Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #36871
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
One of my favorite stories is when a friend of mine got his first hearing aids from the VA. When he walked outside to get to his car, he heard an alarming noise, like somebody was about to jump him. He stopped, it stopped. Rinse and repeat a few times, then he figured it out. It was the noise of his arms swishing against his coat as he walked. :-D
I can relate. On the afternoon when I first got mine, I thought the pipes had burst ... when I flushed the toilet... Scared the heck outta me!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #36872
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I had an on-line tutorial this morning with my audiologists in Indiana, teaching me about the newest software for programing my hearing aids. Now I'm sitting here with wires running out behind my ears, making little adjustments to make all the various frequencies and sounds sound perfectly normal. I never realized that my keyboard was so noisy!!!

Stitchawl
I recently got a pair of CICs. Good news: most people never realize I'm wearing them. Bad news: mealtimes now sound like Godzilla strolling through Tokyo.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #36873
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I recently got a pair of CICs. Good news: most people never realize I'm wearing them. Bad news: mealtimes now sound like Godzilla strolling through Tokyo.
Not hearing is no more embarrassing than not seeing and needing glasses or losing a leg and needing prosthetics. These are old prejudices that we carried over from our childhood. These days, hearing aid are being made in designer colors and creative designs. The only reason I'd opt to go back to an 'in the canal' model is that it's easier to put on a motorcycle helmet. Besides, everyone has 'something' stuck to their ears these days, be it an iPod, a telephone bluetooth, or if one is retro, a GhettoBlaster. Who really even notices? Perhaps for someone in show biz, or corporate life where a power tie and an Armani suit count more than ability, the old views may still take precedence. Me... I'm old and retired and don't give a damn what people think because I can't hear.

Because of the limited size of the 'in the ear' models, the aid is limited in its ability to deal with variables. I used to wear an 'in the canal' model, but changed to a 'behind the ear' setup when I discovered that there actually was a company that sold good ones for less than a thou... (Starkey and Beltone want $3,000-$4,000 for these! )
I have four different programs that I've set up with mine; one with an omnidirectional mic for general walking around use, one with a hyper-cardioid mic for conversations in very noisy environments, one with a super-cardioid mic for playing and listening to music, and one that shuts off when my wife tries to tell me to take out the trash. OK, actually that one is with a telecoil. I can change programs with a button press on the aid, as well as change the volume settings as desired. And, as my hearing changes, I can plug the aids into my computer and adjust the compression ratio or threshold, change the equalizer settings for 12 channels, and adjust the sound while I'm wearing them to make eating NOT sound like The War of The Worlds, and do it at my convenience, when ever I feel the need. No expensive appointments with the audiologist any more. The two hours I spent on the phone with the tech rep from the company is free when ever I need it, but his training was so clear that using the software to make my own adjustments is child's play! And it's done while I'm wearing them, tapping on glassware, rattling dishes, listening to symphony or speech, and even playing my guitar. If something doesn't sound 'natural,' I can change it in seconds rather than try to explain what the sound sounds like to someone else and hope they can fix it.

Stitchawl
Old 12-21-2013, 02:58 AM   #36874
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Mentally preparing for The Saturday Before Christmas. Which usually means it's very busy. My tactic this year is switch shoes half way through the day and see if my feet will hurt less at the end of the day.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #36875
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hoping Xmas passes quickly, it's an annoying period of the year where everyone else seems to be happy and enjoying themselves with their families. The sooner it is gone and everyone gets back to their everyday miserable lives, the faster I can feel better.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #36876
jamielood
jamielood began at the beginning.

Device: none
Surfing this forum aimlessly.
jamielood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #36877
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Attempting to operate my computer one-handed, whilst the little ones take a nap in my sleeve.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #36878
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Attempting to operate my computer one-handed, whilst the little ones take a nap in my sleeve.
I operate my computer in a similar fashion - with one hand patting/holding a cat off the keyboard ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #36879
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Once you get used to it, it comes naturally. I've been using computers one handed forever. Middle and index finger for typing, pinkie for the shift key, and I just let my hand walk the keyboard without looking at it.

And then floating down to the trackpad with my thumb and index finger. Going back and forth on the desktop with a mouse is pretty effortless too.

People enjoy watching me too because I do like 250 WPM without a single error most of the time. They think it's crazy considering they can barely type like that with two hands.

I've had nerve damage in my other hand all my life.

----

Just listening to some music right now. Been restoring my hard drive since Friday night as I accidentally reformatted my entire computer.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #36880
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Contemplating bed at 2145hrs as I'm visiting and my aunt.. is long asleep and that's what one does when visiting.

It's all good, it's been a huge mental and soul restorative. I've actually laughed a few times.

Anyway, I have my kindle to cuddle
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #36881
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
......Anyway, I have my kindle to cuddle
That's the trouble with these modern times. Were we still in the Middle Ages, you'd be cuddling with a Page...

After a good hike, I'm eating popcorn, drinking tea, and putting off the ironing that I wouldn't have had to do if Thailand had the weather it was supposed to have!

Stitchawl
Old 12-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #36882
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Finally sitting down after an insane grocery shopping trip, helping mom sort and wrap gifts, and doing the prep work for a dinner tomorrow. I still haven't figured out a dessert yet and still have to do laundry and clean. "Tomorrow is another day" really is a great saying.

Now for a quiet cup of coffee, stare at the TV for a bit, then to bed.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #36883
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Sitting down for a cup of Rooibos after packing away the ginormous Tesco order my wife placed online yesterday. Took her about 4 times what it would have taken us to actually go round the shop, but at least we avoided the crowds .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #36884
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Sitting down to a cup of green tea and wondering how everyone is as we approach Christmas ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #36885
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Water.watching Little Man play. Wondering where we are putting all the new toys
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?