Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #3586
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I guess it is time I jail broke my DX and DXG devices.

I have been leaving them un-touched, with one registered and one not registered, just to have them factory standard.

With the departure of our developer who did have a jail broken DXG -
I guess having these jail broken would be more useful than making sure they stay factory stock.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #3587
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
@NiLuJe: Thanks, I confirm Update Successful.

Oh boy, I was questioning my sanity last night, I was like 'Goddamnit have I become a noob once again or what?!'
Well I believe we all are to some extent (or better be), for life... humility is an unparalleled fruitful virtue.

Also, as I'd like to have a clean /mnt/us/, I always manually move stuff to my applications directory, so linkfonts now peacefully resides in /mnt/us/applications/linkfonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I guess it is time I jail broke my DX and DXG devices.

I have been leaving them un-touched, with one registered and one not registered, just to have them factory standard.

With the departure of our developer who did have a jail broken DXG -
I guess having these jail broken would be more useful than making sure they stay factory stock.
Yes, indeed. These is beautiful device and as twobob once said, very underdeveloped.

I am most probably staying on 2.5.8 and GUI-chrooting to 3.4.2, because v3.* is reportedly having some issues that will make this eReader suffer esp. as I'm using it as my main device (and for now, the only one)...
I swear I'm actually reading on this thing, rather than tweaking it. hahaha Besides,

@knc1: Speaking of chance of screwing DX(G): We had diags+ssh for K5. Has this been done for DX(G)?

Again sorry to quasi-hijack the thread.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-24-2015 at 11:40 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #3588
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@idoit: Great, thanks for testing .

That said, the directory structure for my stuff is pretty much set in stone; if you move linkfonts somewhere else, it *will* break.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #3589
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@idoit: Great, thanks for testing .

That said, the directory structure for my stuff is pretty much set in stone; if you move linkfonts somewhere else, it *will* break.
Don't worry, I'll be good & safe.
The fonts are beautiful. New blood in my Kindle... Now going to add some Persian fonts.

End of hijack

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-23-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #3590
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
- - - -
@knc1: Speaking of chance of screwing DX(G): We had diags+ssh for K5. Has this been done for DX(G)?
I don't recall reading of one.

But nearly all of the DX(G) postings where before I joined, so I could easily have missed it.

But back to your question - I think it would be a good idea that we add one, if the factory didn't already ship us one on the device.

And maybe a DX(G) version of the Coward's Rescue Pack to match.

The diags partition is quite small (24Mbyte) and /var/local is even smaller (8Mbyte), see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=46
(open the spoiler)

In my thread "ARMhf for Kindles" (or something like that - 'tutorial') I give examples of building executibles that use modern software version and run from USBstorage - without touching the Amazon install.

The point here is not hard float, but that things are built to use a modern libc version that lives in /mnt/us (user storage).
It could just as well use musl.
http://www.musl-libc.org/
Advert
Old 08-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #3591
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The FW 2.x devices are NOT dual-boot devices, IIRC. No diags as such, but the rescue shell at boot, and the ancestors of the diags tests lying somewhere in main.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:21 PM   #3592
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The FW 2.x devices are NOT dual-boot devices, IIRC. No diags as such, but the rescue shell at boot, and the ancestors of the diags tests lying somewhere in main.
I think they are devices that stored a primary and alternate boot image (with a single root file system).

Perhaps even a primary and alternate u-boot image as well.

(Flash storage hardware wasn't trusted so much, back in those days.)

I still have a backup copy of twobob's DX - on a per-device basis.
There are 14 storage devices (or partitions) on the DX.
I'll push that copy to kpool/dxg in case you want to look at it.
(It will probably be safer there anyway, I am about to perform major surgery on my own PC's storage system.)

Edit:
Working, should be there in about 1-1/2 hours.

Sorry for the thread hyjack, but here, from mach-mx3/mario.c
Spoiler:

Code:
#ifdef CONFIG_MACH_MARIO_MX
#if 1
/* 8Mbyte version */
static struct mtd_partition mxc_nor_partitions[] = {
	{
	 .name = "Bootloader1",
	 .size = 128 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00020000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
	{
	 .name = "Kernel1",
	 .size = 3584 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00060000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
	{
	 .name = "BoardId",
	 .size = 32 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00008000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
	{
	 .name = "Bootloader2",
	 .size = 128 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00040000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
	{
	 .name = "Kernel2",
	 .size = 3584 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00400000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
	{
	 .name = "BootEnv",
	 .size = 64 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00010000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
	{
	 .name = "Diags",
	 .size = 128 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x003e0000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
	{
	 .name = "Vectors",
	 .size = 24 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00000000,
	 .mask_flags = 0}, /* one day we should force this as read-only */
	{
	 .name = "unused0",
	 .size = 64 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00010000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
};
#else
/* 4Mbyte version */
static struct mtd_partition mxc_nor_partitions[] = {
	{
	 .name = "Bootloader1",
	 .size = 128 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00020000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
	{
	 .name = "Kernel1",
	 .size = 1792 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00060000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
	{
	 .name = "BoardId",
	 .size = 32 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00008000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
	{
	 .name = "Bootloader2",
	 .size = 128 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00040000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
	{
	 .name = "Kernel2",
	 .size = 1792 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00220000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
	{
	 .name = "BootEnv",
	 .size = 64 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00010000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
	{
	 .name = "Diags",
	 .size = 128 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x003e0000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
	{
	 .name = "Vectors",
	 .size = 24 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00000000,
	 .mask_flags = 0}, /* one day we should force this as read-only */
	{
	 .name = "unused0",
	 .size = 64 * 1024,
	 .offset = 0x00010000,
	 .mask_flags = 0},
};
#endif
#endif

Last edited by knc1; 08-23-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #3593
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Right, there were two kernels, that's it .
Old 09-17-2015, 02:45 AM   #3594
miminca
miminca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hey, does this also work for kindle paperwhite 3?
miminca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:57 AM   #3595
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by miminca View Post
Hey, does this also work for kindle paperwhite 3?
Wrong thread, read title.
This is for the "legacy" devices prior to the touch screen devices.

= = = =

For the correct thread, when you find it (hint: has 'K5 and Paperwhite' in its title) -
The answer is 'yes' (for the correct thread).

One qualification to that 'yes' answer - the PW-3 has to be jailbroken, which currently can only be done over the serial port.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #3596
Faizan7
Faizan7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Help With Jailbreak For FW 3.4.2 ???
Faizan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #3597
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faizan7 View Post
Help With Jailbreak For FW 3.4.2 ???
What is your problem?
First thing, are you using the most recent?
See: NiLuJe's snapshot thread, set the prefix filter to 'tools' to help find it.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #3598
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Not that it should change much in the case of legacy stuff, but it's always worth mentioning .
Old 10-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #3599
thatworkshop
hub

If anyone came up with a way to leave last page of book as screensaver on non-touch Kindles, let me know. It's possible in two ways neither of which is appealing to me: ssknap or deleting /opt/amazon/screen_saver images!

Also, I like my new sleep time as 5 minutes. You can change it too: t1_timeout: 300 in /etc/powerd.conf.n -> It's original value is 1200 seconds.

Be careful!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-10-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #3600
ddominguez2007
ddominguez2007 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Hi Everyone, I'm up and running with Kindle DXG as a monitor after I followed the PC World tutorial. Everything's great. The only thing now I'm wondering is: what state exactly is the kindle in when it's not plugged into the computer as a monitor? The reason I ask is because potentially I'd want to interchangeably used it as an e-reader and monitor without having to hard reset it.

When it's a monitor but not connected to the PC, I noticed it's in a sort of sleep state until I activate it with putty. I also noticed the power button is disabled and it's functionalities are limited only to being a monitor.

If anyone has insight into the Kindle DXG's functionality while it's setup to be a monitor and not connected to the monitor, that would be great.
ddominguez2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet