Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
A format having a monopoly doesn't mean it's something that needs to be followed.
And a format that is followed need not be monopolized.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #62
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If ePub was to ever go away, Amazon would rule and that would be not good for humanity.
THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

I know I won't sleep well tonight now that I've been made aware of that nasty boogeyman Amazon and its desire to destroy humanity....
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #63
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Format discussions remind me of quasi religious furvor arguments (you know like OS zealots have all the time)
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
(you know like OS zealots have all the time)
We prefer Productivity Environment Activists.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #65
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
We prefer Productivity Environment Activists.
But you have to admit that the Essential Productivity Usage Brotherhood (ePub) is a more inclusive, better society!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #66
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
A monopoly is never good for consumers. Which is why I support Amazon's efforts to keep the ePub format from attaining monopoly among the ebook formats. If Amazon wouldn't fight the good fight, ePub would rule and that would not be good for humanity.
Amazon has been sent back in time to prevent Epub from becoming self-aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I suspect the DX models might be out of luck as well.
They will probably lose features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Amazon is not fighting a monopoly. They are leveraging their near monopoly on the ebook market in order to put out their own format, and in turn using the format to further enhance their monopoly.

Sorry, but amazon users cannot simultaneously argue that ePub is not a standard that needs to be followed AND ePub is a monopoly to be fought against.
Amazon has 2/3 of the US market and just over 50% of the global market. It's not a monopoly. Yet.

Also, "leveraging their monopoly" is usually a term that is used when a company is using its monopoly in one market to give it an advantage in another area. I.e., MS leveraged its monopoly in the desktop OS market to gain advantage in the browser market. There's no "format" market, so that's not really what Amazon is doing...any more than epub is leveraging its near monopoly to put out epub 3.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #67
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Okay, I don't want to turn this thread into an argument like the other one.

But here is the one thing I hate about mobi: it can't be edited. At least I don't have anything that can edit it. I'm the type who cannot settle in and enjoy a book if there's something about the format that bugs me. Like I am reading a book right now where every paragraph is inexplicably shifted to the right. So I have to edit it, which can only be (easily) done in ePub. (turns out they wrapped everything in a blockquote. Why?). Then convert back to read. pita.

DRM may bother me on a principle level, but the uneditable binary format bothers me on a practical level. It's the worst thing about the kindle, afaic.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty
I'm the type who cannot settle in and enjoy a book if there's something about the format that bugs me. Like I am reading a book right now where every paragraph is inexplicably shifted to the right. So I have to edit it
Must've been a real bitch having to correct, reformat and reprint those physical books before ebooks came along.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #69
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
But here is the one thing I hate about mobi: it can't be edited. At least I don't have anything that can edit it.
[snip]
DRM may bother me on a principle level, but the uneditable binary format bothers me on a practical level. It's the worst thing about the kindle, afaic.
No DRMed format can be edited (without stripping the DRM).

For Mobipocket, I refer you to the now rather sophisticated mobiunpack.py script, which when used in conjunction with Kindlegen gives a pretty good method of editing Mobipocket ebooks for minor (or even major) changes.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #70
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
I'm sorry I'm so behind the curve here. It seems that there's a well-established dislike for the .mobi format, but I've been unable to really find a breakdown of its flaws (something tells me that a forum search for "mobi" would be unproductive... or rather, excessively productive). Could someone tell me (or direct me to a particular post that tells me) why mobi stacks up so poorly to, say, ePub?

Edit: nevermind, I think I've managed to answer at least most of my question. Sorry!
Could you tell us where you found the info so we could learn this also? I've been curious, too.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #71
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Could you tell us where you found the info so we could learn this also? I've been curious, too.
I don't know about sources of the info, but I can quickly address a few of the major limitations of the current Mobipocket format:
  • No image wrapping
  • No right indents
  • Inconsistent text sizing
  • No text transformations
  • No font support
  • No scalable images
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #72
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Must've been a real bitch having to correct, reformat and reprint those physical books before ebooks came along.
All kidding aside, I actually agree with @Barty on the crappiness of many eBooks as far as formatting goes. Printed books rarely have the terrible formatting associated with eBooks. As an example, I downloaded the Sample for a book on HTML5 and CSS3 yesterday. The text of the entire Sample was in Bold. I'm guessing the publisher forgot to turn off a Bold tag. All headings showed no space between themselves and the paragraphs above and below. There were a few other glaring formatting issues too. Okay, can you see what the issue with formatting was? Especially if you realize that this book cost $26 and ironically has as its main topic how to format. I would be willing to bet that the print version looks fine. Needless to say I chose to pass on this eBook and deleted the Sample.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #73
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
^^^. Right. I've never come across a printed book with fubar'ed formatting like some ebooks.

Of course with a printed book, I know I can't do anything about it. Just have to soldier on or find a better copy or read something else. With an ebook, I know I can fix it. So I do. Sonetimes I want to email the publisher and say here, fix it for ya. How about a free coupon or something :-)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #74
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
All kidding aside, I actually agree with @Barty on the crappiness of many eBooks as far as formatting goes.
I do too... I just couldn't resist.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #75
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yes, I get the feeling that eBooks are treated like the unwanted stepchild by most publishers. I keep hoping that will change now that eBooks seem to be outselling print editions in some markets. Eventually they should start paying more attention to the formatting, not that they will. I still see terribly written web articles on major news websites that would never make it into printed magazines and newspapers. So I guess the problem is with digital writing in general and not just eBooks.