Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Smashwords Formatting is terrible!!

Everytime I seem to get a book from Smashwords, the book seems to be formatted pretty un-professionally. I don't know what the deal is. Even on B&N, the free books are coming from Smashwords alot of the time.

Take some books that were recently offered for free by Schott Nicholson:

Cover is not the right book for Ashes....there is an ENTIRE STORY missing as well.

Excessive spacing between paragraphs....I have to edit these, it's more of a personal preference, but I think there should be SOME standard in the way e-Books are created (I do this because I HATE paragraph spaces, when there is alot of conversation going on, it's really really annoying)
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I like spaces between paragraphs, and usually have to put them in myself.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
I downloaded Ashes this morning. After going through the contents, all of the stories are there and the cover is correct.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I only like them if they are separating a scene or if it makes sense. Otherwise it just looks bad. I guess on the bright side, I'm learning how to use Style sheets to make the quicker edits.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuzaboss View Post
I downloaded Ashes this morning. After going through the contents, all of the stories are there and the cover is correct.
I downloaded it just a few minutes ago...again...it's missing "Silver Run" and the cover is Flowers LOL.
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Everytime I seem to get a book from Smashwords, the book seems to be formatted pretty un-professionally. I don't know what the deal is.
The joys of automatic conversion. Same thing tends to happen with Fictionwise's MultiFormat stuff, although it tends to give slightly better results than Smashwords' Meatgrinder, because it seems to be Calibre-based.

This, among other things, is why I wait until the 50% discount coupons appear to buy stuff at FW, because I like to have a proper TOC and separate chapters and no-indent for the first line of a paragraph and other typographical niceties and I know I'll have to do it myself.

I wish places would allow authors/publishers to upload and label hand-optimized versions for particular formats, while still generating the rest which the a/p doesn't feel like doing themselves. It'll improve the rep of e-books in general and multiformat books in particular, if they're not all dependent on untweakable auto-conversion from a single source file.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
If things are missing, then it isn't the fault of Smashwords. They take what they're given, convert it into different formats and make it available. If the author gives them a shoddy file, the end result from smashwords will never be good. Think of it this way; junk in, junk out.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Most of the books I've gotten from Smashwords have been fine for me; very few have been formatted in a way that is irritating to me. I'm possibly pretty lax on my demands for formatting, though. What I hate and find supremely irritating are excessive typos or grammar mistakes in a book. I've run across too many of those lately.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:05 AM   #9
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Most of the books I've gotten from Smashwords have been fine for me; very few have been formatted in a way that is irritating to me. I'm possibly pretty lax on my demands for formatting, though. What I hate and find supremely irritating are excessive typos or grammar mistakes in a book. I've run across too many of those lately.
Granted some have been pretty good, as a matter of fact I just downloaded a couple that were fine, but I've just had a string of really bad ones.

Funny you should say that about the grammar mistakes...I actually don't mind those LOL. As long as I can understand what the heck is being said in one pass, I'm okay.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:19 AM   #10
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I downloaded it just a few minutes ago...again...it's missing "Silver Run" and the cover is Flowers LOL.
Thats very strange. When I checked, pages 62-70 was 'Silver Run'. What story falls on those pages for you?
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #11
jhempel24
Wizard

I've found that there are TWO versions. There is one from Smashwords, which has 12 stories, and one from Kobobooks, which has 19 (even though there are 20 listed).

I sent a PM to the author since he posts here to ask him about that.

But this is how the book goes that I got from KoboBooks:

Introduction: The Horror Of It All by Jonathan Maberry
1. Timing Chains Of The Heart
2. Dog Person
3. The October Girls
4. The Endless Bivouac
5. Murdermouth
6. Sung Li
7. In The Family
8. The Night Is An Ally
9. Work In Progress
10. She Climbs A Winding Stair
11. Watermelon
12. The Meek
13. The Weight of Silence
14. The Hounds of Love
15. You’ll Never Walk Alone
16. Penance
17. Scarecrow Boy
18. Last Writes
19. Sewing Circle
Old 11-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #12
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
It might be worth noting that Smashwords gives the author the choice of converting with spaces between paragraphs (no indent recommended) or no spaces between paragraphs (indent recommended). You're getting whichever the author chose.

I recently put three of my o.p. books up on SW, and as far as I can tell from spot-checking the conversion was excellent. They emphasize how important it is to follow the SW style guide assiduously to get good conversion results. I did, and that's what I got.

You're welcome to download free samples of mine to see what the results look like to you.

Changes introduced in transmission to the other retailers may be a different matter.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #13
jhempel24
Wizard

Yeah, yours is excellent, no doubt!! I'll have to put these on my To Buy list, the books seem to be pretty interesting.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Everytime I seem to get a book from Smashwords, the book seems to be formatted pretty un-professionally
It have put it very politely.
I don't download their ePubs anymore. Only RTF.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #15
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Judging from a couple I've dealt with, I get the feeling some people are just submitting their raw manuscripts and hoping for magic.

I still prefer to do my own ePub/mobi generation.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote