Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #16
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
no good astronomy apps? so GoogleSky and the the nasa app's don't cut it?

oh well to each his own as they say
No, GoogleSky, etc. are nothing like as powerful as SkySafari or even Distant Suns. SkySafari is excellent. GoogleSky is more for a casual astronomer. I like detailed (down to fairly low magnitude) star maps, ability to show detailed info on comets, planets, etc. Something you could use at the telescope.

If you google around for astronomy apps, other astronomers agree with me.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #17
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
But Apple already restricts what you can do with your tablet
No they don't.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
No they don't.
can you download movies outside of iTunes?
can throw in your sd card from your camera to view your photos or video's?
can you store your music anywhere but iTunes to work with your iPad?
cany you view flash content from the web without the help from third party apps?
can you optimize your home screens?
can you utilize widgets?
can you watch movies in their native 16:9 Aspect ratio. enjoy those chunky black bars like we did on our old CRT (square TV's)

ok my fingers are getting tired.

so yes apple does restrict your use of your iPad since the answer to all these questions is NO.

But hey it does have an Apple logo on the back, that's all that really matters though

Last edited by boswd; 05-17-2011 at 02:38 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #19
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
my favorite one is the fact that apple locks out access to play anything over 720p Main Profile HD videos. it's fully capable of playing High Profile HD but apple won't let it. this is for both ipads and the appletv. xbmc and vlc allow it, but you have to jailbreak - which you couldn't do on ipad2 last time i checked.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #20
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
No they don't.
Did someone enable Flash on the iPad while I wasn't looking?

What boswd said ^^^

And that's not even taking into account the way Apple is manuvering to kick 3rd part content providers off their system.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #21
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Also, I could not find all the apps I wanted on an Android device. For example, there are still no good astronomy apps available for Android, certainly not at the level of some of those available for iOS. There's no 800-pound gorilla of a single company urging developers to write/convert apps for Android.
Party of that is the fact that there are so many versions of Android out there that manufacturers cant really write apps easily for them. and its been complained about regularly by developers. but google has said that it will be streamlining its operating system into one OS instead of a tablet and phone os.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #22
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I find that's another aspect that is highly over eggarated. Almost all apps nowadays are written for V2.1 and higher in which the apps all perfom well across the three different software version and are all compatible, barring any hardware limitations ie camera's etc.

and with over 90% of all Android phones running on 2.1 and higher these claims seem rather outdated.

http://www.eurodroid.com/2011/05/sta...-66-of-phones/

Last edited by boswd; 05-17-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #23
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smile

Quote:
Did someone enable Flash on the iPad while I wasn't looking?

What boswd said ^^^

And that's not even taking into account the way Apple is manuvering to kick 3rd part content providers off their system.
There are several browsers on ipad that let you watch flash movies and content but not actually play flash games yet.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #24
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Oh no, another "Ipad vs Android" thread. Silly me, thinking this was going to be a discussion about the current state of Android...
Andanzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #25
covfam
Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Waay over exaggerated, noboby writes apps for v. 1.6 (cupcake) ect. almost 80% of the android phones out there now run 2.1 and higher.
im not saying they write apps for 1.6 im saying that devs have complained (two different things)
Data collected during two weeks ending on May 2, 2011 of android ussage share

Honeycomb 3.0 0.3%
Gingerbread 2.33 3.0%
Gingerbread 2.3 1.0%
Froyo 2.2 65.9%
Eclair 2.0&2.1 24.5%
Donut 1.6 3.0%
Cupcake1.5 2.3%

So while yes Froyo has the most users there are still more cupcake and donut users than gingerbread and honeycomb users, and nearly a quarter of android users are still on eclair. thats is why developers complain.

Here is the linkie to those numbers on android developers taken from people acessing the android market http://developer.android.com/resourc...-versions.html
Old 05-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
But Apple already restricts what you can do with your tablet, and it appears that things are only getting more restrictive. That's what I mean by chained.

Regardless if anyone else feels chained in or not, I know that I would. That's why I've written off the iPad, as nice as the hardware is. Whether I'll stick with that or not, or break down and buy an iPad2 6 months from now I have no idea. But, I just don't like what Apple is doing, and don't intend to get involved in their system.
There are more than enough free apps with the ability to be used to my satisfaction to keep me a happy iPod touch user.

Because I have nothing invested monetarily wise, I can walk away from iOS and switch to Android (if they ever get something to compete with the touch).

My iOS device (iPod touch 4) and Android device (Nook Color rooted) are strictly entertainment gadgets. I only download free content and if an app disappears or becomes too restrictive to use, I'll just find another free one to replace it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #27
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
im not saying they write apps for 1.6 im saying that devs have complained (two different things)
Data collected during two weeks ending on May 2, 2011 of android ussage share

Honeycomb 3.0 0.3%
Gingerbread 2.33 3.0%
Gingerbread 2.3 1.0%
Froyo 2.2 65.9%
Eclair 2.0&2.1 24.5%
Donut 1.6 3.0%
Cupcake1.5 2.3%

So while yes Froyo has the most users there are still more cupcake and donut users than gingerbread and honeycomb users, and nearly a quarter of android users are still on eclair. thats is why developers complain.

Here is the linkie to those numbers on android developers taken from people acessing the android market http://developer.android.com/resourc...-versions.html

What you are saying was correct a couple of years ago, when v1.6 was out and when Eclair 2.1 first started to roll out. Eclair called for a stronger more powerful processor and graphics etc. and with the majority of the phones running v1.6 is was a chore for developers.

but right now with over 90% of all Android phones running 2.1 and higher, the apps written work seamless (barring hardware limitations) across 2.x phones.
Developers don't have to write separate applications for v2.1 and then another for 2.2 and then 2.3. So a phone running Gingerbread is going to be able to run apps from 2.1 and 2.2

Most apps downloaded now, will state v. 2.1 and higher required.

The whole developers are frustrated for having write mulitple apps version to be compatiable with multiple android software versions just isn't true as it was 2 years ago. And even then it was mostly because the v1.6 phones didn't have the power nor the features. to keep up. Nowadays a 1Ghz and a now dual core processors, has made it alot easier for developers.

Last edited by boswd; 05-17-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #28
covfam
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
There are more than enough free apps with the ability to be used to my satisfaction to keep me a happy iPod touch user.

Because I have nothing invested monetarily wise, I can walk away from iOS and switch to Android (if they ever get something to compete with the touch).

My iOS device (iPod touch 4) and Android device (Nook Color rooted) are strictly entertainment gadgets. I only download free content and if an app disappears or becomes too restrictive to use, I'll just find another free one to replace it.
Hey tubemonkey i played around with the nook color the other day and its a slick lil guy i actually like it alot better than my galaxy tab. when you root the nook color are you using the honeycomb tablet OS or one of "phone" androids like froyo or gingerbread?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You can't both want Android to be open source and not tied in to one company, and want Google to have complete control over it. Open source means that other companies can take it and do things you might not want them to.
That's not what I want. I want Google to take the reigns and tighten control. I really don't care about open source.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Oh no, another "Ipad vs Android" thread. Silly me, thinking this was going to be a discussion about the current state of Android...
I like both