Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
belden
Enthusiast
belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 (US)
More Hyphenation After 1.2 Update?

I updated the Nook Color to 1.2 yesterday and noticed that there seems to be much more hyphenation (words being split at the right edge of the page going onto the next line) than there was before. Maybe it was always there and I had never noticed it, but it's driving me crazy. I run all of my EPUBs through Calibre, even store bought ones, in order to standardize font sizes across all of my books, could this have anything to do with this? Is there a setting within Calibre that controls hyphenation or something similar or is this more likely the reader app itself on the NC and some new value causing it?

EDIT: Just as a test, I downloaded one of my archived books and read it without any conversion. The hyphenation is just as bad, if not worse. On average there are between 5-7 words being split on each screen.

Last edited by belden; 04-26-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Additional Observation
belden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
The epub reader on the color nook allows a fair amount of control over the font and also the margims on the screen. Maybe the update made it revert to some default you don't like. Maybe you should set it to "publisher's default" and see if that helps.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
belden
Enthusiast
belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you for the suggestion but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the problem. I tried both books that I've converted from other sources, B&N books that I've converted, and the same books from B&N with absolutely nothing touched with publisher defaults both on and off.

I've had the NC since it was released and have been through all of the settings many times and I had never noticed or had any issue with hyphenation. There doesn't seem to be any option on the NC to adjust justification, this could have something to do with it.

As an example, I attached a screenshot from a book I bought from B&N with the publisher defaults set to on, so this is exactly the way it is meant to look with no fonts or margins adjusted. What I'd really like to know is if anyone else is seeing the same thing after the 1.2 update or it was always like this and I never noticed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-04-26-1.png
Views:	792
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	70554  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:31 AM   #4
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
That doesn't seem like alot of hyphenation....I didn't really notice it.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That doesn't seem like a very good example of extreme hyphenation, at least to me. I only count 4 on the entire page.

One thing I do notice about it is that it is blocked left and right - i.e. each line is spread out over the entire area with an even right margin. On epub files you yourself have control over, you may be able to specify how that operates somewhere in the epub file (probably in the .css style file). I think it is hard to decide which kind of blocking causes more hyphenation.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I agree with RAH. Somewhere in the settings it is set up for FULL justification. I would find that and turn that off. Having it set for Left justification should fix that situation. I also do not like a lot of hyphenation, but having it set to Full requires the document to use every inch of space to the right margin. Usually though, because of that there would be extra spaces on some lines so that it will stretch all the way to the right margin. I am not seeing that in your screenshot.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Usually though, because of that there would be extra spaces on some lines so that it will stretch all the way to the right margin. I am not seeing that in your screenshot.
Yes, I agree it is odd that this stretching out of the text, with some spacing between words to make the right even, doesn't appear anywhere.

When full justification (thanks for supplying the correct technical term!) uses these extra spaces, it usually does not cause extra hyphenation, which is why I said it is hard for me to decide which causes more hyphenation. But with it packed in like his screenshot shows, that does seem like it would cause more, although his example doesn't show much.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
1.2 included an update to RMSDK 9.2 which improves the typography by including (among a lot of other things) a hyphenation engine. If for your epubs you don't want the hyphenation engine (and the better typography, etc...), you can force RMSDK 9.2 to use the 'old' 9.1 text engine by adding adding the css attribute 'adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;' to a body selector ie
Code:
body {
    ... other attributes ...
   adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;
}
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
1.2 included an update to RMSDK 9.2 which improves the typography by including (among a lot of other things) a hyphenation engine. If for your epubs you don't want the hyphenation engine (and the better typography, etc...), you can force RMSDK 9.2 to use the 'old' 9.1 text engine by adding adding the css attribute 'adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;' to a body selector ie
Code:
body {
    ... other attributes ...
}
How do you get to that attribute?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
belden
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Code:
body {
    ... other attributes ...
}
THANK YOU! I added that line to the EPUB file I was testing above and the hyphenation is back to exactly how I remember it before, i.e. none.

To those people commenting on the example I used and saying that it doesn't seem like a lot, you are right, but what I meant was that the books were going from having absolute no words being hyphenated on each page to 5-7 words on each page which in my eyes was a lot. I just personally find it distracting and wasn't happy with the fact that it suddenly appeared in the 1.2 update.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
belden
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
How do you get to that attribute?
I added it to the stylesheet.css and I tried it with both "body" and ".body" because there was no body attribute when I went to add it. I don't know if this is correct or not, but it worked for me.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Of course the other way to handle reduce the hyphenation would be to use left justification instead of full justification (this will cause a ragged right edge). ie add 'text-align: left;' to an appropriate set of selectors. This will however require you to turn 'Publisher Defaults' on for the book on your NC, since the BN custom style sheet adds in 'text-align: justify', and has a higher priority than the document css settings.

(EDIT: I notice that this is what Jerseyman first suggested (post 6) )

Quote:
I just personally find it distracting and wasn't happy with [it]...
Hmmm different strokes for different folks, I guess. When dealing with full justification, you are the first person I've heard of that prefers playing with the interword/intercharacter spacing over hyphenation. (In c r eas e d spa c in g dri ves me batty )

Last edited by Jim Lester; 04-27-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #13
drv
Enthusiast
drv doesn't litterdrv doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
I don't really know if there is more hyphenation but I did notice that I cannot highlight a hyphenated word (either the first part at the end of the line or the second part at the start of a new line) to be able to use the dictionary, etc. I wondered if it was due to screen sensitivity being less near the frame but other, non-hyphenated words at the end of lines work fine. I don't know if this was a problem with 1.1 but it is definitely a problem with 1.2. Perhaps running the files through Calibre to remove hyphenation would be worth it. Seems like a lot of work, though.

I do wish there was a better epub reader.
drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by drv View Post
I don't really know if there is more hyphenation but I did notice that I cannot highlight a hyphenated word
Try changing the font size (or switch to landscape). This will often change which words are at the end of a line.

The hyphenation is almost certainly generated on the fly, it isn't embedded in the ebook text, so Calibre won't help.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The hyphenation is almost certainly generated on the fly, it isn't embedded in the ebook text, so Calibre won't help.
I agree. You can prove it to yourself by just opening the epub in another application, like for example the Firefox ereader or even Calibre's viewer.