Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
jimplasticguy
jimplasticguy began at the beginning.

Device: None
M-Edge K3 Covers have finally arrived... Almost

I have been eagerly awaiting the M-Edge release of covers for the K3, as my Go-Jacket is almost perfect for me on the K2. They are now showing the new jackets available, along with pictures, descriptions, and price. The only hitch is that they are "coming soon."

http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindle3/

The other problem for me is that they have, for some reason, ditched what I thought was the most elegant solution for attaching the reader, a hybrid of the hinge attachment on the left, with the two right hand corners using the traditional non-Amazon leather strip. That system for the K2 covers worked perfectly, was very secure, and addressed issues with hastily pulling the cover open from the back and damaging the Kindle attached to the hinge.

I keep speculating whether they have just dropped the ball on some of these issues (getting them to market on time, losing the perfect attachment), or if somehow Amazon has decided to be more prominent in the case business and withheld prototype and technology license on the hinge. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the aftermarket guys are getting squeezed out. With serious profit-margin squeeze on the devices, up-selling covers and lights is a great way to make a few more bucks. That is all just speculation. I just can't come up with reasons for a company with the product track record of M-Edge to be stumbling.

Jim
jimplasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
You got me all excited then, I thought you were going to say they could be pre-ordered or something. They've been showing the images & prices for a fair few days now. I love the look of the executive cover, preferably in purple & I am trying my very, very best to be patient. Thing is, I know even once I can order one I'll still need to wait for it to be shipped to the UK.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
There's a thread over at Kindle Boards about this. M-Edge has a presence there and have stated that they will not be using the Amazon connection system and are committed to the corner strap system. People are also upset that some products used to be leather and now they're artificial leather but still cost 50% more than the Amazon cover.

The KBers are also upset at the color choices, particularly the elimination of some of the brighter covers on the Latitude Jacket which are still made for the nook. There's quite a backlash with some people who have as many as four M-Edge covers saying that they won't be buying M-Edge for their K3.

M-Edge actually asked for feedback a month ago but apparently didn't incorporate any of the suggestions. They still make the Latitude Jacket in my choice of color, but my wife is disappointed.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
There's a thread over at Kindle Boards about this. M-Edge has a presence there and have stated that they will not be using the Amazon connection system and are committed to the corner strap system.
Too bad as the bottom corner straps in their photos come very close, if not actually touching, the Shift and Back buttons. Some of the photos of their covers show shadows cast on the screen by those butt-ugly straps. I think I'll stick with my non-lighted Amazon cover for now.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I'm extremely disappointed in M-Edge's decision not to use the hinge. I really don't know what they were thinking.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I'm extremely disappointed in M-Edge's decision not to use the hinge. I really don't know what they were thinking.
I thought that I read somewhere that Amazon has a patent on their connection system. Maybe M-Edge didn't want to pay a licensing fee, or maybe Amazon started charging a license fee.

After using the Amazon cover on my K3 while waiting for M-Edge to release their covers, I've decided to keep my Amazon cover for use around the house, although I'll probably get the Latitude Jacket for out and about. I'll have to say that I like the way the K3 looks in the Amazon cover without anything to get in the way.

I'm not sure why Amazon didn't introduce a third or even fourth slot and hook to secure the right hand side. The slot could be anywhere above the previous button and/or below the next button on the right hand side. The third/fourth hook on the cover would allow the K3 to just be pushed down and click in kind of like the upper left hook.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
caryanne2
caryanne2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
The new m-edge latitude jacket is awesome! The colors itself are an improvement on a bright/neon ones for the DX and other kindles. But the fact that it has a built in stand is excellent. I love it. I wish I had a K3 now so that I could buy the new jacket....
caryanne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
jimplasticguy

The Latitude jacket does look pretty neat. It looks like the light might not fit inside though...

Since I procrastinated before deciding to give my wife a slightly used K2 gift, mine isn't due for another week or so. I think I am going to continue holding out for my security blanket of hinge AND one or two corner straps. Octovo had a hinge + one-strap solution for K2. Maybe they have something in the works... I would pay more for it and real leather. Silly corporate marketing people. They always think we want the cheapest, as they race to the bottom in a frantic drive for low profit and higher volume, forgetting their niche. Interesting that McDonalds has a dollar menu AND a 4 buck Angus menu.

I read all of the flaming over at the other board with strong opinions on one or the other attachment system. That is why I like it here. Mature readers and thoughtful discussion. I am a mechanical engineer. The security of the hinge and straps on the K2 M-Edge Go-Jacket just makes sense to me. I am sure that one or the other makes sense to other folks.

Jim
Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Wont be buying MEdge this time; given the tiny size of the K3, those straps are just ugly. The hinge and strap method was good; the Noreve rail system was brilliant but dont think they will be able to design that for the K3; if oberon produce slip covers I might think about that. At the moment I have two fabric sleeves bought off etsy; as long as I dont drop it they might just be enough.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
jimplasticguy

Wow. I never saw that Noreve case before. That is very nice. That settles it. I am definitely holding out. A nice case can be a third or half the cost of the Kindle. I will find some kind of generic sleeve until someone earns my money.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:39 PM   #11
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimplasticguy View Post
The Latitude jacket does look pretty neat. It looks like the light might not fit inside though...
Based on the K2 model the eLuminator2 light will not find inside. There's two pockets on the back of the Latitude Jacket. The upper one is the one that the flat part of the light slips into. The lower one is designed to hold the light when not in use. When I tried it out at Best Buy it's a very tight fit and it definitely bulges. I haven't found the need for a light yet so I haven't purchased one.

The new Capital Jacket appears to be very similar to the Latitude Jacket but the light will fit inside. Because of this it doesn't have the back pockets but has a similar pocket on the front.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:33 AM   #12
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Having just discovered the executive jacket is synthetic leather I'm not so sure it's worth the money, not to mention the hassle of having it imported. Amazon may not have the colour I wanted, but they do have the hinge system & are genuine leather. Decisions, decisions .
Old 09-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Look at Inique for covers, http://www.i-nique.com/model.asp/cn=6/c=544

I have one for my Sony PRS and I love it, I want the one with the Dragon on it

They are in the UK, free shipping, and a 30 day returns policy, only thing is they are not in stock for another month

This is the one I have for my Sony

http://www.i-nique.com/detail.asp/cn...=5055205263496

so torn between the Black Dragon, or the Red Napa case. I only have the Amazon case as I am going away for a week on the 18th September. I don't need two cases but may end up with two!

Last edited by Josieb1; 09-01-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
Erinath
Shy Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Look at Inique for covers, http://www.i-nique.com/model.asp/cn=6/c=544
They are in the UK, free shipping, and a 30 day returns policy, only thing is they are not in stock for another month
Ooooooooo now that's pretty interesting, thanks for the link. A bit naughty of them in my opinion to claim some of their items are leather when they are artificial leather, but still some quite nice designs.

The leather book cover type one looks as nice as the m-edge executive, plus it actually is leather. Just a shame about the lack of colour options.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
jimplasticguy

Regarding the interesting Noreve design, I sent an email to them in France, and received the following response:

Quote:
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your email.
This case is under production. We will launch it in less than 2/3 weeks.
We will inform you as soon as we launch it on-line.
Thank you for your interest in our brand.

My best regards,

Michaël
I think I may just wait on this one. Maybe get a cheap sleeve until then. Thank you Pushka for the lead on that one. Also, I believe that there is a pretty good chance that none of the aftermarket folks got an early prototype to work with, hence the delay. I don't know that for a fact, but based on my gut, I am not going to reward Amazon for getting a leap on the competition that way. I love Amazon, but I don't owe them my case business.

One final thought as jimplasticguy. I have not held the Amazon lighted case, but from what I see, it looks like there is a curved piece of plastic that is pushed flat when slid into the case. If that is so, then I am very concerned about creep or - more importantly - stress relaxation and loss of shape, resulting in less than optimal lighting position over time. Some polymers, like Acetal, will handle being a spring better than others. I am not sure what they used.

Now you know. I am a plastic wonk.

Jim