Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Page numbers

I'm curious about page numbers in conversions for mobi/epub. The original book from Amazon has 376 pages.

I ran it through Calibre to remove spaces between paragraphs and when I put it back on my Kindle, the book now shows 609 pages.

I then converted to epub to put on my Sony and the book shows 437 pages, which is a bit better.

Is this just how it works or am I missing doing something in the conversion process?
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
The page number algorithms don't have anything to do with conversion (directly at least) - they're actually applied when you transfer the ebook to your device. As to why you're seeing such a huge discrepancy I haven't a clue.

For sony the page count comes directly from the Sony device - which uses a in-built Adobe Digital Editions algorithm. The Kindle page count is supplied by Calibre though, and this is an algorithm reverse engineered from the Kindle behavior, so it's possible it won't always agree with Amazon.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I ran it through Calibre to remove spaces between paragraphs and when I put it back on my Kindle, the book now shows 609 pages.
If you go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugin for your Kindle you can check a box that will give you a more accurate page count.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
If you go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugin for your Kindle you can check a box that will give you a more accurate page count.
Thank you! It's now gone down to 506 pages

I'm going to try various conversion options to see if I can get it closer to the page count on my Sony.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The page count given by Amazon is only going to include text pages. Cover, copyright, preface, ... are not included. Calibre and Adobe page counts include all pages.

Also the Amazon number is related to a particular print version. If it is a hard cover version for instance the page count can be drastically different. In the case of calibre and Adobe's numbers they are approximation and will never be exactly the same as Amazon's number.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
JoHunt
I am what I am

Thank you for the explanation. I probably wasn't clear in my OP, but the 376 pages was from the ebook version I downloaded from Amazon. This is why I couldn't figure out why it suddenly jumped to 609 pages.

In any event, there's a close enough parity now to allow me to switch between readers without too much of a problem.

Last edited by JoHunt; 09-23-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Thank you for the explanation. I probably wasn't clear in my OP, but the 376 pages was from the ebook version I downloaded from Amazon. This is why I couldn't figure out why it suddenly jumped to 609 pages.
He knew you were referring to the ebook version. To give it some perspective open the book in calibre's viewer and check out the number of pages it shows.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote