've changed the fontsize preset via the GUI, having the plugin activated, but still set to the default fontsizes does not trigger it.

Last edited by notimp; 09-21-2012 at 05:20 PM.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #707
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@notimp: FWIW, those are some of the default CJK fonts.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #708
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Hah - interesting. So for some reason the font menu decides to list them, when the fontsizehack is enabled (and I guess you are using the ;fc-cache /fonts folder combo). Btw. Kindle system language is english and no, i can't read CJK signs, never had to..

Last edited by notimp; 09-21-2012 at 05:24 PM.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:19 AM   #709
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
@ixtab

discovered two side effects of the Font Size Patch.

1. Font size of titles of articles sent to Kindle will become VERY big (equal to the maximum font size).

without patch:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-21T19_28_57-0055.gif
Views:	311
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	92748

with patch:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-21T19_20_18-0055.gif
Views:	269
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	92749

2. for some books, eg, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, the font size of the body text will become one size bigger than that of other books. and the Book title and Chapter titles will also expand to the maximum font size.

hope these bugs can be fixed. thanks again.

Last edited by yiming; 09-23-2012 at 09:09 AM.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #710
Xzwatz
Xzwatz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
@ixtab:

Thanks for this great tool. I've just installed it on weekend, it's amazing.

I'm wondering why Amazon doesn't include this kind of features on the official firmwares...
Xzwatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #711
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
I have jbpatch v 2.40, and whenever I try to configure the text size to below 7, and I select that font size, it just stays on the size it's already at.
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #712
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@everyone having problems with the font size patch: please keep reporting them, preferrably with as much detail as you can, so that I can try to reproduce the problem and figure out what is going on (when I get some time).

Please also report if the books in question are in KF2 or KF8 format. It may well be that the patch only works partially with KF8 books, because Amazon chose to implement the KF8 reader as a native application (which is something that JBPatch cannot change). For instance, I have tested font size 4, and it works - but maybe the KF8 reader has its own lower limit of 7.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #713
trtek
trtek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Screensaver in JBPatch ?

Hi,

thanks for developing JBPatch, it´s really great tool :-)
I would be very pleased, if there could be also patch for screensaver. I would make o copy of title screen (first page) of the book - this copy is saved in root directory as .bmp or .jpg file (I don´t remember). And then with this patch I could make a .png file, that would be moved to the screensaver directory used by Simple Screensaver ... Sounds good, does´n it ? Please, please, please ... :-)
trtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #714
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
JBPatch == Java Bytecode Patch
What you are asking for is more along the lines of a script that could be run by the user.
Should have nothing at all to do with patching Java bytecode.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #715
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
JBPatch == Java Bytecode Patch
What you are asking for is more along the lines of a script that could be run by the user.
Should have nothing at all to do with patching Java bytecode.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #716
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
@ixtab

discovered two side effects of the Font Size Patch.

1. Font size of titles of articles sent to Kindle will become VERY big (equal to the maximum font size).

2. for some books, eg, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, the font size of the body text will become one size bigger than that of other books. and the Book title and Chapter titles will also expand to the maximum font size.

hope these bugs can be fixed. thanks again.
OK, I'm attaching an attempt to fix this. Rename the attached file to .jar (do not unpack it!) and install as usual.

@2a: The font size of Alice in Wonderland is indeed "1 larger" than the default - but it also is with the patch disabled. So this must have been set somewhere in the book itself - well, it's Alice in Wonderland after all

@2b: I don't see this happening with the new version. Please report back whether it keeps happening for you.

@1: Please report back whether this keeps happening for you.

If you still keep having problems with "titles are maximum size", please post the exact steps to reproduce (i.e., the exact font settings that you're using, and ideally a document with which this is happening).

EDIT: Attachment removed - file is now available on the JBPatch Wiki Page

Last edited by ixtab; 10-04-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #717
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
What about a customization for interline? As suggestion, you can do the same as in font sizes or add more options to interline screen, best if those options are customizable via hack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I second the line-height/interline request, if it's at all doable, I'll love you forever and ever ;D.
Hmm... I'm afraid that I can't really do much about this:
Code:
"font.mobi.linespacing.values", new int[] {
                1, 2, 3
            }
Note that these are int values.

I actually (personally) don't see anything that would need to be fixed concerning the current values - anything smaller than the minimum value becomes pretty much unusable, as does anything larger than the maximum. (I usually keep it at the "middle" setting).

So *exactly* which issues are you actually having with the line spacing?
Old 09-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #718
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Hmm... I'm afraid that I can't really do much about this:
Code:
"font.mobi.linespacing.values", new int[] {
                1, 2, 3
            }
Note that these are int values.

I actually (personally) don't see anything that would need to be fixed concerning the current values - anything smaller than the minimum value becomes pretty much unusable, as does anything larger than the maximum. (I usually keep it at the "middle" setting).

So *exactly* which issues are you actually having with the line spacing?
No issues, but I like condensed lines a lot. I know it is a fetichism, but I like it.

However, if values are integers and starts with 1, AFAIK nothing can be done.

Well, put 0 and have all book in only one line.

A lot of thanks, master!
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #719
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab: I don't have anything against the default values on mobi books, either, what's bothering me is the fact that it's slightly larger on KF8 books at the same setting .

(And since it's overridable on the K3, I thought it was worth a shot ).

EDIT: Err, no, I remembered that wrong, it wasn't on the K3 either, and it used the same 1/2/3 int settings. *sigh* ;'(
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #720
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ixtab: I don't have anything against the default values on mobi books, either, what's bothering me is the fact that it's slightly larger on KF8 books at the same setting .

(And since it's overridable on the K3, I thought it was worth a shot ).

EDIT: Err, no, I remembered that wrong, it wasn't on the K3 either, and it used the same 1/2/3 int settings. *sigh* ;'(
If it's KF8, it's (unfortunately) out of scope for JBPatch anyway, I suppose.

For plain mobi files, an option would of course be to find out where exactly these int settings are used and "translated" into pixels.

You can decompile the com.mobipocket.common.library.reader.TableLayout and FrameConstructor classes (and their inner classes) from a 5.0.x firmware to get a taste of what the task will be like - or, for even more mayhem, because even class and method names are obfuscated, take the actual com.mobipocket.common.library.reader.n and db classes (and inner classes) from a 5.1.x firmware. The solution is somewhere in there.

If someone can pinpoint the exact code location requiring a change, I'm willing to look into this. However, I'm not going to do this research myself - it will require about the same amount of reverse engineering effort as the alignment/hyphenation patch (=days, not hours), but in contrast to that patch, this one just wouldn't be worth such an effort (IMO).

Last edited by ixtab; 09-25-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks