Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-11-2016, 12:45 AM   #1816
daxp
daxp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

See post: 1810 above (I.E: Scroll up)
I've tried that three times now. Make the changes (and then change the changes, and then triple check the jar file on the Kindle) unplug and restart, go to a book, open the AA menu and change the margins (and line spacing for good measure), back to the first, and every setting seems to be the default. The second time I changed all of the wordsperline.margin numbers to be 10 instead of the 10, 20, and 30 recommended in post #1577 (linked in the super helpful tutorial on post #1795), and the third time I checked with USB networking was just to grab the jar and make sure the changes were still there. I left content.leftMargin and content.rightMargin at 11, as listed in #1577, because I think those are for PDF files and I don't have any on my Kindle right now. Comparing mine to another 1st gen PW with FW 5.6.1.1 the margins are nearly identical.

I'll just deal with the margins for now I guess. I've got other jailbreak goodies working fine, other than rebooting making the Kindle think I need to connect to WiFi to download Special Offers again. Subscribing and unsubscribing on the Amazon site fixes that, though, and if I stop trying to get this working I won't need to reboot really.
daxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #1817
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I did not see in your posts where you had tried that before, or even acknowledged that you had read those directions.
None of us (other than Amazon) can see over your shoulder or channel into your mind for details that you do not write about.

What format(s) of book are you testing with?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #1818
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@daxp: Did you edit correct jar files, to match interface language that you're using on your Kindle? As in jars with filename ending with that language code (like "en_US"). There are 2 sets of files for english...
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #1819
daxp
daxp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I did not see in your posts where you had tried that before, or even acknowledged that you had read those directions.
None of us (other than Amazon) can see over your shoulder or channel into your mind for details that you do not write about.

What format(s) of book are you testing with?
I did state that, after Shamans suggested it. I should have put it in the first post, though. I've tried it with newer Amazon books (AZW3, I think?), older AZWs, and Mobis (some converted from PDF). I haven't tried PDFs, which I think use the left and right margins and not the words per line margins, but I think they'd still be in my Calibre library to pop onto the Kindle. It looks like I got it, now, though.

Quote:
@daxp: Did you edit correct jar files, to match interface language that you're using on your Kindle? As in jars with filename ending with that language code (like "en_US"). There are 2 sets of files for english...
Hm, I thought for sure this would be it as I did edit the en_GB, but I don't see a second file for English. Changing the language to English (United Kingdom) fixed it, though! I'm not sure why the en_US doesn't appear to be there in WinSCP, but it doesn't matter. Now I just need to fiddle with the margins to make them just right. Thanks for the help!
daxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #1820
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxp View Post
I've tried changing the words per line setting to each option, it's still using the defaults. I think I either edited the wrong thing in the jar file or it reset itself.
That is the only post after Shamans suggestion.
Even with you pointing me to it, I still can't read into that that you switched away from the settings you had changed, re-booted, then re-selected the settings you had changed.
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #1821
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
https://youtu.be/w0XGlXSW45Y?t=10s

Last edited by shamanNS; 04-11-2016 at 02:47 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #1822
pietro77
pietro77 began at the beginning.

Device: KO3
Hi.
I`m on jailbreak 5.6.5 (PW3). I was to quick and I installed JBpatch. After researching I found margin hack which can bu used through usbnet, Unfortunately it is not working. Any idea why? Is it JBpatch messing up or, is something else?
pietro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #1823
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pietro77: Read the first post again, I'm sure you'll figure it out...

(Hint: check the dates).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #1824
pietro77

You mean that JBpatch not suporting 5.6.5? I understand that, but when I tried install it, install mr packages started. Now I just can`t figure out why ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB is not working on my PW3.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #1825
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because the install package isn't version bound (it could, it just isn't).

So, what, actually, where you trying to do? And what *did* you do? Because manually tweaking the .jar files is completely orthogonal to JPBatch, so I'm at a loss why you're asking about JBPatch while talking about something else.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #1826
pietro77

I writing about JBpatch because that was reply I got why is not working that what I trying to do.
And I talking about:
I downloaded file ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB, putted it in root directory.
Connect through usbnet using Putty.
Made command:
mntroot rw
cp /mnt/us/ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB.jar /opt/amazon/ebook/lib
disconnect Kindle and restart.
When open book and change margins I should see difference but nothing change, Amazons margins still there.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #1827
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Again, both of those things are completely orthogonal, and both of those things are very, very, very FW-specific, and pretty much unsupported out of the box on FW 5.6.5.

So, details, please.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #1828
Marco77
Connoisseur
Marco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PW3, Clara HD, PB740
@pietro77: a kind soul ITT gave us a fishing pole. I don't know where you downloaded said .jar but there are risks involved when replacing the jar as is (obfuscated class names different b/w firmware versions). Do yourself a favor, download Java Bytecode Editor and follow the instructions to create your custom-made jar. You surely have backups, right?

btw, I haven't tried, but does JBPatch compile in eclipse with a 5.6.5 framework?

Last edited by Marco77; 05-21-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Marco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:57 AM   #1829
hontehai
hontehai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
PW2 edit as previous post of sprite7. Top and bottom margin are OK. But it is not work for left and right margins.
hontehai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #1830
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco77 View Post
@pietro77: a kind soul ITT gave us a fishing pole. I don't know where you downloaded said .jar but there are risks involved when replacing the jar as is (obfuscated class names different b/w firmware versions). Do yourself a favor, download Java Bytecode Editor and follow the instructions to create your custom-made jar. You surely have backups, right?

btw, I haven't tried, but does JBPatch compile in eclipse with a 5.6.5 framework?
No reports here on that question.

Follow the "JBpatch - continued" thread for new work.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks