Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #16
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
any idea if this becomes available to europe?? i fear it wont, because of the 3G
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
Who's had the "PRS-900" in their signature block for over eight months?
(<<<Hint...look left.)
Well even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #18
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
(<<<Hint...look left.)
Good job PKING. I had guessed that it would be a 900 as well, but I wasn't brave enough to put it on my signature block.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #19
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
(<<<Hint...look left.)
You've only been a registered member for less than 7 months?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #20
eal
eal began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
while the site says 7" diagonal the original press release said

"The seven-inch wide, touch screen display provides for intuitive navigation and comfortable layout of content, including newspapers and magazines, whether you’re reading in portrait or landscape orientation. In portrait mode, about 30-35 lines of text are visible, making the experience very similar to that of a printed paperback book."

so one of these is wrong.
eal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #21
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiren View Post
Interesting landscape format picture:

Edit: Interesting but I doubt I'd use it over portrait mode. It wouldn't display more text anyway. It could be nice if you don't like very long lines of text.
I dont mean to be a kill joy but from the photos i have seen it looks like the same washed out grey text and glare issues of the 600
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #22
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
I dont mean to be a kill joy but from the photos i have seen it looks like the same washed out grey text and glare issues of the 600
... for anyone that actually finds that perception to be an issue.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #23
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by eal View Post
while the site says 7" diagonal the original press release said

"The seven-inch wide, touch screen display provides for intuitive navigation and comfortable layout of content, including newspapers and magazines, whether you’re reading in portrait or landscape orientation. In portrait mode, about 30-35 lines of text are visible, making the experience very similar to that of a printed paperback book."

so one of these is wrong.
Or they add a special 7 inch wide reading mode like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7inchwide.jpg
Views:	2183
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	36027  
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #24
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Wouldn't it only have the one line displayed in 7 inch wide reading mode?
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #25
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
... for anyone that actually finds that perception to be an issue.
So you do not feel that readability and glare are issues to be concerned about in an ereader? There have been quite a few people who have voiced their displeasure with the 600 and the effects that the touch layer has on readability, so much to the point that a wave of people have returned them. I think it is a valid convern with the 900. The 700 came and went so fast I hardly even saw it.

I did not even mention the form factor of the 900 which is neither pocketable for convenience nor big enough for full size pdf's. We can check back in 6 months, but I think by any measure the 900 and for that fact the 600 will not be considered a successful product.

The 300 to me fills a real niche and has a great screen. The 600 and 900 seem like design compromises that will not compare favorably to other current and soon to be released readers. Sony seems to be floundering around with their line trying to find the right combo but in my opinion have not even come close to thier original success of thier very well thought out prs-505
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #26
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I wouldn't be surprised if the reasoning behind the 600 and the 900 is a need by sony's marketing to have enough distinguishing features to separate the models in the range to new customers more than trying to sell upgrades to existing customers.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #27
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
So you do not feel that readability and glare are issues to be concerned about in an ereader? There have been quite a few people who have voiced their displeasure with the 600 and the effects that the touch layer has on readability, so much to the point that a wave of people have returned them. I think it is a valid convern with the 900. The 700 came and went so fast I hardly even saw it.
I find it could be an issue, but it has not been for me on the 700, and I doubt it would be on the 600. But then, for those for whom their perception of "blurriness" and "glare" on the 600 is an issue, then it would be for them. Get it?

Quote:
I did not even mention the form factor of the 900 which is neither pocketable for convenience nor big enough for full size pdf's. We can check back in 6 months, but I think by any measure the 900 and for that fact the 600 will not be considered a successful product.
It sound like the 600 and 900 are not the eReaders for you. I personally love my 700, and feel the extra screen real estate of the 900 might be a nice improvement.

Quote:
The 300 to me fills a real niche and has a great screen. The 600 and 900 seem like design compromises that will not compare favorably to other current and soon to be released readers. Sony seems to be floundering around with their line trying to find the right combo but in my opinion have not even come close to thier original success of thier very well thought out prs-505
So you don't find the smaller screen size and fewer lines per page and issue? I certainly do!

It's all in personal perception. As I stated originally. ::

... and don't let Jon hear you talking about "glare" on the 600. In that your perception is completely figmentary!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #28
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
What about a dictionary??!!
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #29
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treven View Post
What about a dictionary??!!
"Built-in Dictionary

A handy search function lets you look up words in the New Oxford American Dictionary, Second Edition."
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #30
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.
Ouch! Squirrel, maybe...but were I blind I would only be interested in the Text-To-Speech capabilities of ebook readers. And the whole finding a nut thing...we just won't go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
Good job PKING. I had guessed that it would be a 900 as well, but I wasn't brave enough to put it on my signature block.
Wicked lucky guess! I guess I'll be splitting the "Name the Wireless Sony Reader" lottery with you. I'm going to splurge and spend my winnings on a PRS-900. Though it's more likely I'll spend my share on a free Google book to read on it (what is 50% of $0,000,000.00?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
You've only been a registered member for less than 7 months?
Yeah, but I spent a year in this forum one month! Actually 7 months isn't even right, based on the date I signed up, I've only been registered for less than six and a half months, though like most I was a 'lurker' for some time before that.

Do I lose karma for exagerration? Or do I get a pass since me being prescient about the Sony device name would have to be classified as 'fiction' and possibly even 'fantasy'?
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote