Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
noerd77
noerd77 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Adding leading letters to book-titles

Hello to all!

I have a question about calibre.

I want to add some letters to a lot of book-titles.

It should look like this one as an example:

before: 1500 - The Day when all began
after: AB1500 - The Day when all began

and https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/biggrin.gif

is it possible in a extra row in the metadatas to number some books begining with 0001 to 0100?

I have tried it, but all i tried does not work https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/confused.gif

So i will be very thankful if someone could help me!

Many thanks in advance!!

noerd
the 77th
noerd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by noerd77 View Post
I want to add some letters to a lot of book-titles.

It should look like this one as an example:

before: 1500 - The Day when all began
after: AB1500 - The Day when all began
Just edit your metadata. You can change the metadata fields to (almost) anything you like.

Quote:
is it possible in a extra row in the metadatas to number some books begining with 0001 to 0100?

I have tried it, but all i tried does not work
It would've been helpful to know what you tried. What you need to do is add a custom column. There are instructions on how to do so in the manual.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
noerd77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Just edit your metadata. You can change the metadata fields to (almost) anything you like.
Yes, thats correct. But if i have to add some letters ( 2 ore 3) in Front of the title, this would be a boring work when i have to do this with 100 books.
Quote:
It would've been helpful to know what you tried. What you need to do is add a custom column. There are instructions on how to do so in the manual.
I've made a extra row, named "nr." and i want to fill it with a seriall number, beginning with the number i choose. As an example i take 40 books, mark them and go to create and change the metadata for them at once. And than there i want to give the order to number these 40 books in the row "nr." as i want it.

Hope i explained it good enough

Greetings
noerd
the 77th
Old 01-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Yes, thats correct. But if i have to add some letters ( 2 ore 3) in Front of the title, this would be a boring work when i have to do this with 100 books.
There's a search and replace feature available in the bulk metadata edit. Use regex mode, search for (.*) in the title field, replace with XX \1, XX being whatever letters you want to insert.

Quote:
I've made a extra row, named "nr." and i want to fill it with a seriall number, beginning with the number i choose. As an example i take 40 books, mark them and go to create and change the metadata for them at once. And than there i want to give the order to number these 40 books in the row "nr." as i want it.
I don't quite understand- you want to have an automatically incremented serial number starting with a certain value? I don't think you can do that, you'd have to manually edit in the values.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
noerd77

You understood me correct. And what you said is just what i suspected.

Many thanks for your help!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Could you create a custom column (named prefix), serial type, and store the prefix letters as the serial name and then store the order number in the serial-number.

Use another custom-column (built from other colums), with the template
{#prefix}{title}
And use this as your title, when doing a 'save as'

may need tweaking.
Edit: I haven't actually tried it myself - but it should work.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
noerd77

Hello,

maybe i am too inexpertly.

All i tried, it doesn't work.

So maybe i could try it with the file-title? Is it possible to take the file-title (the name i see in the file-explorer in Windows) as the booktitle in the ebooks metadata?

I thank you all for your help!!!

Sorry for my gaucheness
Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
So maybe i could try it with the file-title? Is it possible to take the file-title (the name i see in the file-explorer in Windows) as the booktitle in the ebooks metadata?
You can set the title from the filename on import only. See preferences->adding books.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
There is no reason why you could do this via the bulk metadata editor using the search and replace tab. Since I have yet to have a need for this I have absolutely no clue how to do this. Hopefully someone with a clue will stop by.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
noerd77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
You can set the title from the filename on import only. See preferences->adding books.
Thanks for this idea! It works!! Yes!!

But, the big "but", the Author is gone.

So i have to choose, either i take the possibility to set the title from the filename on import and loose the author. Than i have to add the author manually. Or i add my needed letters manually.

I think to add the leading letters manually will be the easier and shorter way.

Maybe when i'm ready with this work sometime, someone will add the function i need to calibre?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
Manichean
Wizard

Apart from the automatically increasing numerical vaule you want, the functionality is already there (And the increasing value could, as Perkin described, be built via a series column). And it is already possible to read the author from the filename, if the information is there in the first place.