Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think it's that so much as the fact they're now using a better MobiPocket creation tool.

Baen are much the same; their older Mobi books with a ".prc" extension are rather primitive and lack navigation links, etc. Their more modern Mobi books (with a ".mobi" extension) have proper cover images, working nav links, etc.
There may be another difference. In Palm based products there is typically a limit to images of 64K bytes and in MobiPocket devices that are not running on Palms the images can be larger. The limit of 64K may no longer be true of Palm's either but was true in the recent past.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #17
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There may be another difference. In Palm based products there is typically a limit to images of 64K bytes and in MobiPocket devices that are not running on Palms the images can be larger. The limit of 64K may no longer be true of Palm's either but was true in the recent past.
But the documentation for the MobiPocket format still says 64K (actually it says 61K or something like that). The Kindle format that is not strictly MobiPocket format does not have to follow this.

My Palm T5 has the limit at least.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #18
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale

It's pretty easy to make all the images less than 64kb. That shouldn't be a problem. But it seems Palm devices also have a limit on total file size, so that if a file had a lot of images, it could be too large for a Palm device. (This according to error messages I've gotten from mobi creator.)

Assuming there is a good reason for having two versions, dare I say . . . it'd be nice to have an explanation of the difference and why someone would choose one over the other.

edit:
Maybe I'm not being as clear as I think I am. I am not asking an explanation from anyone here. I'm just stating an opinion that it would be good if fictionwise explained the difference in the two prc files they offer, and the three pdb files they offer, and explained in what situations a person would choose which. I wrote and asked the difference between the two prc file types. They didn't write back, yet.

Last edited by cmbs; 04-11-2008 at 08:17 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #19
lee1234
Enthusiast
lee1234 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader, Nokia E61
I guess that I will be buying ebooks from Fictionwise now
lee1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, fictionwise, multiformat