Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 06-14-2006, 04:42 AM   #1
vikingblade
vikingblade began at the beginning.

Help...Ebookwise 1150

Im planning on purchasing the 1150, however im still confused on a few things...

Will it run anything i find on the fictionwise site.. i found alot of books i want there, but when i look under the choose format, it shows Mobipocket, Microsoft reader, or Palm. I dont see any option for IMP.

Im confused...where do i find the ebooks that the 1150 runs?

How do i know for sure if the ebook is the correct format before buying?
Will it run Mobipocket...

Ive already got many .pdf, .lit, .txt ebooks on my pc... Is there an easy way to convert these to the 1150

THANKS
vikingblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The eb-1150 is only capable of displaying files in its native imp format. You can buy those from fictionwise (1/2 VGA Greyscale) or ebookwise.

You cannot use any other type of file at all. There are utilities for converting text, rtf and word documents to imp files. But you will not be able to display secured pdf, mobipocket or ereader files.

There are ways to break apart Microsoft Reader (lit) files and convert them for use on the eb-1150, but those tools will be illegal if you live in the United States as they are a violation of the DMCA.

Fictionwise: www.fictionwise.com
Ebookwise: www.ebookwise.com (all eb-1150 files and nothing else)
They also sell a librarian program (windows only) that does conversions of non-encrypted files.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
PostGrant
Enthusiast
PostGrant began at the beginning.

Device: eBookWise, Dell Axim X5
Oh, cmon now...

Nevertheless, there are tools to do so. I'm not encouraging illegal activity or the like, but I'll tell you this: if I buy a .LIT book and it's not supported on my machine, I do not lose sleep over converting it to another format. My book, my use, my choice.

If you'd like to experiment with a tool to convert .LIT files to .IMP, check out ConvertLIT (Google it). For PDF and the rest, you're on your own, I don't really use them.

HTML, TXT, RTF, and DOC are all easily readable on the eBookWise with the EBookWise Librarian software. It's $10-15, and well worth it if you want an easy drag-and-drop solution to getting your own stuff on your EB-1150.
PostGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
vikingblade

thnx guys... as far as pdf...i can save/convert a pdf file to a .txt file. cant this .txt file then just be converted to imp...

of course, most everything i wanted to read on the 1150 isnt available in imp. ebookwise new book selection is... pitiful. i dunno bout you guys, but im not spending 100 bucks to read dracula, three musketeers, or art of war. im interested in modern best sellers.

i really, really cant understand why this is so complicated. so many damn formats. i should be able to purchase a dedicated ebook reader device, buy ebooks and go... i can take an mp3 player, drop in mp3s from my pc and thats it. there isnt five different formats of digital music, different devices only using this or that. what is the freakin problem with ebooks. if they are ever going to become really popular, they better get on the same page.

SO...WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS IF I WANNA READ THE LATEST EBOOKS... Which only seem to come in .pdf or .lit.... a pc, laptop... so much for portability. Any suggestions, should i just give up the ebook idea and stick with paperbacks.

What makes this so frustrating for me is... im disabled, in a wheelchair with limited hand control. turning pages is hard, holding books open is hard. an ebook reader is perfect for my needs.

Last edited by vikingblade; 06-14-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
vikingblade

OK...Done some experimenting...

Concerning converting html, txt, lit, pdf to .IMP Ebookwise 1150 Format....

On my WinXP PC..
Using converlit... converted .lit ebook to .html
Using Save as Text feature in Adobe Reader... converted .pdf to .txt

Using EBookwise Librarian.. Ive managed to convert both these .html and .txt ebooks to Ebookwise 1150 .IMP Format.

These converted .imp ebooks successfully displayed on my pc using the Gemstar Ebook Viewer that came with the Ebookwise Librarian Program.

My question is.... Will these converted ebooks definately run ok on the ebookwise 1150?
Advert
Old 06-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #6
PostGrant
Enthusiast

If you can see it on the reader program, you should be able too. I've never had a discrepency between the two.

I can't say for sure, of course, but I can speak from experience and say I've never had a problem. From what I understand of hte viewer, it should mirror exactly what the book displays. I'm looking at a book and hte viewer right now, and I see no differences in random pages. If you got that far buddy, I think you're good to go.

Last edited by PostGrant; 06-14-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:37 AM   #7
vikingblade

thanks man.. so far so good.

by the way.. any experience with pda/palm for ebooks... still trying to decide which is the best way to go
Old 06-15-2006, 12:48 AM   #8
PostGrant
Enthusiast

Yeah, I have a Dell Axim X5, and it's pretty good for most, but the screen size kind of kills it. Plus, PDF support is pretty bad - I have to do a lot of scrolling, its slow, and it's generally pretty inconvienent. Battery life is less on a PDA too. Naturally, the upside is that PDAs can do other stuff like games, apps, email, web, etc.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Speaking to Palms ... I do some reading on mine, and it works okay. As with PostGrant's Axim, the screen size is a pain. I use the e-Reader software, and I know the pdf reader for palm is kind of a hog on space and on the slow side. I can't speak to too many formats, as the books I have are all gutenburg or Baen products, which also come in open formats. I use a Word Macro to mark up the RTF files in the format that the e-Reader software expects to see.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:49 AM   #10
vikingblade

Another issue... i now realize that the ebooks i sucessfully converted were not secure DRM Files. Will this be alot harder, or not work at all... HAS anyone here actually converted a Secure Encrypted .lit or .pdf ebook to .txt or .doc then to ebookwise .imp???

ALSO... Ive noticed the vast majority of ebooks i wish to purchase are available as Palm OS...EReader Format. Any Success at converting these to .imp?

thanks
Old 03-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
ivon
ivon began at the beginning.

Device: i have just ordered an Ebookwise 1150 on ebay and awaiting delivery
I just got delivery of my Ebookwise 1150 and have following queries to the experts:

I charged it for full two hours and again for some 30 mts more but i see the battery level as 10 hrs and 50 odd minutes with full charge display. Is this the normal duration battery would last (in some forums i read up to 15 hours charge)- in front of your given adaptor, i have used a 220 to 120 V convertor i had for a US made radio i use- hope this is ok.
I live in New Delhi and have analog home phone line on which a broadband modem is also connected through which i use my computer. when i connect the phone line to the reader, it starts dialing 1 858 678 8695 but is unsuccessful, what else i am supposed to prefix? is this a US number, in which case do i have to be able to dial international?
when i connect with USB wire and start to register the reader, it asks me DEVICE ID and am unable to locate it from the directions it gives me on the window display. on the reader, i only see "device no registered yet"
how to switch off the backlight when reading in day light? but that is at moment not important query, above are more important as i must register the device first.
ivon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:41 AM   #12
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivon View Post
I just got delivery of my Ebookwise 1150 and have following queries to the experts:

I charged it for full two hours and again for some 30 mts more but i see the battery level as 10 hrs and 50 odd minutes with full charge display. Is this the normal duration battery would last (in some forums i read up to 15 hours charge)- in front of your given adaptor, i have used a 220 to 120 V convertor i had for a US made radio i use- hope this is ok.

The battery life indicator needs to be calibrated by going to the last page of the settings menu and selecting the stay on when charging option. 10 hours sounds about right with the backlight on high. The 220/120 volt converter should work fine but if you can find a 220VAC adaptor with the same output it would be better. I'm not sure if you have 50Hz or 60Hz power there but the supplied adaptor does not like 50Hz, it runs much hotter than I like. I had to use a converter when in Tonga last year and altho it worked, it was hot.

I live in New Delhi and have analog home phone line on which a broadband modem is also connected through which i use my computer. when i connect the phone line to the reader, it starts dialing 1 858 678 8695 but is unsuccessful, what else i am supposed to prefix? is this a US number, in which case do i have to be able to dial international?

It's a USA only number and you will have to connect via the USB cable.

when i connect with USB wire and start to register the reader, it asks me DEVICE ID and am unable to locate it from the directions it gives me on the window display. on the reader, i only see "device no registered yet"

You don't need to register unless you wish to buy books from eBookwise or Fictionwise. Follow the instuctions in this thread to register the reader.

how to switch off the backlight when reading in day light? but that is at moment not important query, above are more important as i must register the device first.

To change the backlight, tap the top left icon and drag the backlight slider to the left. See the device tour at eBook Technologies. You have the ETI-2 reader, eBookwise calls it the 1150.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #13
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Question

Quote:
To change the backlight, tap the top left icon and drag the backlight slider to the left.
On mine it's the top right, and shows both the 'rotate screen' and then under that the slider bar with the brightness icon - ?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #14
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
On mine it's the top right, and shows both the 'rotate screen' and then under that the slider bar with the brightness icon - ?
I hate when that happens...

You are correct, it's the top right icon, looks like a rotating page.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #15
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
I hate when that happens...
Oh, me three.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote