Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Entourage Edge DOA?

http://gizmodo.com/5445603/the-ultim...-we-care-about

In the attached link, Gizmodo gave the Entourage Edge a 0% chance of survival and essentially deemed it dead on arrival. What are they thinking about?

I know that it is heavy but when I look at it, I see something with twice the usability of the Que which is definately years beyond the Kindle.

Am I missing something here? I am on the pre-order list for the Edge so I really want to know what everyone else thinks about this review.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulckennedy View Post
http://gizmodo.com/5445603/the-ultim...-we-care-about

In the attached link, Gizmodo gave the Entourage Edge a 0% chance of survival and essentially deemed it dead on arrival. What are they thinking about?

I know that it is heavy but when I look at it, I see something with twice the usability of the Que which is definately years beyond the Kindle.

Am I missing something here? I am on the pre-order list for the Edge so I really want to know what everyone else thinks about this review.
The bloggers over at Gizmodo share a weakness with journalists; they don't know much about anything they cover. It might be a failure as an ebook reader but that's okay because it's not an ebook reader. It's a netbook. Their lack of knowledge blinds them to the possibilities inherent in the design.

Are you in the February or March shipments? If you don't want it I'll buy it off you.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

I am in the February shipments. I sold my Kindle 2 and Kindle DX to get the money for it. So, I am kind of jonesing for my pdf fix right now.

I didn't really know how dependent I had become on my DX until I sold it.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Overall pretty bland reviews.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The bloggers over at Gizmodo share a weakness with journalists; they don't know much about anything they cover.
Agreed 100%. Provided the device has no hardware issues (and it shouldn't have) it is a great device and "infinitely" more powerful than any other ebook reader currently available. Other vendors will follow down this same path probably making devices that are lighter and easier to carry.

I should be on the Feb shipment list. If the eDGe is as great as I think it will be, I will be purchasing one for the wife.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I don't know but this device is on the top of my list above the Que, Kindle DX and iRex for a tech book / PDF reader and business meeting device.

Hey, if you want to just sit and read fiction all day then Kindle, Sony, CyBook devices are all you need.

But, that's not the market for this device, clearly.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Exactly! I see it the same way you do. Those readers you mentioned are strictly for reading fiction and/or books that have been formatted for their specific formats and display options.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The bloggers over at Gizmodo share a weakness with journalists; they don't know much about anything they cover. It might be a failure as an ebook reader but that's okay because it's not an ebook reader. It's a netbook. Their lack of knowledge blinds them to the possibilities inherent in the design.

Are you in the February or March shipments? If you don't want it I'll buy it off you.
Actually, when I talked to them at CES they intend to be a first class eBook Reader. It is their prime goal. They just define features a little bit different. They are able to be able to link the two screens together. You can for example click an object in a book and bring up and image or even a movie over on the other screen. The TOC on the LCD screen links directly to the eBook content.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually, when I talked to them at CES they intend to be a first class eBook Reader. It is their prime goal. They just define features a little bit different. They are able to be able to link the two screens together. You can for example click an object in a book and bring up and image or even a movie over on the other screen. The TOC on the LCD screen links directly to the eBook content.

Dale
It's the reader part that I disagree with. It does so much more than simply read.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
Do you think this is the reason that some of the edge books are so expensive? Are we getting some enhanced content? I could see paying $19.95 for the Lost Symbol if one screen you had the text and on another screen perhaps videos or pictures of the locations in the book.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
No its merely that Entourage cannot subsidize the ebook purchases like Amazon can. Amazon can sell the books for close to cost or even at a loss and still profit. Smaller newer Book sellers cannot.

Look at the prices at Powell's for instance http://www.powells.com/ebookstore/eb...?margin=eBooks Powell's is legendary in this part of the world for good prices on new and used paper books. But their ebook prices are more like you would find at sellers other than the Amazon's and B&Ns of the world.

The lost Symbol is currently $15.75 at Powell's

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-15-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:17 AM   #12
Selcien
Enthusiast
Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook color
I don't get it. In their guide they have the price as a negative, yet in their hands on they call the price "incredible". They also sound quite pleased with the device in their hands on and yet finish by saying that they "can't really hold it up in one hand"? I've had a Kindle DX and while it could be used one handed two hands were better, and propping it up/resting it on something was even better yet. So who on earth would expect to be able to hold this monstrosity in one hand when it's clearly meant to be laid down on something?

I'm very interested in this device but it just sounds too good to be true, I mean, it's only $10 more than I had paid for the DX, so what's the catch?

Last edited by Selcien; 01-17-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Selcien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
zetareticuli
Addict

Companies are always trying to make better devices and sell them cheaper and cheaper to remain competitive. Supposedly, there is no catch. That remains to be seen, however. I plan to write a review of mine after I get it.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #14
paulckennedy
Addict

I plan on writing up a review too. I propose that all of us who get on, work on making demonstration materials for new owners on how to get the most from their device.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
zetareticuli
Addict

Yes. That's a good idea. I will even take pictures of how PDFs and other supported formats work. My main interest in the eDGe is the combination of both a netbook and e-reader features, especially for the price. The price of large screen readers such as the Kindle DX and iRex products has always been questionable in my opinion, considering that they are only dedicated devices. For under $500, often for under $350 you can get an 10.2" or 11.6" netbook, which is a much more powerful device. Don' get me wrong, I know an e-reader is an e-reader and cannot be expected to perform as a netbook but the price is unjustifiable in my opinion. In my opinion, $250 - $300 would a reasonable price for a dedicated large screen reader device such as the Kindle DX and $150 to $175 would be a reasonable price for a smaller 6" dedicated reader.