Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #21181
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
And carry a big stick in case a bitey nasty comes along.
Like a strengthened cane with "argumentative capabilities"?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #21182
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Like a strengthened cane with "argumentative capabilities"?
"Argumentative capabilities!" What a well-turned phrase!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #21183
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
ecky thumps don't grow on trees.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #21184
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
"Argumentative capabilities!" What a well-turned phrase!

Stitchawl
Thanks, always a nice to hear compliment for a foreign speaker.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #21185
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Like this sword cane?!?
http://www.swordsswords.com/Cold-Ste...FYVFMgodDgkAzg
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #21186
Freeshadow
temp. out of service

Unfortunately not for me. Because it is a concealed weapon it's illegal in Germany.
You so much don't want me to rant about what's all forbidden here in regards of sharp and pointy toys.

What I d like to have is a walking staff (think wizard) rather than just a cane made of some sort of the woods practice swords are made of. Saw one made of black wood with red speckles. Just cool. No idea how that wood is called.
Because I do use a cane, chances are, no policeman would stop me investigating why I walk around with a short staff
Besides I could always answer I prefer something more stable in case of stumbling.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #21187
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Canes and staffs are very efficient weapons. But like any weapon, one needs to LEARN how to use it correctly, then PRACTICE with it every day. PRACTICE. The staff is the first weapon learned in Chinese martial arts, and it really only takes about a year to learn to use it properly. A YEAR.... Just walking around with one is NOT learning how to use it as a defensive or aggressive weapon. Any mugger who has been in a fight before will walk right past a cane or staff after the first swing if the user has not been trained to fight with it.

I'm sure that you have far more effective weapons in your purse that you have already PRACTICED handling every day for most of your life. That ring of keys, when carried in your hand, will defeat most unarmed muggers. So will your $1 BIC pen and your hair brush. They just don't as 'cool' as a sword or a staff, but on the other hand, you can even bring them right through airport security in any country in the world.

Just modify your key ring a bit with a larger ring like this one so you can hold it tighter. You don't need 'big' keys, but the more you have on the ring the better. For a hair brush, find one with a thinner handle, and to use, hold by the bristle end. That thin handle smacked into the cheek of a mugger is going to rock him back on his feet... Struck into the side of the head might kill him.

But none of these will work if they are in your purse. They must be in your hand. When you walk out of the shopping mall door they should ALREADY be in your hand. You will NOT have the time to take them out of your pocket at the time you need them. That's why a loud whistle on one of those curly wrist lanyards is so effective. (Or any wrist lanyard available at the Dollar Store. Works for key rings too...) It's always right where you need it to be when you need to use it. And it doesn't kill anyone. It just attracts a LOT of help.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 09-12-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #21188
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I don't think we are allowed those in Oz.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #21189
Freeshadow
temp. out of service

Stitchawl:
Absolutely believing you about staff fighting.
In my case it would in fact really be a more sturdy and stylish (from a geek POV) cane replacement that's why I said walking staff.

Last edited by Freeshadow; 09-12-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: sentence added
Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #21190
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Stitchawl:
Absolutely believing you about staff fighting.
In my case it would in fact really be a more sturdy and stylish (from a geek POV) cane replacement that's why I said walking staff.
In that case, look at those made from 'rattan.' A rattan "Jo" weighs 1/4 of what a wooden one weighs, is virtually unbreakable, and short enough not to look like a weapon. A 'jo' is usually 48"-50" compared with a 'bo' staff that would be 60"-72". Google martial arts supply companies and you can find rattan bo selling for about $15. The reasoning behind using rattan rather than wood is that wood's heavier weight will discourage you from always taking it with you. Rattan is so lightweight that you won't mind. You might have to decorate it yourself...

If lazy, you can find nice rattan canes made by THIS company. Note the slightly larger 'crook' of this. That is a wonderful addition to a protective tool!

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 09-12-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #21191
Freeshadow
temp. out of service

I already tought about purchasing a jo or even a bo and putting a cane's rubber, ending on it. As for forgetting it's unlikely because I use my cane actively as walking support. No idea what a wood it is, but it's not really heavy IMO. Taking a longer one would mean to put some gripping somewhere around the upper section and walk with like with a wizard's staff.
My cane has a hooking grip so I know them, but I admit that for a walking stick sized support I prefer to those wavy 'Windsor-style' grips like my previous cane had. I slipped on wet leaves with it. It got caught in the gully inlet and broke like a twig (twice) although I even managed to take nearly all weight off from it.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #21192
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I got my first computer about 15 years ago and I believe this might be the first time I have a computer problem that I just can't figure out. I'm getting a blue screen, garbled screen, no screen or automatic reboot and I just can't figure out what can cause all of those symptoms. Grrrr...
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #21193
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

That usually means that the computer is broken.

or your video card is stuffed.

Either way, and opportunity to buy a new computer yay!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #21194
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Any box large enough to hold electronic parts is also large enough to hold evil spirits.

Stitchawl
Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #21195
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Any box large enough to hold electronic parts is also large enough to hold evil spirits.

Stitchawl
Very true, Stitch! The radio in our truck where I work has a demon that changes the channels and volume without warning.

@SolRaven: Modern technology won't help at this point. You need to drive a stake in your computer's hard drive and perform an exorcism.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-18-2012 at 09:37 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness