Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
New display comparison

This is a comparison between the iPad 1 and iPad 3 displays, using the PressReader app. This app has not received a 'retina' update, the improvement are purely system-driven, without the app writers having taken any action.
(With all of these comparisons, you can see some improvement at the image zoom the board software defaults to, but you need to zoom in further to get the full measure of the iPad3 improvements.) (Unless you are using a 264ppi display!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad1-WashPost.PNG
Views:	291
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	84025   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad3-WashPost.PNG
Views:	291
Size:	516.8 KB
ID:	84026  

Last edited by murraypaul; 03-16-2012 at 11:14 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Next comparison is with the Kindle app, which has been updated for the retina display.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iPad1-Kindle.PNG
Views:	289
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	84027   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad3-Kindle.PNG
Views:	270
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	84028  
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

And next is with the build-in Maps app.
The iPad3 file was too large to be attached to a forum post, so I have cropped just the top-left portion, the entire image was of the same map portion as the iPad1 file. I've included a JPG of the entire iPad3 image at the highest quality that fits within the filesize limits.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iPad1-Map.PNG
Views:	150
Size:	846.9 KB
ID:	84029   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad3-MapCrop.png
Views:	151
Size:	713.0 KB
ID:	84031   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad3-Map.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	974.2 KB
ID:	84032  
Old 03-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Last one for now. This is the Zinio app, viewing a National Geographic magazine. This is another one where the app has not been updated for the retina display.
I've had the crop the iPad3 image again, this time a centre crop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iPad1-Zinio.PNG
Views:	195
Size:	579.4 KB
ID:	84033   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad3-ZinioCrop.png
Views:	170
Size:	1,020.1 KB
ID:	84034  
Old 03-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
They look the same on my (ipad2) screen. What's the big deal?
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I can tell a huge difference in person.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Just using the browser, the screen is much crisper.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Paul @ TeleRead put up some shots from under his microscope...

http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/i-...-a-microscope/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Some of these examples are just text such as PressReader. There is no need to update the application for displaying text. you will get all of the improvement automatically since the system renders the fonts, not the app. Clearly images will be effected by the resolution and will require updated apps.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

One change I wasn't expecting is to the range of the brightness slider. It is slightly brighter at the top end, and significantly darker at the bottom end, which should help a lot with using it at night.
I'm coming from an iPad 1, so I don't know if this had already changed with the iPad 2.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah I noticed that too. I had to turn the brightness down quite a bit also.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
Yeah, these online pics, unless they are macro pics, are pretty much useless. The different in real life is night and day! I'm almost giddy with joy while looking at my new iPad I keep getting my iPad 2 just to do comparisons!
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
The new iPad screen is pretty amazing. I sat and read about an hour and its going to be tough going back to the Nook Color or any other LCD screen. I'm not even sure I want to use my eink over this unless I'm sitting in direct sunlight. That was just iBooks. I will have to give the Kindle app a spin and see how it looks.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
The new iPad screen is pretty amazing. <snip> I'm not even sure I want to use my eink over this unless I'm sitting in direct sunlight.
I'd have no trouble over this. I've already used the iPhone 4/4S and I have no issues switching from that to a Sony PRS-350 (5", 600x800) and an iRiver Story HD (6", 768x1024), both of which sport relatively high pixel densities compared to other e-ink readers. Text on the iPhone 4 is definitely clearer but the difference between that and the PRS-350 isn't staggering.

Besides, after 30 minutes using the iPad, I'm sure my arm would be protesting.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
monkeyluis
Banned

The books in the kindle app look sharp. I was looking at the iPad 2 next to it & what a difference. iBooks books are still downloading, so I haven't looked at them yet. But I'm sure they look great.