Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #151
Murleen
Murleen began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
How do you folks know that the Linux was modified? Linux embedded may be being used as it was distributed. The propritary software may be the reader they wrote. I see alot of assumtions being made in this thread, and not alot of facts. You are perfectly welcome to run software on Linux and not release the code to that software. It is not a component or modification of the Linux OS.
I looked at the kernel image included in the 538 update - it has been modified to include drivers for the e-ink controller. These are statically linked into the kernel, so definitely count as modifications for the purposes of the GPL.

Someone else previously posted saying that the boordr application also included GPL code (meaning Bookeen themselves would be violating), but I haven't checked that myself...

Last edited by Murleen; 04-23-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Murleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #152
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In a court case for copyright infringement (as with that idiot woman in the US whose name escapes me), damages are generally awarded based on the commercial value of the goods being pirated. The commercial value here would seem to be zero.
Rather than actuall damages you can ask for Statutory damages... from $750 to $30,000 per incident. If the copyright holder can prove that the infrigment was done willfully and for profit than the award can be increased to not more than $150,000.
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #153
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Yes, you're free to modify and run whatever GPL code you want as long as you don't distribute it.
I agree, that's how I read it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Once you do, you're required to provide end users with the exact source code you used or with instructions on how to reproduce your binaries.
I don't see anything about releasing instructions on how to reproduce the binaries in there. Can you point to where in the GPL it says that. Also, what version are you looking at. Most of Linux is under GPLv2 I believe.

That all said...

How do you know that Bookeen modified and distributed that modified GPLed software?

Writting an app that runs on Linux and releasing it in no way requires that source code to be licensed under GPL also.

BOb
Old 04-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #154
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murleen View Post
I looked at the kernel image included in the 538 update - it has been modified to include drivers for the e-ink controller. These are statically linked into the kernel, so definitely count as modifications for the purposes of the GPL.
If you are so sure of this you should send a notification to license-violation@gnu.org and cc bookeen on it.

BOb
Old 04-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #155
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Someone else previously posted saying that the boordr application also included GPL code (meaning Bookeen themselves would be violating), but I haven't checked that myself...
Is this code in question released under the full GPL or the lesser GPL?

BOb
Old 04-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #156
Murleen
Murleen began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Is this code in question released under the full GPL or the lesser GPL?

BOb
I just had a quick look through "strings boordr", and it looks like the binary includes mupdf and the mad mp3 decoder, both GPL-licensed. A number of other (non-GPL) open source libraries are used without credit - I haven't checked the license terms on those though.

Of course it's possible that Bookeen has paid for a commercial license for some of this software - maybe someone could ask the original authors.
Murleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #157
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just had a quick look through "strings boordr", and it looks like the binary includes mupdf and the mad mp3 decoder, both GPL-licensed. A number of other (non-GPL) open source libraries are used without credit - I haven't checked the license terms on those though.
But, many libraries are released under the lessor GPL which means they can be accessed and linked into propritary software and that doesn't require the accessing software to be released under the GPL. I just checked in mupdf is the full GPL license. However, they do license for commercial sofware... so for all we know bookeen has a license.

I still haven't see incontrivertable proof that bookeen has modified and distributed GPL software. Has anyone just asked bookeen about it?

BOb
Old 04-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #158
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
How do you know that Bookeen modified and distributed that modified GPLed software?
Why is the question interesting? Nobody has said anything about this and most people hera are aware how GPL works. Yes, it is possible to write programs in a Linux system that does not become GPL:ed as long as they are not statically linked to a GPL:ed program.

They are distributing GPLed software and they have to provide the source code.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #159
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But what's the point with something like the Gen3, where you need to create a firmware "package" to change anything? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that those package creation tools are a standard part of Linux, are they? They are almost certainly proprietory software.
Aren't you making a big assumption here, that any revision would be run on the same hardware? Certainly one of the possibilities of modifying the software could be with an eye towards running it on different hardware, where such firmware packaging may not be an issue. It might be possible to adapt it to prototype hardware, or run it in emulation on a desktop, for instance.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #160
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
See here.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:43 AM   #161
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I still haven't see incontrivertable proof that bookeen has modified and distributed GPL software.
It does not matter whether the software was distributed. Bookeen have to provide full source code & toolchain (if not available with the operating system) along with the instruction how to re-create binaries.

If they have modified source code, they have to provide patches. If they did not, they have to provide links to exact versions of software they compiled and distributed. Full stop.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #162
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
It does not matter whether the software was distributed. Bookeen have to provide full source code & toolchain (if not available with the operating system) along with the instruction how to re-create binaries.

If they have modified source code, they have to provide patches. If they did not, they have to provide links to exact versions of software they compiled and distributed. Full stop.

I'm rather sure that the Cybook is nothing but a Netronix EB-100. Having both now, I can compare them side-by-side. I also have the customs declaration of the Netronix and in it they specifically call the hardware by the internal part number "Bookeen ED060KB" as well as by the reference "EB0100". Looking at my Cybook Gen3, I note on the back a label with the part number "ED060KB2". Also, when I first attached my EB-100 to my WinPC on Tuesday, Windows declared itself to have found a new "Cybook" on the USB port I was using.

If this is the case, then I can only say that there's a good chance that Bookeen bought a developer's package from Netronix in order to gain access to the SDK and that part and parcel of that developer's package may well be a legal document requiring them to not freely distribute anything included in the SDK to others outside the firm - but I don't *KNOW* this to be true. However, I could always find out if I bought one of the developer's packages myself. I'm not flush with the money needed (They run about $3,000.) or I would do so. Until someone does do so, it's pretty much worthless to discuss as we don't have all the facts.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #163
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I hate to belabor the fact, but you need to read the GPL again.

If you modify GPL licensed software and you only use it internally then there is NO requirement to distribute the modified software. So, it DOES matter if the software is distributed. Of course, shipping the device is the equivilent of distrbuting the software.

Quote:
If they have modified source code, they have to provide patches.
I certainly agreed. However, the first word in the above is the MOST important one, "IF". So far everything on this thread is pure conjecture.

Quote:
If they did not, they have to provide links to exact versions of software they compiled and distributed. Full stop.
That is totally false. There is no requirement when USING a GPLed software that you have to provide links to that software. I belive you only have to include the license with your distributed software/device. Take a look at the GPL FAQ from GNU.org. I think this one applies here:

I just found out that a company has a copy of a GPL'ed program, and it costs money to get it. Aren't they violating the GPL by not making it available on the Internet? No. The GPL does not require anyone to use the Internet for distribution. It also does not require anyone in particular to redistribute the program. And (outside of one special case), even if someone does decide to redistribute the program sometimes, the GPL doesn't say he has to distribute a copy to you in particular, or any other person in particular. What the GPL requires is that he must have the freedom to distribute a copy to you if he wishes to. Once the copyright holder does distribute a copy program to someone, that someone can then redistribute the program to you, or to anyone else, as he sees fit.

BOb
Old 05-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #164
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
That is totally false. There is no requirement when USING a GPLed software that you have to provide links to that software.
Bookeen DISTRIBUTES it, not USES.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #165
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Until someone does do so, it's pretty much worthless to discuss as we don't have all the facts.
We have the facts: reverse-engineering gives traces of GPLed software. NOTHING ELSE MATTER: any NDAs, SDKs or any other crap. IT IS IRRELEVANT DID THEY SIGN ANYTHING. Bookeen distributes GPL-ed software without giving full instructions of how to build it.