Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
poliorcetes
poliorcetes began at the beginning.

Device: Qtek 9100
Reflow PDFs in T68

Hi people,

I have tried to reflow PDFs on T68's own reader but for no avail. The most impressive thing is that if T68 go off and I resume my reading, PDFs appears magically reflowed and much more legible

Do you know were the option is hidden OR what arcane gesture I have to do in order to reflow PDF?

If it is not possible, what PDF reader do you recommend for reflowing PDFs?

Thanks in advance. I'm becoming crazy searching for it
poliorcetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:15 AM   #2
smayonak
Enthusiast
smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox i86+
It's my understanding that pretty much all PDF readers offer reflow capabilities. Have you tried EZPDF yet? It's regarded as the best PDF reader for Android.
smayonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
poliorcetes
poliorcetes began at the beginning.

Device: Qtek 9100
Thanks, I'm going to test it ASAP

Anyhow, what confuses me is how to activate reflow / text view on T68 native reader client
poliorcetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #4
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
On M96, using the native ereader, if you change the font size (menu button top right -> font -> increase/decrease), the text re-flow automatically occurs, provided the pdf file contains text.

If the pdf file is a scanned copy of a book, then you're out of luck. In that case, either you need to do some extreme cropping (to delete out page numbers, header, footer, all possible whitespace etc) in something like briss, or you can try something like k2pdfopt (the results may not be to everyone's liking though) to try to extract text from the scan.

I'm hope the same should be possible on it smaller sibling, the T68.
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by japinder View Post
On M96, using the native ereader, if you change the font size (menu button top right -> font -> increase/decrease), the text re-flow automatically occurs, provided the pdf file contains text.

If the pdf file is a scanned copy of a book, then you're out of luck. In that case, either you need to do some extreme cropping (to delete out page numbers, header, footer, all possible whitespace etc) in something like briss, or you can try something like k2pdfopt (the results may not be to everyone's liking though) to try to extract text from the scan.

I'm hope the same should be possible on it smaller sibling, the T68.
I guess, after OCR-ing a scanned pdf (even as exact pdf image i.e. OCR layer in the background), any better e-reader there should be able to reflow it, but showing only reflowed OCR layer, not reflowed front image itself and pictures.

After OCR-ing we can also use highlighting, search, dictionary etc. so it's always good idea to do it.

If we've been reading scientific pdfs though and cannot allow a single OCR error, then we can reflow pdf image itself, using k2pdfopt, that not only reflows front image itself but our e-reader should also flip through such reflowed pdf faster (than using its own reflow mode or apps) and all the pictures and tables shall also stay there visible.

Since t68 is about 5.43" wide (13.8 cm) (1440 @ 265 dpi) in landscape, there is usually no need to use k2pdfopt's reflow mode for A5 books or those smaller than A4/letter size, but just its fitwidth mode in landscape instead (i.e. zoomed text without margins, 2-3 screens per page).

Last edited by markom; 09-11-2014 at 07:51 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
I guess, after OCR-ing a scanned pdf (even as exact pdf image i.e. OCR layer in the background), any better e-reader there should be able to reflow it, but showing only reflowed OCR layer, not reflowed front image itself and pictures.

After OCR-ing we can also use highlighting, search, dictionary etc. so it's always good idea to do it.

If we've been reading scientific pdfs though and cannot allow a single OCR error, then we can reflow pdf image itself, using k2pdfopt, that not only reflows front image itself but our e-reader should also flip through such reflowed pdf faster (than using its own reflow mode or apps) and all the pictures and tables shall also stay there visible.

Since t68 is about 5.43" wide (13.8 cm) (1440 @ 265 dpi) in landscape, there is usually no need to use k2pdfopt's reflow mode for A5 books or those smaller than A4/letter size, but just its fitwidth mode in landscape instead (i.e. zoomed text without margins, 2-3 screens per page).
OCR'ing does help, I admit, but with a less than perfect scan, the end result can be unpleasant to the eye, taxing on the brain to comprehend/adjust to.

I recently tried to reflow a PDF with colored background patterns using k2pdfopt. Since the background wasn't white, the end result looked almost like copy pasted strips of words with grey background pasted on a white sheet of paper.

Don't get me started on how k2pdfopt shred the images/tables into pieces on another PDF , although with proper black text on white Background. Calibre did a good job in this case, properly reflowing text, while keeping images/tables intact.

I'm all praise for k2pdfopt, at least it gives us a choice, but it too has its limitations.

Of course, all this is for A4 or comparable size documents. No need to modify A5 size or smaller documents for my M96.

Last edited by japinder; 09-15-2014 at 09:57 AM.
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by japinder View Post

Of course, all this is for A4 or comparable size documents. No need to modify A5 size or smaller documents for my M96.
I never reflow A4/letter sized pdf (one-column or multi-column) for Kindle DX, because in KPV reader besides its reflow mode there is fit-to-content-width mode (zoomed without margins, in landscape) for ocr-ed scans and two-point crop for scans without ocr layer (rotated in landscape too).

That way letters are slightly bigger than with original on paper.

Since M92 & M96 are similar screen wise but better hardware & software wise there should not be a lot of reasons for reflowing A4 pdfs either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poliorcetes View Post
Hi people,

If it is not possible, what PDF reader do you recommend for reflowing PDFs?

Thanks in advance. I'm becoming crazy searching for it
Duokan for Android maybe, they say it also reflows scanned pdfs.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...61#post2923561

Last edited by markom; 09-15-2014 at 02:35 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote