Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #421
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Apple embraces modernist design principles which state that form is inseparable from function.
Seems a bit rich to sue Samsung over form then.

Graham
Old 09-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #422
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Apple embraces modernist design principles which state that form is inseparable from function.
Quote:
What likely happened is that Apple decided they really wanted the new form factor. Lighter and thinner took priority over everything else, including upgraded camera optics and, it seems, a dual antenna.
Which one is it? Form and function and inseparable, or they sacrificed function over form? You are contradicting yourself.
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #423
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Apple embraces modernist design principles which state that form is inseparable from function. Read a book about Walter Gropius or Mies van der Rohe. It is no coincidence that Jony Ive's greatest influence is Dieter Rams.
You seem to be assuming that the modernist design principle is the only valid one? Many would disagree.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #424
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Which one is it? Form and function and inseparable, or they sacrificed function over form? You are contradicting yourself.
No contradiction, just the recognition that no design can have everything.

A car is designed to get you from point A to point B, not cook you breakfast and do your laundry. You wouldn't accuse BMW of sacrificing function over form because their latest model doesn't make sausage and eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
You seem to be assuming that the modernist design principle is the only valid one? Many would disagree.
Why would I assume that? In architecture, in particular, I detest modernism. I am just explaining why Apple makes the decisions, choices, and sacrifices they make.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #425
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I do think Apple sacrificed function for form. They should have made the iPhone 5 wider. NFC would have been a good addition. An even better battery and upgrade the camera. Add the third antenna and that would do pretty well.
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #426
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do think Apple sacrificed function for form. They should have made the iPhone 5 wider. NFC would have been a good addition. An even better battery and upgrade the camera. Add the third antenna and that would do pretty well.
Apple makes the iPhone thinner and lighter at the expense of a better camera and third antenna = sacrificing function for form.

Apple makes the iPhone heavier and thicker in order to include a better camera and third antenna = also sacrificing function for... function?

Clearly, this is the wrong way to approach the issue. Form is function. Weight and size are functions of an industrial product. Like it or not. You can prioritize different aspects of design but you can't have your cake and eat it, too.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #427
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No contradiction, just the recognition that no design can have everything.

A car is designed to get you from point A to point B, not cook you breakfast and do your laundry. You wouldn't accuse BMW of sacrificing function over form because their latest model doesn't make sausage and eggs.

Why would I assume that? In architecture, in particular, I detest modernism. I am just explaining why Apple makes the decisions, choices, and sacrifices they make.
Apple should have come out with a new iPhone that would have been upgrade worthy from the iPhone 4s. But they didn't. Apple came out with minor incremental updates that aren't worth upgrading from a 4 or 4s. That's the problem. Apple's update is so-so. Sure it's better, but it's not better enough. I'm upgrading because my iPhone is old, slow, and doesn't run well. But would I wan to upgrade from a 4 or 4s? Nope. Not at all. Not worth the money. If Apple doesn't do any real innovating on the next iPhone, it still won't be worth upgrading. There is nothing innovative in the iPhone 5. It's just an iPhone 4s with a .5" taller screen, slightly better battery, updated processor and different connector. As long as Apple was going to be changing the connector, they should have made the screen wider since it doesn't matter if it's form fitting to the same devices as the 4s. It won't work. If you've invested some good $$$ on accessory devices, you'll have to buy new ones if new ones come out. This is Apple screwing customers.

Basically, if I was looking for a smartphone and didn't already have an iPad and didn't have the 3G, I'd be going Android. Apple really dropped the ball here. The iPhone 5 is nothing special. The presentation was lackluster as well. Apple is losing focus on reality.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-14-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #428
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Apple should have come out with a new iPhone that would have been upgrade worthy from the iPhone 4s. But they didn't. Apple came out with minor incremental updates that aren't worth upgrading from a 4 or 4s. That's the problem. Apple's update is so-so. Sure it's better, but it's not better enough. I'm upgrading because my iPhone is old, slow, and doesn't run well. But would I wan to upgrade from a 4 or 4s? Nope. Not at all. Not worth the money. If Apple doesn't do any real innovating on the next iPhone, it still won't be worth upgrading.
Yes, we have heard your opinion on the matter. You were wrong before and you are wrong now. I see no reason why any company needs to give its customers compelling reason to abandon their products after one year and upgrade to new ones. That sort of product cycle seems perverse to me.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #429
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apple makes the iPhone thinner and lighter at the expense of a better camera and third antenna = sacrificing function for form.

Apple makes the iPhone heavier and thicker in order to include a better camera and third antenna = also sacrificing function for... function?

Clearly, this is the wrong way to approach the issue. Form is function. Weight and size are functions of an industrial product. Like it or not. You can prioritize different aspects of design but you can't have your cake and eat it, too.
Form and function are different things. That's why there are different words, with different meanings, for them. I think pretty much everybody understands what is being said when it's stated that Apple sacrifice function for form and no amount of buzzword BS ("form is function") will change that.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #430
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Form and function are different things. That's why there are different words, with different meanings, for them. I think pretty much everybody understands what is being said when it's stated that Apple sacrifice function for form and no amount of buzzword BS ("form is function") will change that.
In that case, why not make it three feet long and weigh ten pounds? You can probably fit about 18 different antennae and NFC chips in there. I'm sure you'd be delighted with the result.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #431
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
you can't have your cake and eat it, too.
yes you can. I have, in fact, a piece of pound cake in hand right now that i am eating too.

however you can not eat your cake and still have it too
Old 09-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #432
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
In that case, why not make it three feet long and weigh ten pounds? You can probably fit about 18 different antennae and NFC chips in there. I'm sure you'd be delighted with the result.
I didn't think you'd have a real answer for that. And you didn't disappoint.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #433
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, we have heard your opinion on the matter. You were wrong before and you are wrong now. I see no reason why any company needs to give its customers compelling reason to abandon their products after one year and upgrade to new ones. That sort of product cycle seems perverse to me.
You bring out a new product worthy of upgrade from the previous model and you can capture new customers. You come out with the iPhone 5 and new customers go elsewhere.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #434
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
And a phone is designed to make calls and give you access to the internet. Simultaneously if the technology allows it (which Samsung proves it does). I'm not asking for the phone to cook my breakfast, simply to work as a modern phone is supposed to.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #435
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
I didn't think you'd have a real answer for that. And you didn't disappoint.
Could you please state, for posterity, that you think form is entirely separate from function?
Closed Thread