Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
tsmiller1
tsmiller1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Question about syncing

Greetings,

First time post. I have a question about syncing. I am enjoying my new Kindle Fire, and I also downloaded the Kindle app to my iPhone (running the new iOS5). I was hoping that if I converted my ebooks to .mobi format (using Calibre), I could sync, because it would be so nice to be to use either device for reading and be able to easily pick up where I left off reading when switching devices. I haven't gotten it to work, however, is it just not possible? Most of my ebooks are NOT from the Amazon store.

If it is not possible, I would like to go back to using Stanza on my iPhone, since I like that app better than the Kindle app. I was only using the Kindle app if I could get syncing to work. Also, I could save a lot of time by not having to convert my .epub's (which is most of my books) to the .mobi format.

Also, is Stanza available on the Kindle Fire? Thanks for all your help.
tsmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
tsmiller1
tsmiller1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Anyone?
tsmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmiller1 View Post
Greetings,

First time post. I have a question about syncing. I am enjoying my new Kindle Fire, and I also downloaded the Kindle app to my iPhone (running the new iOS5). I was hoping that if I converted my ebooks to .mobi format (using Calibre), I could sync, because it would be so nice to be to use either device for reading and be able to easily pick up where I left off reading when switching devices. I haven't gotten it to work, however, is it just not possible? Most of my ebooks are NOT from the Amazon store.

If it is not possible, I would like to go back to using Stanza on my iPhone, since I like that app better than the Kindle app. I was only using the Kindle app if I could get syncing to work. Also, I could save a lot of time by not having to convert my .epub's (which is most of my books) to the .mobi format.

Also, is Stanza available on the Kindle Fire? Thanks for all your help.
Sync a non amazon book can be done but it takes some work in Calibre. First you have to make sure to remove the [PDOC] tag and replace it with [EBOK] This will be in Mobi Output in the conversation window.

Then you need to do a mobi to mobi conversation. Take the mobi file and put it on both devices. It should sync now at least to the latest page read.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote