Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #391
grant.ben08
grant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
grant.ben08 the screensaver has to be png format, and depending on your device one of two different sizes, for the touch it's 600x800 and for the paperwhite it's 758x102 this is explained in the Opening Post. You would have seen it if you'd read the instructions.
Thank you for the help and also for the attitude. Probably could have done without it though. I assumed that once I read down to the part that said I was done, I was done, so please excuse me.

To change the book cover to a .png should I just change it in Calibre? I don't see where I can access the covers by opening the Kindle through Windows Explorer.

Last edited by grant.ben08; 01-31-2013 at 11:30 AM.
grant.ben08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #392
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
The attitude is there because a simple search would have told you the answer, plus it is in the OP. Repeating the same answer to the same question does get a tad annoying. I could quite easily have just told you where to look, or even just ignored the question.

No, calibre is not an image editor. If you open it in MSPaint you should then be able to save as a .PNG file. N.B. it also has to have the correct name, also in the OP, which is dependant on the kindle in question.
Else you could add the copy cover to kindle plugin to Calibre made by Jackie_w to do the whole process for you on multiple covers at once.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #393
kaswistry
kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
My Kindle touch is on 5.3.2 and I followed the instructions to the T. While it installed correctly - ALL OF IT - and I put in the screensavers in PNG format with the correct 600x800 resolution (I doubled checked), all I get is a frozen library.

I mean, when I press the power button for the screensaver to come up, what's seen on the screen is a FROZEN version of my library. It's using my library as the screensaver.

Any ideas?

Appreciate the help in advance and I thank everyone who has made this possible
kaswistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #394
grant.ben08
grant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
N.B. it also has to have the correct name, also in the OP, which is dependent on the kindle in question.
Else you could add the copy cover to kindle plugin to Calibre made by Jackie_w to do the whole process for you on multiple covers at once.
I apologize if these are redundant questions but 1) you said they files have to be the correct name, what is that and 2) what is the name of the Calibre plug-in?
You say that it depends on the device - I have a Paperwhite.

I appreciate the help.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #395
grant.ben08

I just tried to add custom screen saver pictures and they aren't showing up. I made .png copies of them and adjusted them to as close as possible to the dimensions listed. I put them in the screensavers folder but I still get the hack successfully installed page. I have read over the instructions a few times and I don't see what I'm doing wrong.
I was trying the book cover mode but I deleted the "cover" file to make sure that wasn't causing any issues.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #396
grant.ben08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaswistry View Post
My Kindle touch is on 5.3.2 and I followed the instructions to the T. While it installed correctly - ALL OF IT - and I put in the screensavers in PNG format with the correct 600x800 resolution (I doubled checked), all I get is a frozen library.

I mean, when I press the power button for the screensaver to come up, what's seen on the screen is a FROZEN version of my library. It's using my library as the screensaver.

Any ideas?

Appreciate the help in advance and I thank everyone who has made this possible
I am having the same problem.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #397
kaswistry
kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I managed to solve my problem. I was ready to give-up when I remembered that prior to this, I was trying YifanLu's screensaver hack and installed that one. I didn't remember uninstalling it so I did and what do you know, it worked. So I now have my stock screensaver back. I'm going to try the custom screensavers and see if it works now.

So yeah, if it freezes on the last thing you were viewing (be it a page of the book or the library), ask yourself if you installed other packages.

Last edited by kaswistry; 01-31-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #398
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant.ben08 View Post
... what is the name of the Calibre plug-in?...
This is the main thread for my Calibre Copy Cover plugin.

It won't help you apply all the Kindle hacks you need but it will send copies of your selected Calibre covers to the correct Kindle directory with the correct filenames, size & format so that the Kindle screensaver hack can use them.

Its main use is if you want to use a selection of Calibre covers as your screensavers, i.e. not when you want to use cover of latest read book.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #399
grant.ben08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This is the main thread for my Calibre Copy Cover plugin.

It won't help you apply all the Kindle hacks you need but it will send copies of your selected Calibre covers to the correct Kindle directory with the correct filenames, size & format so that the Kindle screensaver hack can use them.

Its main use is if you want to use a selection of Calibre covers as your screensavers, i.e. not when you want to use cover of latest read book.
Awesome, thank you. I'll get on this as soon as I get home. Just having the cover displayed at random will be fine with me.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #400
kuoirad
kuoirad began at the beginning.

Quote:
I managed to solve my problem. I was ready to give-up when I remembered that prior to this, I was trying YifanLu's screensaver hack and installed that one. I didn't remember uninstalling it so I did and what do you know, it worked. So I now have my stock screensaver back. I'm going to try the custom screensavers and see if it works now.

So yeah, if it freezes on the last thing you were viewing (be it a page of the book or the library), ask yourself if you installed other packages.
At least in my case, I haven't tried YifanLu's hack on my PW. Used to use it on my Kindle Keyboard.
kuoirad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #401
grant.ben08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I got his working and I am very happy with it so thanks to Jackie_W for that super sweet plug-in.
Now that I have that up and running how can I get it to show the cover. I added the black cover file to the directory but it didn't change anything. If I can't get it then I will just stick with what I have but it would be great if I could get the other mode working.

edit: I din't change anything but after plugging the device back into the computer and ejecting it, it started showing the current book cover.
So thanks to everybody for their help.

Last edited by grant.ben08; 01-31-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #402
kuoirad
kuoirad began at the beginning.

So, I think I fixed it.

Uninstalled the hack, then deleted the linkss folder. Rebooted.
Installed the hack, it didn't error out, but then didn't seem to work.
Installed it again over the top, and it worked with the default screensaver.
Put the PW to sleep and woke it up a bunch of times. Continued to work.
Put in my custom graphic and it is continuing to work.

Not sure what happened or what was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
And now, to ask for help with the problem I just turned up.

As described in the post above, I got automatically upgraded to 5.3.3, and lost my screensaver (I only have one). After getting impatient, downgrading back to 5.3.1, re-jailbreaking, etc, etc, etc, I got my screensaver working again.

However, it only works once. After that, the screen just locks on the page I'm reading. I can get it back for one iteration by touching a reboot file in the linkss folder.

Doing some reading through the thread, it appears I may have a bad png? It's odd, because it's unchanged from the one that worked perfectly before the upgrade to 5.3.3.

Help? I'd be happy to post the png file I'm using.
kuoirad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #403
ext233
Enthusiast
ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ext233 View Post
i have a japanese PW that automatically updated itself to 5.3.3, and now my custom screensavers aren't showing up anymore! i'm not even sure if the jailbreak itself survived or not.

i tried flashing the two latest .bin files from the first post and got error messages with both of them.

my custom screensaver files are definitely still on the device, though. what should i do?
tried flashing again and this time they worked and the screensavers hack was reincarnated. didn't have to reload my images either.

thanks all!
ext233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #404
kaswistry

Is anyone experiencing the same problems as I do?

Sometimes, when you press the power button, the screen either refreshes or does nothing. No Screensaver. Often, I just restart and it takes 2 device restarts before things work again.

I'm not sure why it's happening. Anyway, I've reduced the number of images to only a handful to isolate the issue and see if some images are causing ut but it could also be an existing issue that I do not know of.

Also, just a question: Does anyone have the stock screensavers? I like some of them and would love to have them on my device with my other, custom screensavers.

Thank you
Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #405
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Also, just a question: Does anyone have the stock screensavers? I like some of them and would love to have them on my device with my other, custom screensavers.

Thank you
The stock screensavers are not deleted by this hack - they are still on your PW...I forget which folder they are in, but if you connect via usb and look in the folders you will find them.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch