Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Calibre crash causing files on PRS-505 to not be indexed

I've had a problem with 0.6.45 (WinXP) frequently crashing near the end of uploads to my PRS-505. The files are transferred -- I can see them, and open them, in Windows -- but they can't be seen either in Calibre or in the PRS. Unless I know exactly which books they are (difficult, with a big batch) the only solution seems to be to clear the whole memory or SD card, then re-upload every book ... which, 4 times out of 5, will crash somewhere during the process, usually near the end, requiring doing it over again, repeatedly.

I may just be blind, or not have RTFM'd enough (or just need more sleep), but is there some option I haven't spotted that will force the files that have already been transferred to be properly indexed and become visible after such a crash?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I've had a problem with 0.6.45 (WinXP) frequently crashing near the end of uploads to my PRS-505. The files are transferred -- I can see them, and open them, in Windows -- but they can't be seen either in Calibre or in the PRS. Unless I know exactly which books they are (difficult, with a big batch) the only solution seems to be to clear the whole memory or SD card, then re-upload every book ... which, 4 times out of 5, will crash somewhere during the process, usually near the end, requiring doing it over again, repeatedly.

I may just be blind, or not have RTFM'd enough (or just need more sleep), but is there some option I haven't spotted that will force the files that have already been transferred to be properly indexed and become visible after such a crash?
You say crash?? Is there an error message associated with this crash?

Not knowing anymore I would start fresh by doing the following:

1. Format internal memory via prs-300 menu.

2. Reformat the SD card with FAT32.

3. Check the DB integrity in Calibre by going to preferences - advanced.

4. Transfer the files again and keep your fingers crossed.

Good Luck!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No Calibre error message, just the standard WinXP whining about "this program has to close" and Calibre goes away. Next time I'll snag the MS error report data and see if it says anything useful. There has to be a first time for everything. I've got no real clue what is causing it, and although I didn't check the bug database, I haven't noticed anyone complaining here on the forums, so I suspect it's some weird system issue unique to me.

Already formatted the SD card Fat-32. When I first got Calibre, I was getting Calibre errors with the default (FAT-16) formatting, so I did a bit of searching and found that fix.

I'll try the internal memory reformat. Thankfully, I was smart enough to tag which files went to main memory and which to SD card.

Thanks for the advice, and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This may also be related to PDF files. If you are sending PDF files to the device, try turning off the pdf metadata writer plugin.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This may also be related to PDF files. If you are sending PDF files to the device, try turning off the pdf metadata writer plugin.
You've said this so often it should be in my brain by now.
Advert
Old 03-20-2010, 05:36 AM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

I don't have many PDFs, though I do have a few -- the Reader is a great way to keep manuals and documentati on hand. However, it also happens when I'm just transferring epubs, so it's probably not a PDF-specific problem. I suspect the actual crashes are something local to my computer, rather than Calibre itself, and I probably won't be able to avoid them; that's why I'm trying to find a way to make Calibre and the 505 recognize the files that have already been transferred.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You could try using "Save to Disk" in Calibre to save the files in a folder on your PC, and then copy them manually to the drives on the PRS-505. This will mean that any tag/collection information is not set up, but the books themselves should be OK.

When you unplug the PRS-505 it should find all the books you have transferred. That was the strange thing about your "crash" descriptions. If the books have transfered OK they should always be founbd. It is only the Collection related information that needs to go through the "Send to Device" code in Calibre.

I have PRS-Plus firmware on my PRS-505 which means I can navigate the PRS-505 file system to select a book - and this is very useful if the Collection information is missing.

Last edited by itimpi; 03-20-2010 at 08:12 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I don't have many PDFs, though I do have a few -- the Reader is a great way to keep manuals and documentati on hand. However, it also happens when I'm just transferring epubs, so it's probably not a PDF-specific problem.
There is a specific problem with writing the metadata to PDF files (which occurs when you send to device) on some computers that does cause exactly what you are seeing. Before dismissing this idea go to plugins and turn off pdf metadata writer plugin.

Good Luck.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:33 AM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Would this problem crop up, though, when no PDFs are being transferred?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:44 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no, only if pdf files are being transferred.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Calibre has crashed while sitting idle, in the background, with no device connected. After a sudden rush of brains to the head, I collected the Windows error reporting data (calibre itself just dies quietly) which is as follows:

AppName: calibre.exe AppVer: 0.6.45.0 ModName: python26.dll
ModVer: 2.6.3150.1013 Offset: 00015832

That's from the most recent crash, when it was just sitting idle as I did other things.

Weird.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Unfortunately that crash report has no useful information
Old 03-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Of course not. It's from Microsoft.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

One way to try and get more debug information is to start calibre as

Code:
calibre-debug -g
in a command prompt
Old 03-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #15
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Started. Now awaiting the next crash, which is probably dependent upon the phase of the moon, the price of tea in China, and next week's winning lottery numbers.