Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Snarky LA Times article about Kindle Library Lending

I was really surprised and disappointed by the tone and content of this article from the LA Times. Clevnet has the "Girl with..." books for Kindle, but only has "Freedom" as an audio book. Plus, did they have to pick those particular books as examples of what is available. Really, it's all around just terrible reporting.

Kindle books are at 11,000 libraries -- but any you want to read?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
What a duche......LA Times, that is.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Why would they target Kindle? Don't the numbers they're presenting represent the titles available through the OverDrive Lending system as a whole? Amazon didn't choose the titles that the libraries would have available. That whole article makes no sense. It should have been about ebook lending in general. Did ebook lending suck before Kindle jumped in? I think it must have if the article can be believed.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-21-2011 at 03:51 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
What - surely you didn't expect a reporter to research and gain a true understanding about Publisher controlled eBook availability via Overdrive before writing an article about eBook availability via Overdrive?

What do you think this is? The old days when journalists were actually......journalists?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Sounds like someone has a little sand in their vajayjay.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Why would they target Kindle? Don't the numbers they're presenting represent the titles available through the OverDrive Lending system as a whole? Amazon didn't choose the titles that the libraries would have available. That whole article makes no sense. It should have been about ebook lending in general. Did ebook lending suck before Kindle jumped in? I think it must have if the article can be believed.
Yes, ebook lending sucked before Kindle jumped in!! The Libraries, Overdrive, and Amazon added a bunch more people looking for ebooks without adding anymore copies. The long wait lists are mostly folks that use EPUB or PDF versions of ebooks not the handful of Kindle owners that have found kbooks at their libraries. IT IS ONLY GOING TO GET WORSE.

Part of the problem, as I see it, is that the default is to check the ebook out for 21 days. Not enough people know how to change that or how to return the ebook after they finish it. The default check out length should be 7 days or a group of buttons where the person has to select the number of days, so they know there is an option.

Read this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200747550

Notice that Amazon doesn't have anything about how to return an ebook. I complained out that and others should also.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree the reporter is a numb skull.

Last edited by davem2bits; 09-21-2011 at 04:48 PM.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Max is 14 days for my library (7 days is an option too).

Last edited by markdek; 09-21-2011 at 05:23 PM.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Part of the problem, as I see it, is that the default is to check the ebook out for 21 days. Not enough people know how to change that or how to return the ebook after they finish it. The default check out length should be 7 days or a group of buttons where the person has to select the number of days, so they know there is an option.
My default is 21 days. And that's my only choice for Kindle books. I'd shorten it to 14 if I could, but it's not an option for Kindlebooks at my library... only for epub's and pfdf's. I'll definitely make sure to return them manually before the 21 days is up. But hopefully, my library will allow me to change that setting in the future.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Publishers love 21 day checkouts. That means fewer people get the books, which might lead some to purchase them instead of waiting.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Publishers love 21 day checkouts. That means fewer people get the books, which might lead some to purchase them instead of waiting.
So is it 21 days for Kindle books across the board that everyone is seeing?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
At my library it's 14 days. Or if I want it could be 14 days. That was the only selection.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I'd check but every Kindle version is already checked out at my library.

I am able to select 7, 14, or 21 days at my library. If I was you I would complain to someone (Don't ask me who) at your library. These are probably options that the someone at the library sets when they sign up to use OverDrive; like whether the thing you put your ebooks in before you check out is called a book bag, or a cart.

Last edited by davem2bits; 09-21-2011 at 07:04 PM.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Clevnet allows a 7/14/21 day selectable loan period with a 21-day default. It's easy to change from a drop down menu on the checkout screen, but I doubt many people bother.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
My libraries default to 21 days, but give you the option to change it to 7 or 14 days.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I have the 7/14/21 day selectable loan period for every format except Kindle. Ah well, maybe they'll add the option later.