Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:29 AM   #16
chrisix
Enthusiast
chrisix began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
New error in 0.7.1
Same situation, iPad Icon is visible, no books in list.
iTunes language German.

list index out of range

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 58, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 262, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 208, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 1380, in _get_library_books
IndexError: list index out of range
Old 06-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #17
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

chrisix: I need to see a debug trace.
Please start calibre in debug mode from a command line with the following incantation:
Code:
calibre-debug -g
Do the same actions that cause the crash.
Copy the contents of the command window and send it to me as a PM.

G
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #18
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

chrisix: Please download the attached script, unzip it to your desktop, then run it from a command line with this invocation:
Code:
calibre-debug -e iTunes-Windows-chrisix.py
then PM me the output.

G
Attached Files
File Type: zip iTunes-Windows-chrisix.py.zip (3.3 KB, 554 views)

Last edited by GRiker; 06-07-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #19
GRiker

To all iPad users with an international version of iTunes installed: 0.7.1 still has some problems due to language differences, but they should be resolved by 0.7.2.

G
Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
oltmannv
oltmannv began at the beginning.

Smile iPad not showing in Calibre 0.7.1

I'm VERY pleased to see iPad connectivity on Calibre, and the new interface for 0.7x looks great!

Unfortunately, the iPad does not show in my Calibre window next to Library. I've tried a variety of things (starting iTunes first, not starting iTunes first, disconnecting and reconnecting the iPad, updating Calibre from 0.7.0 to 0.7.1.

Here's my information

iPad 3G 32 GB model
iTunes 9.1.1.12
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64 Bit ), Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600

calibre-debug -d results and a screen shot of my System Summary are attached

Thanks, Vanessa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vanessa System Summary.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	52944  
Attached Files
File Type: txt Calibre-debug -d Vanessa.txt (7.9 KB, 801 views)
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #21
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltmannv View Post
Unfortunately, the iPad does not show in my Calibre window next to Library. I've tried a variety of things (starting iTunes first, not starting iTunes first, disconnecting and reconnecting the iPad, updating Calibre from 0.7.0 to 0.7.1.
Open a command window with iTunes open and the iPad connected. Then type the following invocation:
Code:
calibre-debug -g
After calibre is finished loading, PM me the contents of the command window.

G
Old 06-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #22
oltmannv

iPad not showing in Calibre 0.7.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltmannv
Open a command window with iTunes open and the iPad connected. Then type the following invocation:
Code:
calibre-debug -g
After calibre is finished loading, PM me the contents of the command window.
G
Here's the command list you asked for:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\vanessa>calibre-debug -g
Starting up...
link hasn't been detected!
link hasn't been detected!
ITUNES:can_handle_windows():
Launching iTunes
ITUNES:_launch_iTunes():
Instantiating iTunes
[iTunes - 9.1.1.12 (launched), driver version 0.4.0]
found connected iPad in sources
ITUNE.reset()
existing thumb cache at 'C:\Users\vanessa\AppData\Roaming\calibre\caches\i tunes
\thumbs.zip'
Started up in 4.05399990082
ITUNES:get_device_information()
ITUNES:free_space()
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
ITUNES:books(oncard=None)

ITUNES._get_library_books()
Library source: 'Library' kind: Library
Job: 2 Get list of books on device finished
list index out of range

File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 208, in boo
ks
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 1380, in _g
et_library_books

list index out of range

File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 208, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 1380, in _get_libra
ry_books
Old 06-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #23
oltmannv

iPad not showing in Calibre 0.7.1

I just read through the debug dump that I posted - one more relevant piece of information. I DO have a number of epub books in iTunes that I copied in manually, although the itunes "get Library books" doesn't seem to see it. Not sure why, as they appear in itunes under the "Books" section in the library

Vanessa
Old 06-08-2010, 05:31 AM   #24
GRiker

oltmannv: Are you using an international version of iTunes (i.e., other than American English)?

G
Old 06-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #25
TimSergay
TimSergay began at the beginning.

Dear GRiker, I have done steps 1-7 but I still get "Error communicating with device" message. Calibre reports next to library icon: Reader 4.8GB available, but I see no books (I know this iPad has some books in its OEM library). I'm stuck, new to list, new to the iPad. Thanks for any clues. --Tim Sergay
Old 06-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #26
chrisix
Enthusiast

TimSergay, be careful if there is no filter in the "Search:" box.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #27
TimSergay

Dear Forum, I also have a 26.6MB PDF file of a book that I can't convert to EPUB format. Calibre runs and runs but never completes the task. The PDF is an image file, not editable OCR. Is that the problem? Calibre successfully converted a similar PDF image file of a Russian book, but as I browse it in the PC-based "reader" it seems the page breaks start rotating, so that each page shows a portion of one page and below that a portion of the next. Most unsatisfying. How it looks on the iPad is impossible to tell, since I can't make Calibre communicate with the device. I'm running XP Pro, all up to date, and the newest iTunes. Thanks for any help. --TimSergay
Old 06-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #28
chrisix
Enthusiast

@TimSergay: try to optimize file size in Acrobat first.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #29
GRiker

Hi Tim,
There's a revised version of the driver that will be coming out with the next release of calibre (0.7.2) sometime this weekend. You can wait to see if things work under 0.7.2, or you can send me a debug trace.

If you want to send me a debug trace, open a command window, then type this invocation:
Code:
calibre-debug -g
When things grind to a halt, copy the contents of the command window and post it here in a reply.

Please include your OS and the language of your iTunes installation.

G
Old 06-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #30
TimSergay

Thanks, GRiker, I typed "calibre-debug -g" without the quotation marks at the command prompt but nothing happens, and the command window would not allow me to copy and paste its contents. OS is Win XP Version 2002, SP3; language of iTunes installation is English as far as I have... No, wait, the installation window was in Russian, like all my Apple upgrades since I set Win XP to think of itself as Russian. Hmmm. The interface of iTunes is certainly English, but the windows guiding me through the installation were Russian. Is this a clue?
Closed Thread