Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #106
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Sorry guys but it does look very nice. I added Georgia with some weight and it looks very nice on the PW.
So this brings to question has anyone hit a font limit yet? I thought it be 6 fonts but I am passed that. I sure don't want to mess my PW up. I've got 8 so far. Amasis, Charis SIL, Nokia Pure, Trebuchet, Garamond Pro, Georgia and Caecilia Condensed Bold and Segoe.
I only added CharisSil but somehow ended up having HYGothic, MYing Hei T, MT Chinese Surrogate, TB Gothicm HYMyeonJo, MKai PRC I have no idea where did all these Chinese like things come from...
I also downloaded the ones Xendula recommended - Adobe Caslon Pro, Minion Pro and Constantia - but I'll try them out tomorrow, enough restarting PW for the first day
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #107
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
I only added CharisSil but somehow ended up having HYGothic, MYing Hei T, MT Chinese Surrogate, TB Gothicm HYMyeonJo, MKai PRC I have no idea where did all these Chinese like things come from...
I also downloaded the ones Xendula recommended - Adobe Caslon Pro, Minion Pro and Constantia - but I'll try them out tomorrow, enough restarting PW for the first day
My poor PW goes through alot restarts in one day too. The other fonts were already on the Kindle. When you added the ALT Fonts blank file that enables them.

I'd love some screenshots of Adobe Caslon Pro, Minion Pro and Constantia on the Kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #108
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
My poor PW goes through alot restarts in one day too. The other fonts were already on the Kindle. When you added the ALT Fonts blank file that enables them.

I'd love some screenshots of Adobe Caslon Pro, Minion Pro and Constantia on the Kindle.
Good to know, you could say I was overwhelmed when I saw all those font names
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #109
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
I just jailbreaked my K4S temporarily to get the fonts. I have no intention of doing it on My Precious PW. I've already uninstall it and the font hack.

Truthfully Jailbreaking a K4 is easy but it doesn't do anything. It's just framework so to speak. There really isn't a reason to do it for the average Kindle user.
I jailbreaked my PW originally so I could do custom screensavers, in particular to have the cover of my currently reading book displayed. However, by doing the JBPatch also, I am able to customize font sizes, margins and have hyphenations. Of everything, hyphenations (while being such a simple thing) has turned out to be the thing I enjoy the most...It makes the reading on my PW far more natural. The Jailbreak, SS Hack, and the JBPatch are all very simple to do and take very little time and are NOT like USBnet with which you can easily brick things. My understanding is if you don't do the Jailbreak or SS Hack or JBPatch correctly, all that happens is that they don't work. Also, the people in the Developer's Corner are very helpful. If you find having your own fonts to be enjoyable, I think you're the type that would definitely enjoy the hyphenations.

Last edited by GoSharks; 01-15-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've been playing with the line spacing in the Modified Charis SIL fonts and I have made the spacing even tighter then the official Compact version. This looks pretty good in Mobi and KF8. It actually seems to fix the spacing issue with KF8. The font name is now called Charis SIL Compact in order to denote it being different. The filenames are the same as before. But that is something you can easily change if you want.

I'd like opinions on how you think this looks. The link is for the fonts including the smallcaps (for KF8).

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08

P.S. If you've downloaded the Charis SIL Compact from the SIL site, don't bother with them. You will find them not as good as the modied version linked above. The Modified version has a smaller line height and a greater weight.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-30-2013 at 02:37 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #111
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
My understanding is if you don't do the Jailbreak or SS Hack or JBPatch correctly, all that happens is that they don't work. Also, the people in the Developer's Corner are very helpful. If you find having your own fonts to be enjoyable, I think you're the type that would definitely enjoy the hyphenations.
Am I the only one who hates hyphenation in epubs? Drives me batty. I love the Kindle doesn't have this feature. The extra font sizes sound nice though but still my PW is too precious to play with. You never know what the next firmware update is going to do or be pushed out.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #112
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Help! I just got my paperwhite, and want to do the trick to add custom fonts to it, but when I try to go to the blog site where the instructions were given for the USE ALT FONTS trick was given, I get a note saying "this site may be for sale" - can someone give me the directions for adding that file, and the Charis SIL fonts?

thanks!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #113
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Help! I just got my paperwhite, and want to do the trick to add custom fonts to it, but when I try to go to the blog site where the instructions were given for the USE ALT FONTS trick was given, I get a note saying "this site may be for sale" - can someone give me the directions for adding that file, and the Charis SIL fonts?

thanks!
Try this post If you get stuck just holler!

Someone made the blank file if you don't know how see this post.

Fonts naming must looks like this (Arial being used as example)

Arial-Regular
Arial-Bold
Arial-Italic
Arial-BoldItalic

If you get stuck just holler!

Last edited by Blossom; 01-15-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #114
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is the USE_ALT_FONTS file put in the main directory, or in the fonts subdirectory?

I put Charis SIL and Charis SIL Compact in separate folders in the Font folder, and now I've got them listed twice on my fonts list - any ideas why?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #115
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Is the USE_ALT_FONTS file put in the main directory, or in the fonts subdirectory?

I put Charis SIL and Charis SIL Compact in separate folders in the Font folder, and now I've got them listed twice on my fonts list - any ideas why?
All fonts go in one folder called fonts

The blank file goes into the root of the Kindle drive.

Try removing subfolders. It should just be one folder. They seems to be linked correctly.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-15-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #116
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Thanks, Blossom, it works! Wheee! now to play with them, see which font I like best for reading. (I think Palatino is very graceful, but may be a bit light - I'll have to try the ever-popular Charis)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #117
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

thanks!
The standard Charis SIL fonts and the original modified Charis SIL fonts have a line spacing that's a bit larger on an eInk Kindle. The modified Charis SIL Compact I posted (in this thread) recently are much nicer on a Kindle. They even make KF8 look good (without excessive line space).

What to do is take the original modified Charis SIL and put them in the fonts directory. Then take the new Compact version and rename them like so...

CharisSILCompactR.ttf <--- Regular
CharisSILCompactI.ttf <--- Italic
CharisSILCompactB.ttf <--- Bold
CharisSILCompactBI.ttf <--- Bold Italic

Then put those in the fonts directory and you will have Charis SIL and Charis SIL Compact in your font menu after you reboot. Then you can decide which you prefer and delete the other or just keep both.

Did you get the Compact Charis SIL from http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08 or the ones from the SIL site? The ones from the SIL site sill have too much line spacing in KF8.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-30-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #118
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've been playing with the line spacing in the Modified Charis SIL fonts and I have made the spacing even tighter then the official Compact version. This looks pretty good in Mobi and KF8. It actually seems to fix the spacing issue with KF8. The font name is now called Charis SIL Compact in order to denote it being different. The filenames are the same as before. But that is something you can easily change if you want.

I'd like opinions on how you think this looks. The link is for the fonts including the smallcaps (for KF8).

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?juyp71v73btd77o
I can't tell a difference. Other then word spacing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_01_15T17_52_45-0501.png
Views:	439
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	99453   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_01_15T17_53_04-0501.png
Views:	450
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	99454  
Old 01-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #119
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I got it from your download site. It's a very nice font - looks good. I have to use a larger font size with it than I do with Palatino.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I can't tell a difference. Other then word spacing.
If you use them in KF8 eBooks, you will definitely notice a difference.

On a Kindle Touch, how does one take a screen shot? I'll post a screen shot if I can get one.