Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Collections on the Sony Readers

I'm considering getting a Sony reader, mostly looking at the PRS-600 and was wondering if someone could explain the collections function on the Sony readers.

As I understand it, they will create groups of books filtering out all others not in the collection.

Does it create folders on the device and moves the books there, or would you class them as "virtual folders" and only tags them as being part of the collection?

The reason I would like to know is that I've got several series of books that are not all by the same author (e.g. Halo, AvP, Warhammer, Star Wars books, etc) and I'd like to have collections by author and by series. If the collections are virtual, then I will not need to duplicate books on the device so as to create the collection correctly.

Any help would be most appreciated.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I'm considering getting a Sony reader, mostly looking at the PRS-600 and was wondering if someone could explain the collections function on the Sony readers.

As I understand it, they will create groups of books filtering out all others not in the collection.

Does it create folders on the device and moves the books there, or would you class them as "virtual folders" and only tags them as being part of the collection?

The reason I would like to know is that I've got several series of books that are not all by the same author (e.g. Halo, AvP, Warhammer, Star Wars books, etc) and I'd like to have collections by author and by series. If the collections are virtual, then I will not need to duplicate books on the device so as to create the collection correctly.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Using the eBook Library, the collections are virtual. Only one physical copy of the book is kept and can be linked to any number of collections.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It's been a while since I had my Sony, but as I recall it would involve one copy of the book on the device.

So you could have for example Heir to the Empire under both a Star Wars collection and under a Timothy Zahn collection and also under the main author & title sorts and there would be one copy on the reader pointed to both collections.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fantastic!

This is helpful as general folder support that you can get on other readers doesn't seem to be able to do this and I was hoping that if these are virtual folders then I should be able to get these series displayed in the same place and still be able to view all books by the same author.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
If you use Calibre for your library you can add tags to your books and Sony will read those as collections.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
If you use Calibre for your library you can add tags to your books and Sony will read those as collections.
Yes, any book that has a tag attached to it in Calibre will automatically create a Collection when you copy it to the Reader. If you make multiple tags for a single book it will make multiple collections on the Reader and show that one book as part of all of the collections.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
ghostyjack
Guru

This collections function is a lot more sophisticated than I thought. I'm really liking the sound of it as a means of organising my collection.

I think I'll be looking forward to purchasing a PRS-600.

Thanks Guys.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:41 AM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
It's like labels in Gmail, one entity can have several labels. Personally, I think it's better than sorting into folders.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:39 AM   #9
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
I've got about 230 books, in 18 collections. Each book in only in 1 collection (not being real fussy or anal here) I really like the feature (Use Calibre to add tags). Makes choosing so much easier!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:42 AM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I love Collections! I use the Sony Library and drag & drop books. I have a Collection for every genre (Mystery, Horror, etc) and one for Short Stories.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:45 AM   #11
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
It's like labels in Gmail, one entity can have several labels. Personally, I think it's better than sorting into folders.
I would agree, except that the Sony database thingie on the reader insists on rebuilding the database on every disconnect which with a lot of books can lead to immense delays.

I love the collections though, and use them extensively.

My ideal would be a hybrid system, allowing me to load a lot of books in folders AND use collections
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:46 AM   #12
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
I have a Collection for every genre (Mystery, Horror, etc) and one for Short Stories.
I use genre's as well..sometimes I know what KIND of story I want to read, the who is of lesser importance!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So it seems that collections can in some ways be more useful than folders. With collections, you can have any books you want in any collections you want without having to have multiple copies of the same books. But with folders, to do the same thing, you would have to have multiple copies of the same book and with multiple copies, they would not be synced up as to where you left off reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote