Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #31
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
Do I lose karma for exagerration?
Only if you exaggerate your karma!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Ouch! Squirrel, maybe...but were I blind I would only be interested in the Text-To-Speech capabilities of ebook readers. And the whole finding a nut thing...we just won't go there.

I'm just jealous.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #33
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are you? View Post
Or they add a special 7 inch wide reading mode like
If this was an actual display setting, I'd buy it just to be able to mess with my kids:

"Studies have shown that asymmetric off-axis displays promote greater retention and comprehension because they stimulate the temporal lobe of the cerebrum similar to the effects of rapid serial visualization."

"Really?"

"No, go to your room and don't come out until you're an adult! Can't you see I'm trying to read here?"
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #34
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I find it could be an issue, but it has not been for me on the 700, and I doubt it would be on the 600. But then, for those for whom their perception of "blurriness" and "glare" on the 600 is an issue, then it would be for them. Get it?

It sound like the 600 and 900 are not the eReaders for you. I personally love my 700, and feel the extra screen real estate of the 900 might be a nice improvement.

So you don't find the smaller screen size and fewer lines per page and issue? I certainly do!

It's all in personal perception. As I stated originally. ::

... and don't let Jon hear you talking about "glare" on the 600. In that your perception is completely figmentary!
I agree! When deciding between the 505 and the 700, I was concerned with the lack of clarity on the 700 compared to the 505. However, I liked the touch screen, so I chose the 700. After reading for a very short amount of time, I loved the 700 and didn't really notice the reduced clarity because I wasn't comparing it to the 505. There are occasions, though, when the glare (forgive me, Jon) can be annoying. At those times, I change my position or seat and the problem is corrected. And that's from a 50 year old woman who has to wear a corrective lens in one eye for near sight and one corrective lens in the other eye for far sight.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #35
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
And that's from a 50 year old woman who has to wear a corrective lens in one eye for near sight and one corrective lens in the other eye for far sight.
Am I relieved to hear you say that. My optometrist said he had never seen someone near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other like I am. Must have been a symptom of our era as I'm 50 also. And though glare is the thing my eyes are most sensitive to now days, if it isn't a problem for you I don't think it would be for me.

You ever have to resort to a pair of off-the-shelf reading glasses? Had to decide if I wanted to get a headache behind my left eye or my right eye. This getting old thing sucks but I guess it's better than the alternative.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #36
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I must say i do love the device, from what i see in the pictures. I tend to agree with Sony not to have done a screen with a larger width. It would make it a lot less portable, and that is one of the reasons i bought my 505. I can put it in my jacket pocket and go.

I don't care that much about wireless capability but the dictionary is really handy. And the esthetics is superb in my opinion. Simple, stylish and captivating. I think it beats the Kindle by far. Since i have the 505 already and very satisfied with it i don't think i will change, but if i was looking for one ebook reader it would be surely one of my top targets.

I somtimes have a problem with the reflexion of light in the tiny chromed line on the border of the reader, but a simple change in position solves it.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I agree! When deciding between the 505 and the 700, I was concerned with the lack of clarity on the 700 compared to the 505. However, I liked the touch screen, so I chose the 700. After reading for a very short amount of time, I loved the 700 and didn't really notice the reduced clarity because I wasn't comparing it to the 505. There are occasions, though, when the glare (forgive me, Jon) can be annoying. At those times, I change my position or seat and the problem is corrected. And that's from a 50 year old woman who has to wear a corrective lens in one eye for near sight and one corrective lens in the other eye for far sight.
I did recently have another look at the 600 and I did notice something. That the glare on the 600 can both be better or worse then on the 300 or 505. It depends I guess on the angle the light is shining on the screens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #38
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
And that's from a {young} woman who has to wear a corrective lens in one eye for near sight and one corrective lens in the other eye for far sight.
It seems you have the best of all possible worlds. Far sight and near sight!

Except when you want to see clearly in stereo.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #39
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Perhaps it's just me and/or the anti-glare coating on my tri-focals, I didn't know the 700 had/has a glare issue!
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #40
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Am I relieved to hear you say that. My optometrist said he had never seen someone near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other like I am. Must have been a symptom of our era as I'm 50 also. And though glare is the thing my eyes are most sensitive to now days, if it isn't a problem for you I don't think it would be for me.

You ever have to resort to a pair of off-the-shelf reading glasses? Had to decide if I wanted to get a headache behind my left eye or my right eye. This getting old thing sucks but I guess it's better than the alternative.
I had the same issue in my teens. However, by the time I was 25 both eyes were solidly in the "near sighted" column, though the left eye is still a lot less far sighted. According to the doctor that was because the far sighted eye tired more easily.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:30 AM   #41
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
No red edition? That sucks.

Sony's description of the PRS-900's screen seems a little bit more promising than that of the 600.

What they say about PRS-900's screen:

Quote:
Crisp, paper-like display

The Reader Daily Edition™ utilizes E Ink® Vizplex™ screen technology to deliver an amazing, paper-like display that’s more like ink on paper and fully readable in direct sunlight. The screen offers a high contrast ratio with 16 levels of grayscale, ensuring that text and images are crisp and easy to read.
And about PRS-600:

Quote:
Paper-like display for easy reading

The Reader Touch Edition™ utilizes E Ink® Vizplex™ screen technology to deliver an amazing, paper-like display that’s more like ink on paper and fully readable in direct sunlight.
But then I went to read their description for the PRS-300's screen and it says exactly the same things as the description of the PRS-600's screen. Oh well. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

By the way, if the PRS-900 is going to cost $400, how much do you think Plastic Logic will be? $600? $800?

Last edited by Andanzas; 09-18-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:37 AM   #42
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
There have been quite a few people who have voiced their displeasure with the 600 and the effects that the touch layer has on readability, so much to the point that a wave of people have returned them.
Yes - one has to wonder why Sony did not use a capacitive touch screen mounted behind the display. For me this seems to be the only way to go for eInk displays.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:39 AM   #43
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
If this was an actual display setting, I'd buy it just to be able to mess with my kids:

"Studies have shown that asymmetric off-axis displays promote greater retention and comprehension because they stimulate the temporal lobe of the cerebrum similar to the effects of rapid serial visualization."

"Really?"

"No, go to your room and don't come out until you're an adult! Can't you see I'm trying to read here?"
*snort* You owe me a new computermonitor!

(Note to self, I HAVE to stop drinking coffee and checking MR at the same time!)
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #44
DrPong
DrPong began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
DrPong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #45
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did recently have another look at the 600 and I did notice something. That the glare on the 600 can both be better or worse then on the 300 or 505. It depends I guess on the angle the light is shining on the screens.
Very true! I've noticed that when I'm sitting in my husband's study with diffused sunlight coming through the bay window at my back, the glare is horrendous. That's when I close the blinds completely and turn on the overhead light or go on up to my own reading chair in my studio (where it's actually quieter and off the beaten path, so to speak ).
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote