Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
A few questions about the new PRS 300

I am thinking of selling my Kindle 2 for the new Sony. I think readability trumps 3G functionality. At any rate, I have a few questions. First, is the 300 the same size as the 505 and does it replace the 505? I notice the 505 isn't on the site anymore. Also, is the 300 compatible with the light wedge? Finally, is it possible to convert my Amazon books I purchased so I can read them on the Sony? Thanks!
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
First, is the 300 the same size as the 505 and does it replace the 505?
The 505 has a 6" display while 300 has a 5" display. External dimensions are similar.
Quote:
Also, is the 300 compatible with the light wedge?
Don't know...
Quote:
Finally, is it possible to convert my Amazon books I purchased so I can read them on the Sony? Thanks!
Yes but 1) provided that your ebooks are not in topaz format, 2) that you want and know how to remove DRM, 3) you convert DeDRM'ed ebooks to ePub or lrf (using Calibre).
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I highly doubt the lightwedge from the 505 will fit the 300 and the 300 screen is smaller. Worst case scenario is the lightwedge will overlap all edges of the 300 but I suspect the 300 wouldn't even fit it the case securely to begin with.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
On Sony's US website, they have a new cover with a built in light specifically for the Sony 300. It's not a light wedge though. Actually probably works better than a light wedge.

It is a little costly though...$55 (more than 1/4 the cost of the reader!)

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665924193

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I posted a detailed review of my new 300 in the News & Commentary forum. (I also posted a pointer to that review here, but it was deleted as a "duplicate post." I think we need to combine the Sony Reader forums!

To answer your questions: FOr the size, if you match up the lower left corner of a 505 and a 300, the top of the 300 comes up to halfway between the top of the '1'menu button and the top of the 505's display. The right side of the 300 is right at the inside edge of the menu buttons on the 505. It is a tad thicker than the 505, about the same thickness as the 500. The light wedge won't fit--the 300 is noticeably smaller than the 505. The conversion option was answered above.

Also, I'm not sure I see the value in the new Sony booklight covers for the 300 and 600, which have a built-in extendable led light. Sure, it is attached, but it makes for a wider cover and doesn't do anything different than a clip-on booklight, of which there are many to choose from. (I use a "z-light) which is a 4-LED clip-on light that uses the large button batteries--roughly the size of a quarter, cheap on eBay--and folds flat.)

Also, note that the 300 does NOT come with a folding cover, but just a soft foam (neoprene?) pouch. I wish they included (or sold separately) a folding cover like the 505's! The 300 does have the small holes along the spine to accept such a cover.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert