Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
My 505 has been wonderful. I'd like a modern version of that. I know I'm not going to get a perfect match but want something as close as possible. I don't need web-browsing or a front-lit screen (eyestrain inducing, I'd imagine, even if the light is even and uncoloured). Just a reader.
I wouldn't over think it too much. If you really like your 505, then you'll probably be happiest with the latest Sony.

Quote:
The T2 is the leading contender. I just wonder if there might be something I'm missing like the Nook or Kobo? I don't really know anything about these.
I have the Nook STR, and I do really like it. It's a nice, quality e-reader. I like the screen on my Sony better though. The Nook doesn't refresh the screen every page (instead it's every 5 or 6 pages). That means there can be artifacts left over and the text can get a little ragged after several pages. It would be fantastic if they would just have an option to turn refresh on for every page. They also reserve most of the main memory for Nook books only. Most of my books are not from the Nook bookstore and are from Sony and other places. I have to load these on to an SD card and insert it into the Nook since there is not enough space on the main memory for these non-Nook books.

Kobo has a great bookstore. However, they are constantly doing updates of their firmware to fix issues which would annoy me when you are used to the Sony ereaders that generally "just work".

I know exactly what you mean about greasy hands from lotions & other potions. Seems I always want to read after I get ready for bed at night, and I have to be cautious about the ereader screen. Since you already have a 505, then you are used to having page buttons in the lower-left corner. I use the buttons more on my T2 than the Nook. The Nook buttons are nicer on the side but take more force to press (especially if the Nook is in a cover).

Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's a touch screen. You don't need to use the page turn buttons. I have a 650 and I've only used the page turn buttons twice. That's 2 presses, not two reading sessions.
Well, considering that the OP SPECIFICALLY asked for buttons, I thought my comment was completely on target.

Just because it has a touchscreen doesn't mean everyone will use it. Some of us like buttons. I am one of those people, and apparently so is the OP.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #18
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Just because it has a touchscreen doesn't mean everyone will use it. Some of us like buttons. I am one of those people, and apparently so is the OP.
There was nothing wrong with your post, some people just are happy to use the touch screen and don't see the need for page turn buttons, even if it's specifically mentioned as a requirement, and for some reason don't see why everyone isn't the same. But I'm with you on buttons!

I'm another of those who often reads in bed after applying some hand cream, but that apart, even during the daytime when I'm reading on my PRS350, although I don't particularly like the page turn buttons at the bottom of the reader (as opposed to the side buttons on the Kindle), I use the buttons 99% of the time for turning pages and really only use the touch screen when navigating the home screen and picking a new book.

Some people like the choice of having hundreds of books on their e-readers to choose from, I just like the choice of having some buttons to press and not just the touch screen.
It's one of the reason's I'm yet to upgrade from my Kindle Keyboard.....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Well, considering that the OP SPECIFICALLY asked for buttons, I thought my comment was completely on target.

The OP specifically asked for ePub and yet I see recommendations for a Kindle.

I have read a lot of posts about people saying they don't like fingerprints. But the only experience they've had has been with an LCD screen that is a fingerprint magnet. They not experienced a Pearl eInk screen and how little it collects fingerprints. So when most say they want buttons, the reasoning is usually faulty.

But as far as buttons go, the T2 is the best choice (that I know of) as it also handles ePub. The only other options is to wait and see what Sony brings out for the next model. But there's no guarantee it will have buttons for page turns. I was looking at the I62HD and it's a nice reader, but it has no page turn buttons. Really, either you go with old tech (if available) or no buttons. Unless Sony's next reader has buttons, good luck with buttons.

But one thing that can be used instead of buttons is a stylus. Even a Q-Tip will work with an IR touch screen. So if your hands are greasy with hand cream, you can use your Q-Tip to turn the page.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I'm seeing buttons becoming "old tech" and disappearing, sadly.
The stylus defeats the one handed'ness though...
Old 02-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm seeing buttons becoming "old tech" and disappearing, sadly.
The stylus defeats the one handed'ness though...
There is another solution. Leave hand cream off of your index finger if you plan on reading after using the hand cream.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
A friend of mine bought my old Cybook reader, which is starting to die on her. Being in the US, finding a replacement Cybook isn't working out, so I've been checking out other readers for her (my 350/650 make me happy and are still living well ).

I played with a Nook Glow (which is basically their Touch, with a light). There are buttons on the side bezels to turn pages. There's also a Nook button for turning the light on and off and for opening up the various context menus. However, you will have to touch the screen (just like with the newer Sony's) to do things like choose your book, make notes, etc. For my Sony, I actually use an old make-up brush to swipe the screen, rather than a stylus or my greasy fingers.

Downside of the Nook versus the Sony that I noticed - you HAVE to register the Nook reader before you can use it (unless there's a hack I'm not aware of). So you have to set up an account at B&N, including giving them a credit card. Also, if you put a lot of books on the reader, you'll have to turn more pages to browse them, since the Nook only shows 5-6 books per page, rather than Sony's 10.

I haven't found a store to look at a Kobo. The Kobo system looks more like the logic my friend's Cybook uses. But it seems to me there are more threads on Mobileread about problems with Kobo's, so I'm nervous about recommending one without seeing one in person. But I've heard that the Kobo has the same issue as the Nook - you have to create a Kobo account (if you don't have one) and connect to it the first time before it will let you use it.

I have a 1st gen Kindle that didn't require me to create an account (if I only load no-DRM books). And that's been true for every Sony I've owned. So I find the fact that I *have* to tie the reader to an account before I use it as overly intrusive. Especially with all the social networking crap that both the Nook and the Kobo (Kobo is worse) include in their "reader experience".

I wish I could get my hands on a Pocketbook. They don't require an account before use, although because they're not tied to bookstores, they're also a little more expensive. I tried a Sony T1, and I didn't like it nearly as much as my 650. So I have been keeping my own wishes in mind as I check out the other readers available. But so far, I'm still partial to my 650!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 AM   #23
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
One of the main improvements imho to the T2 is the option for partial refresh, which can be turned off. Sometimes the full refresh can be really noticeable and annoying. The T2 is definitely a lead contender.
However, I've just read FizzyWater's mention of the PocketBook, so looked it up on Youtube where I found a vid of the 360 (uploaded in 2011). Buttons! Lots of Buttons! Also, the battery compartment opens with a slide push, presumable making it easy to change. I imagine this is an old model though.

Quote:
There is another solution. Leave hand cream off of your index finger if you plan on reading after using the hand cream.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #24
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider

Quote:
An even better idea is for you to go touch your own screen somewhere else, where we button lovers don't have to see you doing it in public.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #25
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #26
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Talking about PocketBook, the latest model, the PocketBook Touch (aka PocketBook 622) has a touch screen and buttons. The best of both worlds.
It meets all the OP's requirements.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
I was looking at the I62HD and it's a nice reader, but it has no page turn buttons.
It has.

Quote:
However, I've just read FizzyWater's mention of the PocketBook, so looked it up on Youtube where I found a vid of the 360 (uploaded in 2011). Buttons! Lots of Buttons! Also, the battery compartment opens with a slide push, presumable making it easy to change. I imagine this is an old model though.
Yes, this is an old model and is not produced anymore. This thread in the Pocketbook subforum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203277
discusses it's availability.

If you like the Pocketbook very much you can follow Zetmolm's advice and investigate into the Pocketbook 622.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
An even better idea is for you to go touch your own screen somewhere else, where we button lovers don't have to see you doing it in public.
I will touch my screen in public whenever I want. You button huggers can go hug the tree huggers.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Talking about PocketBook, the latest model, the PocketBook Touch (aka PocketBook 622) has a touch screen and buttons. The best of both worlds.
It meets all the OP's requirements.
I just took a look at the specs and it does indeed meet all the requirements.

But I'd go for the i62HD. It just sounds like a better reader and better hardware too. Plus, the i62HD has a replaceable battery.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-10-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Just use the touch screen with your nose.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote